Lil Red

Post pics and info of your current projects.
rjjff

Lil Red

Postby rjjff » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Well started with what Laura is calling "Lil Red" today (AKA Skumby's hand me down). I believe the first of many days ahead. Pulled off the old radiator AC compressor(shot) and did a compression test- all cylinders around 100-110 with #6 around 95. I tested my tester against my compressor air pressure gauge and it was off by about -10PSI. So the first decision is to rebuild or just run it till it don't run no more.
I guess I should explain what my initial plans are for the rig. I am hoping to build a little more road friendly rig to drive back and forth to the Tri-cities to wheel a little more often with you guys.

Livin4Today

Re: Lil Red

Postby Livin4Today » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 pm

rjjff wrote:Well started with what Laura is calling "Lil Red" today (AKA Skumby's hand me down). I believe the first of many days ahead. Pulled off the old radiator AC compressor(shot) and did a compression test- all cylinders around 100-110 with #6 around 95. I tested my tester against my compressor air pressure gauge and it was off by about -10PSI. So the first decision is to rebuild or just run it till it don't run no more.
I guess I should explain what my initial plans are for the rig. I am hoping to build a little more road friendly rig to drive back and forth to the Tri-cities to wheel a little more often with you guys.

Woo hoo more Rich & Laura!
Last edited by Livin4Today on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:20 am

but it seemed to run so well. :cry: i think bryan is going to have n extra 4.0
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:16 am

Run a Marvels Mystery Oil in the engine oil at a 20% mix for several hundred miles and recheck the compression.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

rjjff

Postby rjjff » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm happy with the way it runs. I've read on some other site that its about normal for the miles.I didn't have much time to play with it on Sunday (honey do list) so when I get home from work I'll tinker with It a bit more. If it does end up with low compression my plan is to rebuild.
On that note anyone know were I can find a good quality rebuild kit, or any other parts for that matter. I ussually like to stick with OEM parts for my other rigs but I have a bunch of other things that i would like to replace while Im at it. I checked out rockauto and have a pretty good list compiled. Anyone have any experience with them? Any other source for OEM quality parts on the cheap?

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:45 pm

I've bought a lot of stuff from rock auto. Partsgeek can have good deals as well, it all kind of depends on what it is.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:48 pm

If you rebuild I would look into a stroker kit. A little extra torque is always nice.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:38 pm

x2 on rockauto.
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:05 pm

I order all the parts I can get from Rock Auto. Even ordered some cool seat heater kits lately. :D

For engine kits, Northern Auto is good. They also let you mix and match stuff, so if you want a different cam or pistons, they will do it for you reasonably.

If you are looking for more power while you are at it, I have some info I can dig up. There is a KB piston that has a deeper dish but taller compression height that will allow you to deck the block and get a decent squish clearance without raising the compression ratio much at all. Also, the cams in these things are pathetic on lift and ramp rate, so a good cam with the same timing can give you much more without screwing with the stock computer, you just need good valve springs.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:13 pm

updates?

rjjff

Update

Postby rjjff » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:32 pm

Here you go Al.
Partially done with the rear bumper plan on building a tire carrier for it. Front bumper and winch mount done. Repaired the rear end and installed a Loc-rite in the front 30. I just installed the transmission and engine. Just having a tough time getting it started. I have spark and fuel just won't start. I think I may be a tooth off on the sprocket although the distributer lines up were it should be. I have a little time next week to hopefully figure that out.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:06 pm

that's a shiny a$$ed winch, looks good.

having trouble starting the engine? i did as well when i replaced my engine but found that just because i pointed the rotor at #1 cylinder when the timing marks are lined up to TDC on the harmonic balancer doesn't mean the distributor is installed correctly. when the timing marks are aligned to 0* both #1 and #6 are at TDC but only one of them is on the compression stroke. unbolted the distributor turned my rotor 180* and reinstalled it, started w/o a problem.

so the trans was a self rebuild?

rjjff

Postby rjjff » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:51 pm

I'll give that a try... Thanks Al. Yes I rebuild the transmission myself. I hope it works :D

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Minor hijack... what is the Jeep one bay over. Oh, and Love on the 8274!
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:44 pm

iaccocca wrote:Minor hijack... what is the Jeep one bay over. Oh, and Love on the 8274!

That's Rich's comp cut YJ...
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Looking good Rich, good to hear you'll have a rig to drive over here more often!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:03 pm

Jafo wrote:
iaccocca wrote:Minor hijack... what is the Jeep one bay over. Oh, and Love on the 8274!

That's Rich's comp cut YJ...

That is what I thought, just colors didn't look right. :wink:
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

rjjff

Postby rjjff » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks Al, that was it, turned the Distributer around, started up and ran like a champ,. Took it out for a short drive around the block, parked it in the garage and found tranny fluid squirting out of the dip stick. I think in my attempt to install a breather line on top of the transmission, I accidentally plugged the breather. That sucks. Out with the tranny.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:51 pm

rjjff wrote:Thanks Al, that was it, turned the Distributer around, started up and ran like a champ,. Took it out for a short drive around the block, parked it in the garage and found tranny fluid squirting out of the dip stick. I think in my attempt to install a breather line on top of the transmission, I accidentally plugged the breather. That sucks. Out with the tranny.

so will the tranny survive?

rjjff

Postby rjjff » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:10 pm

I hope I didn't F it up. Everything looked when I was in for the rebuild. Ive been sick the past couple of days so I havent had a chance to get back into it.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:29 pm

So, did you determine you are NOT tearing into the engine?
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

rjjff

Postby rjjff » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Ya, I ended up rebuilding it. Now I just have to get the transmission figured out. Engine runs and soundS great. Ive been sick so really havent felt like digging into it.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:36 pm

rjjff wrote:Ya, I ended up rebuilding it. Now I just have to get the transmission figured out. Engine runs and soundS great. Ive been sick so really havent felt like digging into it.

If I'm remebering correctly you need to move that breather back down further. Looks like you have it right on top of the front pump, which is shooting fluid up into the line.

Here's where I put the vent on mine back when I still had the 3 speed installed.

rjjff

Postby rjjff » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:40 am

That was my plan. Just seems really thin. Did you JB weld yours in?

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:07 am

rjjff wrote:That was my plan. Just seems really thin. Did you JB weld yours in?

No JB weld. I don't remember it being thin, though I put mine almost on top of the spine where it might have been thicker.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”