Big Bounder refresh

Post pics and info of your current projects.
scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: Big Bounder refresh

Postby scumby » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:16 am

Roman wrote:Roof is touched up, for now. It'll require more attention soon, still trying to figure out what direction I'll take that project. I sure do miss the full aluminum roof of the old coach!

what's the issue? what routes are you considering?
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

Rottwheeler

Postby Rottwheeler » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:21 am

Saw this and couldn't resist sharing...

Rottwheeler
White 13' JKU Rubicon, 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex suspension, 3:73s, 35" Nittos on American Racing ATX black faux bead locks... for now.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:42 pm

scumby wrote:
Roman wrote:Roof is touched up, for now. It'll require more attention soon, still trying to figure out what direction I'll take that project. I sure do miss the full aluminum roof of the old coach!

what's the issue? what routes are you considering?

What's the issue? It's not aluminum! The old one had a 27 year old sheet of aluminum on it that was perfect. This one is rubber, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was the ORIGINAL rubber...

Has cracks, layers of sealant around roof pens, just nasty in general.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:12 pm

The replacement membrane I told you about installs the same as the original "rubber" roof, but the new membrane can be PVC, which will not flake away like the rubber.

Those rubber roofs are good for 20-25 years before there is nothing left of the membrane and little you can do to keep the membrane from completely falling to pieces.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:10 am

-2 new steer tires and rotate the remaining Bridgestones around to the rear axle DONE
-Fill propane DONE Finally!

I've been trying to figure out a place to fill the MH propane. I've always used Amerigas, GREAT service but their lot was tight with the 27 footer. I decided to stop at Basin Grain & Feed since I was next door at Commercial getting tires already. The guy was great and seemed to know what he was doing, but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get the tank to take propane. Next I reluctantly went to Amerigas, but their fill guy is on vacation. Then down the block to Ferrall Gas, their normal guy was gone too, but the manager came out and unlocked the fuel dock, checked the tank and topped me off! :thu:

Man, what a guy's got to do to get a little gas! :lol2

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Rottwheeler wrote:Saw this and couldn't resist sharing...

is it for sale?

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:51 am

So, I guess a minor recap is in order.

The "new" Kangaroo made it to Camp Schamp and back. In camp everything work great. The only bobble I had was firing the generator. The first time I started it after filling the tank it took a long time to fire. I figured it was due to being under the generator fuel pick up level. Well, guess not. There's another item for the to do list. Once running it purrs, and is smoother and quieter than the old one.

Over the road thing were OK. It doesn't have the "acceleration" of the old motorhome, but never complained. I am a little worried about heating on the big hills this summer, but I guess I'll deal with that IF it happens. I'm used to driving the hills by the temp gauge anyway.

I can't wait to get to the front suspension. Really.
It drives better than the '89 used to before the new shocks and airbags, but when I replace all that (front and rear) along with swaybar bushings f/r, I think it will ride pretty nice.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:27 pm

i had issues with my generator suddenly shutting down as well. thought maybe it was a fuel issue, not. did the filter change and spark plug change thing, no help. i read that two major things cause it to shut down, low oil pressure and no voltage output. every time i checked voltage it was present oil psi was good too. ending up changing the voltage regulator and oil pressure switch, haven't had a problem since but it still cranks for a while after a long non use period (several months).

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:21 am

Once started mine runs perfect. Just took a LONG time to fire up. But honestly, I've only started the generator twice... I have the tune-up on my to do list, so we'll see how that goes.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”