14 Rubi... Money pit!

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Wrongway

14 Rubi... Money pit!

Postby Wrongway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 am

Gonna try and cover most of the things that are already done. No joke when they say "Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket"..

Conception - Purchased from local dealer. Year end sale, got a really good deal on it. (better than u think). 2014 Rubi 6 speed, 4.10's. Basic model.

Will follow up with additions as they went in order..

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:22 am

First to go on was the lift kit.

After researching as many as possible. ie: Metalcloak, Teraflex, Rusty's Offroad, Rubicon Express, Pro-Comp, Rancho etc.. I decided on a lift kit from AEV-conversions.com

I wanted street drive ability with the best possible off road abilities as a second duty. With that in mind, I chose the JK DualSport RS Suspension 3.5"/4.5". 2 Door provides 3.5 of lift as I wanted to run 37" tires.

About a week later.. I welcome the brown truck... Purchased from Quadratec due to free shipping. :)

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:31 am

Average wrenching skills.. I took on the lift kit myself. Total time of installation was about 8 hours. (helps to have a lift) I would imagine much longer if using jack stands.

I was impressed with the kit as all the parts fit well and there were no issues. Later on I found that the remote reservoirs on the rear shocks had loose fittings which caused a little bleeding of oil. Not enough to effect the shocks, but noticing it early helped.

Stock

Lifted

Stock height:

Lift height:
Last edited by Wrongway on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:56 am

That AEV kit is very, very nice.

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:12 pm

OldGreen wrote:That AEV kit is very, very nice.

I'm very happy with it. Seemed a bit strange that most message board members advised it was the most expensive kit out but I found it to be cheaper than any competitors comparable kits. Metalcloak being the most expensive.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:16 pm

The thing about the AEV stuff is that it is actually designed by engineers. If I could afford to build a JK, I would just beat the crap out of it with the AEV parts list. :lol:

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Next were the fenders. The stock plastics were driving me nuts!

I did find the Metalcloak fenders to be decent looking but too expensive, I also looked at the bushwackers, but just not feeling the style.

I ended up going with some Poison Spyder crusher aluminum flairs. Was only slightly more money than the steel version but much lighter.

Old removed.

New Crushers.. Oh and what a PITA they are to install!

At this point all the fenders and lift were done. I know... The bumpers and *white* inner fender wells are hideous..

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Great start keep us fed... We love watching other guys spend and wrench...

Lookin' good so far, but I'll bet there's more to tell...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:10 pm

All around what I thought would be best were 37X12.50 Goodyear MT/R with the Kevlar sidewall. It was a toss up between IRoks, but I figured the GY would be better on pavement.

Wheels... Big mistake by listening to a certain person at Les Schwab. I'm sure there are some knowledgable people there, but not this guy.

I purchased some black wheels made by "Fuel" and measured 17X9 5X5 bolt pattern with a 5" backspacing. (stock being 6") When asking the "expert" at les schwab, I'm running 37x12.50 tires.. Will they rub with these wheels anytime lock to lock? *expert* "nope, just put a set on a 2 door rubi just like yours with 38's and there was no rubbing". Don't take his word for it. Do some research. :)

Needless to say, I had to purchase some 1.5" spacers to stop all the rubbing. Decent looking wheel, but I wasn't happy with the transaction and customer service.

Notice the fender wells... (black now)... info later on that. :)

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Inner fender wells.. Grill..

Yeah, so the white was just too much and not right for the theme.

I did some research and found this... https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

I'm surprised as to how durable it is. It takes a beating! Gravel roads at 60.. not a mark inside the wheel wells.

Anywho.. until it proves me wrong, (winter maybe?) I will use it. The white was just too much!

Oh and got the windows tinted. Won a tint job at a raffle. Free stuff is good!

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:30 pm

After getting all the tires, I then needed to figure out the spare mount. Stock would end up ripping off the back tailgate so something had to be done.

Teraflex to the rescue.. With optional Hi-Lift/CB Antenna mount. No rattles or shaking. Decent mount.

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:33 pm

JK Lance wrote:Great start keep us fed... We love watching other guys spend and wrench...

Lookin' good so far, but I'll bet there's more to tell...

Yeah, it's kinda turned into a small obsession. It has taken almost a year to get to where it is now with no end in sight.

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Looks good bill, for a JK..... I kid I kid :lol:
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Jafo wrote:Looks good bill, for a JK..... I kid I kid :lol:

:)

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Wrongway wrote:
Yeah, it's kinda turned into a small obsession. It has taken almost a year to get to where it is now with no end in sight.

Well, you're on your own; you're the only one here who resembles that remark. :foufou
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Wrongway wrote:All around what I thought would be best were 37X12.50 Goodyear MT/R with the Kevlar sidewall. It was a toss up between IRoks, but I figured the GY would be better on pavement.

Wheels... Big mistake by listening to a certain person at Les Schwab. I'm sure there are some knowledgable people there, but not this guy.

I purchased some black wheels made by "Fuel" and measured 17X9 5X5 bolt pattern with a 5" backspacing. (stock being 6") When asking the "expert" at les schwab, I'm running 37x12.50 tires.. Will they rub with these wheels anytime lock to lock? *expert* "nope, just put a set on a 2 door rubi just like yours with 38's and there was no rubbing". Don't take his word for it. Do some research. :)

Needless to say, I had to purchase some 1.5" spacers to stop all the rubbing. Decent looking wheel, but I wasn't happy with the transaction and customer service.

Great tire choice, so-so wheel choice, specifically back spacing. I found through research that 4.5" was the top choice, and believe mine to be about 4" the higher the number the more tire inside the well. Your tight spots will most likely be rear sway and rear inside lip of the well itself, not to mention the bumper. You might go back and make them get you awheel with less back spacing, but you'll most likely change out the back bumper. And make sure your bumpstops are long enough to keep you out of the upper wells...

Are your arms adjustable? That will help with rubbing front to rear because you can center your axles in the well.

Let's go put it through the paces...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:59 pm

Lance, bill isn't really a jeep noob.... Geeesh.
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:29 am

Jafo wrote:Lance, bill isn't really a jeep noob.... Geeesh.

Okay, but the older members continually point out how alien these JKs are... Besides it makes me feel special to share...

But you're right I shouldn't re-educate a non jeep noob, too fast. Since most of the JK stuff is contrary to old school stuff... LOL
Last edited by Livin4Today on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lance

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:36 am

Alien? They are just a giant TJ with a mini van motor.

They have done wonders for the aftermarket.

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:38 am

Watching this build...

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:52 pm

OldGreen wrote:Alien? They are just a giant TJ with a mini van motor.

They have done wonders for the aftermarket.

Fact. Ain't a dang thing revolutionary about them, other than the ring & pinion that makes a real dana 44 just a little bit better. 8)

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:57 pm

White trash wrote:Fact. Ain't a dang thing revolutionary about them, other than the ring & pinion that makes a real dana 44 just a little bit better. 8)

So You're sayin' our (JK) 44 are "REAL-ER" than the others? I like it!
Lance

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:53 pm

JK dana 44 ring and pinion are 33 percent stronger than traditional.... large ring and pinion

Digging 2 door JK rubi

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:20 pm

JK Lance wrote:
Wrongway wrote:All around what I thought would be best were 37X12.50 Goodyear MT/R with the Kevlar sidewall. It was a toss up between IRoks, but I figured the GY would be better on pavement.

Great tire choice, so-so wheel choice, specifically back spacing. I found through research that 4.5" was the top choice, and believe mine to be about 4" the higher the number the more tire inside the well. Your tight spots will most likely be rear sway and rear inside lip of the well itself, not to mention the bumper. You might go back and make them get you awheel with less back spacing, but you'll most likely change out the back bumper. And make sure your bumpstops are long enough to keep you out of the upper wells...

Are your arms adjustable? That will help with rubbing front to rear because you can center your axles in the well.

Let's go put it through the paces...

All good info. I do not have adjustable arms but the AEV kit came with geometry correcting brackets that position the front axle back to center. Now the rear axle is another story. I might find myself getting adjustable arms some day to make some adjustments in the future. Currently it's working out pretty good.

As for the bumpers... next post! :)

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Quick view of the geometry correction brackets. This was my one concern as to possible "hang ups" but after reading posts about other peoples concerns, it seems it's a non issue. Maybe having to back up over something, I could possibly see getting caught up.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”