I'm dreaming of a white YJ Christmas...

Post pics and info of your current projects.
mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:20 am

Sounds like they use the same switches as the Cherokee. You might have the right part sitting on your other project.

Left

Right

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:16 pm

mattawajeep wrote:Sounds like they use the same switches as the Cherokee. You might have the right part sitting on your other project.

Left

Right

Thanks, Dale!

Those look like the correct ones, but my Cherokee ones are very different and wont work. They stick out way too far.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Here is what my Jeep has and obviously they aren't the same, but the under dash light, one each side, do come on if either door is opened.

Driver

Pass.

Also picked up a box of parts for you but blew a Headgasket on the way home. And since I have time waiting for the wife, here is another picture.

James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Fan is bad, and now removed.

Fan, various lights, switches, wiring, and a few other accessories I found on Amazon that I decided I wanted are on order. J.E.E.P. :D

Old stereo wiring is removed:

Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:41 am

Done:

-heater fan replaced, works great!
-stereo wiring cleaned up, stereo relocated to factory hole in dash.
-front speakers wired back up using factory speaker wires
-rear speaker wires installed, will be ordering speaker boxes
-last remaining factory under-dash light remove
-LED strip lights added under dash and along middle rollbar
-new door switches installed and wired
-windshield washer bottle acquired and installed

To do:
-figure out a fix for the shift boots being too stiff and interfering with shifting
-repair spare tire mount
-install rear speakers when boxes arrive
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:11 pm

Pichers, for the picher lovers:

Those LED's sure so throw some light!

Mounted on the flat bottom edge of the dash:

On the roll bar:

They were self-adhesive, flexible half-moon shaped. I stuck them in place, then secured/covered them with one layer of clear packaging tape to protect them and keep moisture out. What they look like turned off:

Went for a little test run in the dark (pesky short daylight days). She flexes out pretty good!

I have some issues with the radiator not pressurizing properly, need to address that before a "real" run.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Found the radiator cap leaking, not allowing system to pressurize at all. Swapped it out for the one off my XJ, now the system pressurizes but seeps out the top of the radiator just a tad. It seems after a good long run, that it has lessened, or sealed itself up a tad. :?:

The suspension is working FANTASTIC. I do have some axle-wrap, though, so plan to install some traction bars when I install the Dana 44's.

I've decided the shift boot stiffness problem was actually a combination of the transmission gear lube and shift boots being too cold. Not going to worry about it.

Still to do:
-mount and wire winch
-mount offroad lights
-repair spare tire mount
-install rear speakers when boxes arrive

At this point, she is entirely "wheel-able", except for legit license plates.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Progress:

Got the speakers installed. I bought a set of these: http://www.amazon.com/Vertically-Driven-53101-Dodges-Yj-Blk/dp/B000MIPR94/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422230698&sr=8-2&keywords=yj+speaker+boxes

They were a great fit. The only complaint is the speaker holes were almost too large for the 6x9 speakers I had on hand.

I also modified the front bumper. I am just not a fan of the "shovel" look, and I have yet to find a purpose for those on the front of a rig. They sure get in the way when trying to use a winch in a tight spot, though. I am glad I removed it, I found out that it was only about 0.060" wall, which would have bent the first time it bumped anything. Not only that, the positioning was terrible. No matter how I tried to situate the offroad lights, the bar was blocking the light beam.

I proceeded to add a plate mount for the winch, and mount tabs for the fairlead. After that, I sanded it down, primed with SEM self-etching black primer, and later coated with SEM Chip Guard Clear, which left a textured clear shell finish over the black primer.

The lights I installed were from Amazon, also: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HLW18T2/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1422231284&sr=1&keywords=led+offroad+lights

Just for reference, I compared these to my old offroad lights that used H3 halogen bulbs (standard-fare for most incandescent offroad lights). The pair of H3 bulbs pulled 8.6 amps. These new LED's pull 3.6 amps for the pair, and appear to be a bit brighter when I tested them inside my shop with the lights off.

These lights are completely sealed shut. The glass lenses are epoxied into the heavy aluminum housings. They are definitely built well, and come with stainless mounts and mount bolts. I have noticed lately that LED lights seem to be dropping dramatically in price, and I am quite surprised at the quality for what I spent. I still need to run them in the dark and see if the light pattern works well for my needs.

Winch and lights, hooked up and ready to go!

I am not a fan of the original mounting of the spare tire carrier, especially seeing that it broke off of the bumper in the accident. I am still debating whether I should keep this and build a more solid hinge point, or just build a whole different carrier. I'm kind of partial to the ones that hinge down on the bumper, like what is on Oddball's new TJ.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

ZMBEKLR

Postby ZMBEKLR » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:43 pm

Looks nice.

I have the same speaker boxes sitting in my garage. I could not use them after the new cage was put in.

I will have to post them in the for sale tab and see if anyone else could use them.

Can you get a night shot of those lights and the pattern they throw? I was looking at those on ebay as well.

Thanks

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Light pattern:

I cant quite remember what I was looking for when I ordered, but I thought I wanted a spot beam as these are labeled.

Well, they are not spot beam. That is not a bad thing, though. I really like the way they work, though anyone facing my direction is not going to like it. :shock:

Low beam headlamp, open field:

Low beams plus flood lights, open field:

Low beams on shop:

Hi beams on shop:

Hi beams plus flood lights on shop:

Basically, when you turn these on, it's like turning on the daylight in front of you!
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:30 pm

After looking at them a bit more, I believe I knew the ad was mislabeled. The LED lights with a focal dish around the LED and flat lens are spot, the ones without the focal dish and textured lens are flood.

I had spot beams on my XJ and did not like the limited focus. I was hoping for a good flood like these.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

ZMBEKLR

Postby ZMBEKLR » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:07 pm

Wow.....that was a quick response. Thank you.

Great pictures. It really shows what they can do.

So do you think if I order the ones you put in the link I will get what you did?

If you decide to do the 50" above the windshield I have the brackets.

95 YJ LS6 Conversion

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:22 am

ZMBEKLR wrote:Wow.....that was a quick response. Thank you.

Great pictures. It really shows what they can do.

So do you think if I order the ones you put in the link I will get what you did?

If you decide to do the 50" above the windshield I have the brackets.

The link that I posted are the exact ones I ordered, and the pictures are exactly what I received. I believe they are just mis-labeled. I figured I could use them regardless of pattern, and couldn't go wrong for $30.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:48 am

I'm not really a fan of lights that far up the kelvin scale, but for 30 dollars that's hard to beat. Ordered a set for my truck. Dunno if they'll go in the foglight holes or get used as bacreverse lights.

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:05 pm

mattawajeep wrote:I'm not really a fan of lights that far up the kelvin scale, but for 30 dollars that's hard to beat. Ordered a set for my truck. Dunno if they'll go in the foglight holes or get used as bacreverse lights.

That high of color temperature is fantastic in the snow, crap in the dry and non existent in the rain.

I have 6k hid's in my pickup and 5k in my wife's xb and they are almost exactly the same since mine are 55 watt and hers are 35 watt. The higher wattage washes the color out nicely. I'm thinking of going to 4300's in my rig since bulbs are $15 a pair and the light would be as pure as possible.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:25 pm

White trash wrote:
mattawajeep wrote:I'm not really a fan of lights that far up the kelvin scale, but for 30 dollars that's hard to beat. Ordered a set for my truck. Dunno if they'll go in the foglight holes or get used as bacreverse lights.

That high of color temperature is fantastic in the snow, crap in the dry and non existent in the rain.

I have 6k hid's in my pickup and 5k in my wife's xb and they are almost exactly the same since mine are 55 watt and hers are 35 watt. The higher wattage washes the color out nicely. I'm thinking of going to 4300's in my rig since bulbs are $15 a pair and the light would be as pure as possible.

I have 5500k 35w HID fogs on my TJ, and they behave like you say, great in the snow, but not as great the rest of the time. The headlights are 4300k 55w HID's, which I switched to from 5000k's. The 4300k's are much nicer.

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:17 pm

mattawajeep wrote:
I have 5500k 35w HID fogs on my TJ, and they behave like you say, great in the snow, but not as great the rest of the time. The headlights are 4300k 55w HID's, which I switched to from 5000k's. The 4300k's are much nicer.
That's good to heat that the 4300's are that much better. Makes for a simple decision. :D

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Spare tire carrier is repaired. Pics to come later.

Radiator is still seeping, but I should have my hands on another radiator soon.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:12 pm

Oops, forgot to take pics of the tire carrier. Oh well.

Progress today!

Removed the seeping radiator, but found the used one I picked up had some small holes. Sent it to R&N for repair.

Spent most of the day installing the front Dana 44 5.13 gears. I had to ream the ring gear bolt holes in the carrier to 7/16", since these are "thick" gears. The gear install sure is a pain without "test" bearings, but I nailed the pattern spot-on. I also had to install the Spartan before the ring gear, as the gear teeth block the cross pin when the ring gear is installed.

Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:22 pm

for test bearings take the old ones off the ring and pinion and run a flap disc on a die grinder just enough to make them slide on and off easy

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:53 pm

I've got a set off 44 test bearings for a 44.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:02 pm

Lurch wrote:I've got a set off 44 test bearings for a 44.

I could use those for the rear. :D

I did a bunch of research today about the numbers etched on the ring and pinion. That helped dramatically. It also helps that these axles were unmolested, and the old wear pattern was very visible on the gears.

I was surprised to find that the Dana 30 yoke is identical to the Dana 44 in spline count. Isn't this one of the changes they made to the JK Dana 44? Bigger shaft and larger spline count?
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Legit plates are acquired! :D

Gotta say, though: 33x12.50's and 4.10's with this engine bring the SUCK on the highway. 5th gear is useless, and 4th gear almost useless. Working on getting the Dana 44 5.13's asap, along with some engine mods to bring this thing up to par. This engine really lacks the throttle response my XJ had.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:10 pm

no JK ring and pinion are larger but yolks are the same.......when have you seen a pinon strip? I have never seen it personally

also with a stock 2.5 4.10s are on the bottom end, just like a 22re its 5.29 for anything over stock. looking forward to your mods to this engine too

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:35 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:no JK ring and pinion are larger but yolks are the same.......when have you seen a pinon strip? I have never seen it personally

I have, striped the front diff on my red 68 down on the Oregon coast. But I am known to be hard on stuff.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”