Hand Throttle

Post pics and info of your current projects.
iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Hand Throttle

Postby iaccocca » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:38 pm

I've wanted a hand throttle, mostly to keep my RPM's up while winching or having another load on the electrical system where having the alternator above idle would be helpful if I am out of the Jeep or want to have my right foot on the brake. I guess I could drive with it too.

All the kewl kids on the interweb show a nice way to hook it up at the throttle linkage if you don't have cruise control. They take a throttle return spring attachment clip of off of a Dakota and attach it to the unused cc nubin. Well, I have cruise control. So my Purple Grand donated its cruise control clip (cruise has not worked on the Grand almost since I bought it)...

...and epoxied it to my cruise control clip.

This allows the slack hand control cable to slide freely and not interfere with the regular throttle cable or cruise control cable.

I've only tested it in the backyard / standing still, but I can dial up the RPM's and hold them while I tinker. Tomorrow I will test drive it to confirm it does not interfere with the cruise, etc.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:52 am

Lee, you could've saved all that time researching and just followed my method...

Find an appropriately sized twig, fight it around your intake, then hope that when you blip the throttle to dislodge it later it doesn't become stuck and you engine runs away wildly...

On second thought, maybe your idea is better.

:wink:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:25 am

Roman wrote:Lee, you could've saved all that time researching and just followed my method...

Find an appropriately sized twig, fight it around your intake, then hope that when you blip the throttle to dislodge it later it doesn't become stuck and you engine runs away wildly...

On second thought, maybe your idea is better.

:wink:

So, you are saying, if I can find a twig at Juniper I might win 3-ball.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:34 pm

I had one of those about 10 years ago on the tj. Works good.
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:37 pm

That is a cool mod Lee. I used to want to put in the little solenoid from a carbed motor for the AC. Just a button on the dash to bump it to 1200....

This is cooler!

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”