Introducing "Project Fordor"

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:49 am

scumby wrote:

if i decide to sand it what is the "correct" grit? any suggestions for all the seams between body parts inside the body? not opposed to chemical stripping either.

The silicone problem can be removed by multiple wipe-downs with paper towels and "wax and grease remover" (any brand, find on the shelf in an automotive paint store). Sanding without wiping down will just grind the tiny silicone particles into the surface, not remove them. Wipe down between every sanding stage. You want to start with the finest sandpaper that does the job and graduate from there, cuttiing your numbers approximately in half each time. Your final cut grit will depend on the paint you are shooting. You can cover 200-300 grit cuts with a heavy fill primer. 400-600 is needed before a top coat. Any finer than that and you may have bonding issues down the road.

For the seams, clean them down to the metal, prime with a self-etching primer, and seal with "seam sealer". Seam sealer comes in a caulking tube, remains semi-flexible, but paint will bond to it.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

ZMBEKLR

Postby ZMBEKLR » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:10 pm

scumby wrote:
klinger wrote:Sweet ride. In what style are you gonna build it. Honestly I think it would be sweet with a buick nailhead with a hydromatic and a set of cheaters out back.[/img]

not really sure I want a V8, I'm thinking a V6 with an auto if i can find a stand alone ECU. Mostly stock interior. Full metal roof with a single color paint exterior.

https://kpr.craigslist.org/pts/5100179611.html

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:20 am

Bought an 03 vortec v6 with the matching 4l60e ecu and all accessories, last night. No need for a stand alone ecu after talking to a guy who can modify the ecu that came with the v6.
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:26 pm

ordered a bunch of parts, most importantly front disc brakes. acquired a ford 9" for the rear. i do need gears for it, the 2.75s won't do. anyone have some 3.73s? stole the tires and wheels form the "lift the suzuki x90" project.

gonna be taking the front axle and associated parts in for sandblasting and powder coating. will have to widen the rear fenders by about 4"s.

plans are the v6 and 4l60e. have found a few peeps that will modify my harness and computer.

slow moving project but that was the plan.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Looks good. Love the mud terrains on it.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:42 pm

any recommendations on frame shops. i want to make sure the frame is straight before i start any work on it.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:15 pm

My friend Geralds brother owns an autobody shop in Pendleton, and has a frame machine.
I will ask him at work tomorrow about it.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Rottwheeler

Postby Rottwheeler » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:40 am

scumby wrote:any recommendations on frame shops. i want to make sure the frame is straight before i start any work on it.

Casaday Beeline in Pasco... talk to Justin. :-)

http://www.casadaybeeline.com/frame-straightening/
Rottwheeler
White 13' JKU Rubicon, 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex suspension, 3:73s, 35" Nittos on American Racing ATX black faux bead locks... for now.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:29 am

Your typical current frame-machine has software with all the manufacturers factory frame specs and measurement locations, much like a typical wheel alignment machine.

I would suspect the frame specifications for this project are much more primitive, ie: can be done with simple tooling like a tape measure. I would also suspect that finding these specifications will be the hard part. :?

Any decent auto-body shop should have a frame machine.

Hope that helps.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:09 pm

by looking at google images there are lots of pics for frame specs not sure which one i would need though.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”