2014 Rubicon 2 Door Suspension Lift Advice

Post pics and info of your current projects.
4 LOW

2014 Rubicon 2 Door Suspension Lift Advice

Postby 4 LOW » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:32 pm

So, I want to be able to run 35" tires with stock fenders. I have looked at Rubicon Express, AEV and Teraflex lifts. Thinking 3.5".

Thoughts on which of those are better for 70/30 road to off road?

Thinking about KM2 tires. Planning on 17x9 new offset rims.

4 LOW

Postby 4 LOW » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Second part - if I order this from Quadratec or online wherever, is it truly a bolt on kit? I am thinking short arm not long. I want something that will keep all the alignment correct. Can it be done in the garage on stands?

--Rob

4 LOW

Postby 4 LOW » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:48 pm

...and what if I have to use an 18" rim instead of 17" as the rim I want is not available in 17"...rrgh! Performance issue or just cost?

klinger

Postby klinger » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Check out metalcloak. I'm running there kit on my tj and am very happy with it. They also have kits for the JK's and it is a bolt on kit. You can order it as a kit or individual parts to save the budget. When it's time to get a lift for my wife's 4 door it'll be metalcloak or the rock crawler kit that a lot of the guys are running.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:38 am

35's on a JK is nothing more than an inexpensive spacer lift away. Especially since you're starting with a Rubi, which already have higher quality shocks from the factory. Remember that successfully running larger diameter tires has very little to do with lift height, it's all about bump stop placement... 3.5" of lift on a JK will easily allow you to run 37's with stock fenders, 40's if you trim them...
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Red Dawn

Postby Red Dawn » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:04 am

If possible I would try to stick with 17 inch rims or smaller for two reasons; cost of tires and more rubber for when you're off road.

I lifted my JKU in the garage on stands. I did Teraflex 2.5 inch coils and 5100 bilstein shocks. I already had spacers from a previous lift so I ended up with 3.5 inches of lift. The Teraflex 2.5 inch lift kit came with a rear track bat relocation bracket and I purchased a front track bar relocation bracket which really beefed up the original bracket which looked really wimpy.
My drag link is a little low compared to my track bar still, so I have a small amount of bump steering so my next thing to make it just right is installing a drag link flip.
I put on the AEV front lower control arm relocation brackets at the same time as I installed the lift, I'm not sure how much of a difference they make but it seems logical that they would help since I didn't put ne control arms on.
I'm running 33's on 17 inch rims and like it, but I want to upgrade to 35's once I get new diff gears.

Oh ya with 3.5 inch lift you may need to consider your front axle either an aftermarket or exhaust spacers. I went with exhaust spacers for now and
the axle boot hasn't hit the cross exhaust section yet.

Brett

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:49 pm

Solid advice on the tires. Stick with 17s with proper backspacing.

Spacers, 35s, bumpstops and FUEL. Lots and lots of it.

4 LOW

Postby 4 LOW » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Can you help me understand this bump stop thing? Not sure I am understanding - wouldn't I run the bump stop that the kit called for? Or do I get something else?

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 am

4 LOW wrote:Can you help me understand this bump stop thing? Not sure I am understanding - wouldn't I run the bump stop that the kit called for? Or do I get something else?

That depends on what you are trying to achieve... Most quality suspension kits out there will come with a bump stop of some sort, but where that bump stop does it's job may not jive with your desired tire choice. Check with the suspension mfg on their tire size recommendation, and ask them if more (or less) bump stop is an option so you can run the tire size you want. If they don't want to play, it's not a huge issue - there are many fine folks on this forum that can help you properly setup your bumps.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:32 pm

JK DualSport RS Suspension 3.5"/4.5" is what I run with my 2 door Rubi. Excellent kit and comes with the geomotry correcting brackets that keep the front axle in the proper place!.

If I were running 35's I would do the 2.5 kit. I looked at MetalCloak, Terraflex, Pro Comp, Rack Krawler and many others. I found the AEV kit to be the right fit for my usage. 70/30 street/dirt.

back spacing:
5.5â€

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”