Brakes

Post pics and info of your current projects.
TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Brakes

Postby TJDave » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:08 am

Anyone have a good recommendation for a brake shop?
Not for the Jeep, but for the trusty old 94 F250.
It's not making noise or anything, but I have not had the brakes done since I've owned it. It does have a slight drag somewhere I've noticed when rolling to a stop in neutral. The fluid in the reservoir is also black and dirty.
The parking brake will also not hold it on the ramp with my pig boat behind me. I have to shut it off and put it in first gear to push the boat off the trailer.
Luckily, I'm good at jumping in a moving vehicle. :lol:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: Brakes

Postby scumby » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:04 pm

i recommend TJdaves automotive. as in do it yourself OR bring it over and i'll help. a complete brake job will probably cost about $750. you should have one of those napa union discount cards. BUT if you must take it in i like casaday bee line in pasco for all of my farmed out projects.
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:23 pm

8) I like that idea better.
I'll stop by Napa this week and gather parts.

No hurry on when to do it. It just sits right now.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:57 pm

If you aren't in a hurry, I'd suggest a look at Rockauto. Last time I ordered from them it as about 1/2 the price of the cheaper auto stores, can't imagine what Napa would be.
Pirate and believe jeepforum both have 5% discounts.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:35 pm

For disks, just order loaded calipers and new rotors from Rock Auto. Keep the old rotors as spares and have them turned for the next brake job. You will be way ahead on total cost.

Harbor Freight sells a decent brake flush/bleeder setup for about $30. http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-flui ... 92924.html

They work great. Almost zero mess. Use it to suck the reservoir dry, then fill the reservoir with fresh fluid and suck the fresh fluid to the brakes, one by one. After you see clear fluid coming through, pump the pedal and hold while you tighten the bleeder (the pedal pump helps get that last little bubble out of the caliper).
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:42 pm

So what am I missing about loaded calipers? Most times it's cheaper to buy unloaded calipers and pads separately.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:22 am

Roman wrote:So what am I missing about loaded calipers? Most times it's cheaper to buy unloaded calipers and pads separately.

Whatever is cheaper. If the calipers are original and the fluid is very dark, I would replace them. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and the darkness is an indication of moisture in the fluid. If there has been moisture for a while, there is most likely corrosion in the calipers.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:17 pm

Before throwing everything at it. Take the tires off and inspect them. Your truck is going to have packable front bearings that should also be checked for play. The rears are drums. It may just need the rears adjusted and a brake fluid flush. I have the proper tools to flush the brakes if you need to borrow them. I would even loan you the shop space and lift if you need it.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”