Air locker

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Deputy Dodge 413
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Air locker

Postby Deputy Dodge 413 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:25 pm

I looking for some opinions for differentials. If you were going to run one air locker and one mechanical locker, which axle would each go in? Some say put the ARB in the front to reduce steering wheel effort when it's unlocked. Others say put the ARB in the back to get better turning radius when it's unlocked, with the theory being that a rear mechanical locker won't unlock in the dirt and tends to push the jeep forward. Thoughts????

tobyw

Re: Air locker

Postby tobyw » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:22 am

Very loaded question... give us some specs on the vehicle in question. Things like hubs and wheelbase make a significant difference in the decision, at least in my opinion, which will be worth exactly what you paid for it.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:32 am

I run an ARB in the front and spool in the rear. Works great as a trail rig. Would not recommend it for a driver. Although my wife occasionally driver it to work when the weather is nice. The only time "pushing" has been a real issue was in Moab on the rocks.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:33 pm

I think Toby's remarks are on point. Perhaps you can provide more details about the rig in question. I know it's expensive but selectable lockers front and rear seem to work out well for a lot of folks. It seems to me that being locked in the front end can make it tough to stay in the ruts when running in snow at more than a crawl.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Deputy Dodge 413
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Deputy Dodge 413 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:45 pm

It's for my samurai. Currently locked front and rear on 35" MTRS with chromoly front shafts. I can drive it on the hiway with no more white knuckles than you would expect from an open dif samurai on 35s. Lol. But my turning radius is horrible. 3 point turns on such a short wheel base is ridiculous. I was thinking that the light weight and short wheel base may be leading to some push from the rear. The good news is that the front and rear diffs are the same so I can swap them if I don't like the results. But I'd rather do it right the first time and put the ARB where it will do the most good.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:22 pm

Auto locker front, air locker rear.

Btw, Steve can't stay in the ruts either way... :scared:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:31 am

Roman is a Savage.

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:35 am

I run Arbs front and rear. Then again I run on the road and it's nice to hit a switch. I like the selectability and they stand up to abuse well. You have to make sure you run the air lines in places where they don't catch. The downside is you're relying on air and electrical circuits to make them work. Lose one of the two and that's it. No way to manually lock or unlock them. I've had a rear locker that wouldn't lock and a front locker that was stuck locked. The front was a used locker though that Lurch helped me repair pretty easily.

Another thing I've noticed is in a lot of the Dana axles you have to add drainage notches at the axle tubes near the carrier as the ARBs like to block diff oil from coming back into the center of the diff. Not a lot of people mention this but it causes blown seals and heat which pumps diff fluid out the breather line and all over the back of the Jeep. I fought that for a long time. That and replacing copper lines and the Arb collar seals which are really fun. Also I only run Lucas standard 85-140 diff oil in them. I don't think synthetic does well with them. If I had to do it over again I would run Eaton E lockers. Only one thing to worry about.
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:34 am

Roman wrote:Auto locker front, air locker rear.

Didn't you flop your jeep a few years back while trying to stay in the ruts?
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:18 pm

SPR wrote:
Roman wrote:Auto locker front, air locker rear.

Didn't you flop your jeep a few years back while trying to stay in the ruts?

Yup, back when I had a auto locker front/"spool" (welded) rear. That's EXACTLY the reason I put an air locker in the rear axle.

I used to run open front/welded rear, but found myself in the ditch bank all the time. The front ditch side tire would start falling in then slip and all the power/wheel speed would transfer to the outer tire, throwing the Jeep into the ditch...
Very frustrating to say the least.
Being the "frugal" wheeler I am, I installed a lunch box locker. Ditch Hound problem SOLVED!
But the next problem was the rear "spool" push. I was finally fortunate enough to waste my rear ring & pinion, which created the right opportunity to purchase said air locker. (As we ALL know, you MUST replace your traction device when installing new gears :lol: )

Now, I have not had to opportunity to run it in the snow yet, but I'm very exited to see the difference, and at the very least it gives me a new button to push! :thu:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:57 pm

Roman wrote:
Yup, back when I had a auto locker front/"spool" (welded) rear. That's EXACTLY the reason I put an air locker in the rear axle.

I used to run open front/welded rear, but found myself in the ditch bank all the time. The front ditch side tire would start falling in then slip and all the power/wheel speed would transfer to the outer tire, throwing the Jeep into the ditch...
Very frustrating to say the least.

That's not the way an open diff works. . .the slipping tire is the one that gets all the power, starts spinning, digs a hole, and pivots you into the ditch. If you would have just lifted your right foot, you would have stayed out of the ditch. Of course, there is no fun in throttle modulation. :mrgreen:

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:02 pm

Missed some text... never have been very good at getting coherent thought out on a phone "keyboard"

Ditch side didn't "slip" or loose traction. It would "slip" into the deep abyss, stopping it's motion. Pretty violent, lifting didn't help, but when does it ever REALLY help :cool:

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:03 pm

The front locker made that a thing of the past. Now, IF I get in too deep it just keeps pushing though.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”