RV house wiring

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

RV house wiring

Postby Roman » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:12 pm

Found a small issue with the 110v wiring on the old Bounder today. Turns out they REALLY hide this junk!

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: RV house wiring

Postby SPR » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:42 pm

No fun I bet.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:51 pm

It'll be a miracle if I remember all the connections I've unhooked looking for this silly ground wire!

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:22 pm

Ok, I had been kicking myself for chasing a "minor" issue. Kept telling myself I was being too much of a perfectionist about something so trivial. Boy, am I glad I went down the rabbit hole...

So recently I've been working on some minot remodel stuff in the garage. Had a new HVAC system installed and while things (indoor side of exterior walls) were opened up I fixed a few nagging problems. Been having a issue with power shutting off to a string of recepticals on the back wall that include the receptical I charge the motorhome off of. Replaced all of them, and while I was at it I added a GFCI recep in the lead position. Thought might as well, sounds like a good idea.
Jump to yesterday, keep looking at the motorhome and thinking I should at least put it on the charger. Plug it in a pop goes the new GFCI. Well, after countless trips back and forth and turning off breakers in the coach and unplugging anything I could find I start pulling panel covers. 30a shore power cord prongs were FRYED going into the 30a to 15a adapter, the adapter itself was heavily corroded, the junction box where the cord ties into the coach had burnt/melted connections, the ground wire wasn't even made up. Just left long and fuzzy!!!
I spent a day and a half looking for what turned out to be an extra 18" wire someone added to the transfer switch that was bonding the white neutral wire to the green ground wire. If left there it probably would never cause a "problem" and if I had just found somewhere else to plug the MH into I would probably never have found those burnt connections till it was too late.

Since we've only used the RV in a park once, catastrophe might have passed us by, but now that its all over with I'm glad I got to the bottom of it!

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:23 pm

20220211_132740.jpg
20220211_132740.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 3175 times

Gregandlina
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Gregandlina » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:12 pm

Hmmmm
2012 JKUR
Dashboard Hula Girl
Stubby Antenna

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:20 pm

Wow
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”