The Trail Cow v3.0

Post pics and info of your current projects.
tobyw

The Trail Cow v3.0

Postby tobyw » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 am

With a little trepidation, we made the decision to let the trusty LJ go and embark on a new journey. Well, let me back up a second... this is actually our 3rd dive in the world of JK, so it's not exactly new, but it is markedly different than the LJ. :roll: Here they are saying hello/goodbye to one another:

It's a 2009 JKU-Rubicon. Yes it has the crappy 3.8L and not the zippy newer 3.6L... Yes it has the same crappy 4-speed automatic that the LJ had and not the robust 5-speed auto of the 2012+ versions.... And yes, it's missing the requisite RUBICON steekers in the above picture, so I was pushed even further down the mall crawler status ladder.... But, not to fear, new steekers are here!!

So, now the fun begins...

8-) 8-)
Last edited by tobyw on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: The Trail Cow v3.0

Postby Lud » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Here we go again...
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 am

Time to get started…

First up were a couple maintenance items. There was a nasty exhaust leak, and 3.8L JK’s are well known for having crummy exhaust manifolds that crack with some regularity. Sure enough, after pulling off the heat shield on the driver side, mine was cracked severely. So, a quick R&R was in order:

As per my usual program, a couple of the retaining bolts sheared off, one below flush in the cylinder head, so I had to perform the ol’ weld-a-nut-to-the-nubbin trick to get it out of there:

Presto change-O!!

Next up were spark plugs, as it was vibrating a little bit excessively at idle and even in 3.8L JK terms, was a bit sluggish. After pulling the first plug, it was evident the poor fella was loooooooong overdue for fresh plugs:

With that project out of the way, I turnt my attention to the tailgate. For some reason, the hinges on this rig were shot. And I mean completely shot… A couple years ago, at the All-4-Fun event in Colorado that we regularly attend, I met a nice fellow that designs aftermarket widgets and then sells those ideas to manufacturing companies. At that time he was coming to market with a set of replacement, heavy duty, tailgate hinges for JK’s. I gave him a call, and he turned me on to the company that had picked up his design, and I placed the order:

Last edited by tobyw on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:21 am

JK’s, particularly pig-heavy JKU’s, are notorious for having problems with the relatively weak front axle housings. To remedy that situation, I called up my friends at ARTEC and had them send me one of their complete JK front axle systems including a truss, trac bar bracket, knuckle gussets, and lower control arm skid plates. The properly weld to the cast center section, pre and post-weld heat treating is necessary, and I used one of my welding blankets to wrap it up and let it slowly cool overnight:

With that little project out of the way, it was time for some altitude adjustment:

In the crate is a MOPAR performance parts 4” suspension consisting of factory tuned coils and matching FOX reservoir shocks, a replacement front driveshaft, longer OEM-style brake lines, and replacement OEM-style rear control arms that are slightly extended to push the rear axle back and keep it centered in the wheel wells. It also incorporates a high-steer conversion, flipping the drag link over to the top of the knuckle to coincide with their raised trac bar mount, which I did not use on account of the ARTEC system on the front axle. The one glaring omission from the kit is the front control arms – rather than including replacements, they instead provide cam bolts that in theory allow you to adjust caster and get things lined back up. Well, I didn’t like that idea so I ordered up set of adjustable uppers and lowers and went about the task of stripping all of the old stuff out and installing all of the spiffy newness:

After consulting the punchlist, the boy told me that things were not moving quickly enough and he needed to step in to make stuff happen:

(Don’t mind the light bar item; that was his contribution to the list…)

Last edited by tobyw on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:32 am

Keen eyes may have also noticed some rolling stock on the trailer… JK’s are big, period. I’ve had two prior JK’s, the first on 37’s and the second on 35’s. While neither ever really left me needing more tire, I wanted more this time. Particularly for snow season. When a deal came up on these, I just couldn’t pass it up:

The steel wheels were dismounted, along with the aluminum wheels that came on the JK. I’m not exactly a huge fan of them, but they are a 17x9 with 4.5” of backspacing, and well, the price was right. So I applied some unicorn charcoal silver paint and voila:

Still a loooooooooooong list of stuff to do, but it’s coming along 8-) 8-)
Last edited by tobyw on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:55 am

tobyw wrote:I called up my friends at ARTEC and had them send me one of their complete JK front axle systems including a truss, trac bar bracket, knuckle gussets, and lower control arm skid plates.

I had the same truss system on BONECRUSHER. hope your using chains not straps to tie her down while trailering... it cut through my straps like a hot knife through butter before we even got to Prosser.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm a pharmer, and I use chains for securing pharm equipment... my Jeeps all get secured with straps, but only around round/smooth surfaces. Kinda 101 stuff for load securment, but a good reminder for those that might not know better I suppose.

On topic, I'm actually investigating the possibility of custom tire nets, because they would be way easier for securing it in the toy hauler :?

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:10 pm

I always thought tire straps would be cool. Bought some on a whim from harbor freight.... needless to say they didn't fit the 35's I had on BONECRUSHER haha

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:14 pm

I've been looking at Mac's Custom Tiedowns, they say they can make pretty much anything... I've mapped out the anchor points in the toyhauler and the wheelbase of the JKU, so hopefully next week they can get me some pricing info to see how realistic it might be???

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:17 am

I managed to get a few minutes for a quick test run on the new suspension and shoes, just to see how things looked with a little bit of compression/droop travel:

Everything seems to fit and clear decent, although it was evident the front shocks are the limiting factor in droop travel. I need to get it on the trail and spend some time feeling things out before I make any substantial changes, but I can see a couple of minor adjustments coming.
Last edited by tobyw on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:20 am

I’m doing this build a little out of order… Typically I would address safety and recovery right out of the box, and then go after suspension and whatnot. In my own defense, the First Aid kit was thrown under the rear seat the day it was brought home, so that box was in fact czeked. But, I’m still noodling on roll cage and winch mount ideas. In the meantime, I wanted to get some communications enabled so I started looking for a place in the sea of plastic that is the JK dash, to put a CB radio. I have 3 basic requirements for CB radio placement:

1.) I am not a LEO, so I will not have my CB top / center on the dash stack
2.) I am not a truck driver, so I will not have my CB hanging overhead with the cord in my face all day
3.) I am not a barbarian, so I will not have my CB slapped on the side of the center console at some weird angle for my passenger’s shin to enjoy all day long

So, I took a hard look at the center console and started some exploratory mining to determine what lies beneath. As luck would have it, and similar to the LJ, the center console is primarily empty in the section right below the dash. I carefully pulled everything apart, laid it all out, and performed some plastic surgery:

For some reason, the JK has a two-piece console, so I had to cut the upper and lower sections separately:

And here it is back together with the hole carved out and the sharp plastic edges tidied up with door edge molding (sorry for the crummy focus):

I have not fabricated the actual mounting brackets yet, as I still need to get the CB wired up, but that will be EZPZ once brown Santa delivers the rest of the gear.
Last edited by tobyw on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:13 am

Neither site is showing pictures.
And as you know, it didn't happen without pictures or something like that.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:59 pm

bobracing wrote:Neither site is showing pictures.
And as you know, it didn't happen without pictures or something like that.

I don't see any pics in the last post either.

Toby, are you uploading them to this site when posting?
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:02 pm

All pics have been showing for me EXCEPT today's. Dangit. :cry:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:05 am

Hmm... I'm using Google pics? I'll check the links and try again? Pics show for me when I'm not logged in to Google, so ???

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 am

no pics...

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:12 am

For transmission cooling duties, I once again turned to MOPAR performance parts for their OEM-esque solution. I really like their kit because it comes with brackets that place the cooler away from the radiator so there is better air flow all around, and it includes complete replacement lines that utilize the OEM connectors, so there is no cutting of hoses or leaking hose barbs to deal with. Overall installation was brick simple and it turned out very clean, as you expect an OEM part to:

Next I wanted to address the vulnerable sway bar disconnect housing and electrical connector, so I pulled the bolt that holds it to the rubber hanger, rotated the unit about 90-degrees, and rustled through my bolt bin to find an appropriate size and length metric bolt to hold it in its new orientation. It’s a silly little thing, but I’ll sleep better:

I’ve never run hydro assist before, and with the 38’s and an already heavy vehicle to start with, I figured this would be a good time to try it out. After some research, I ended up going with a Redneck Ram setup from West Texas Offroad. Great guys to deal with, extremely knowledgeable and they definitely take the time to listen to your specific application and custom build the package for you. Installation was relatively straightforward, especially since I had ample room thanks to the high steer setup from the MOPAR suspension system. Rottwheeler stopped by to lend a hand on the mockup, so I have someone else to blame if things don’t work out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by tobyw on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:52 am

Your killing me Toby, all the pictures are still just saying, "image", no pictures.
Again both this site and NWORT site too.
James

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:41 pm

bobracing wrote:Your killing me Toby, all the pictures are still just saying, "image", no pictures.

Better?

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:11 pm

bobracing wrote:Your killing me Toby, all the pictures are still just saying, "image", no pictures.

I don't get it??? I'll have to find another place to upload/host pictures I guess :oops:

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Huh?

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:02 am

When I sold the LJ, my ever-trusty Warn xd9000i winch went with it. This left me in need of a new winch, and of course any good trail rig needs on board air. As it turns out, our friends at Warn have an all-in-one solution with the PowerPlant series of winches. I happened to stumble on a smoking deal for a 9,500lb unit in good working order, so it was finally time to PHABRIKAIT!!!

I enlisted some help for the final install:

It’s stupid simple, is lightweight, and it keeps the winch low and tight to the body:

8) 8)

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:32 pm

:thu:
James

oddball
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby oddball » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:44 am

Tow bar please. Blue Ox with a 2 5/16”. Until the next squirrel comes by go easy on my next Jeep. :D

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:27 am

oddball wrote:Tow bar please. Blue Ox with a 2 5/16”. Until the next squirrel comes by go easy on my next Jeep. :D

:lol2 :lol2 :lol2 :lol2

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”