Rokmen Unlimited Corner Armor

Post pics and info of your current projects.
iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Rokmen Unlimited Corner Armor

Postby iaccocca » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:55 pm

After watching the video of Scotty’s rig losing a tail light to a tree that jumped out and bit him on last years Peak Putter Rimrock run, I decided it was important that I get some corner armor on my ‘long’ Wrangler to make sure that my hardtop would always fit back on my tub after a run in the trees.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dmc5jvVXx14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dmc5jvVXx14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So I decided on Rokmen’s LJ Short Corner Armor made of 3/16" Cold Roll Steel.

http://www.rokmen.com/products/corner_armor/lwb_corners/lwb_corners.html

I was surprised when it arrived that it came with no hardware. Talking to Jeff at Rokmen, it turns out that FedEx Grnd lost it. I was also surprised that it came without packaging. Jeff explained that they found they had less damage with the pieces simply bolted together and not boxed than boxed. Seems the drivers could not find the handle on it when it was in the box.

They cleaned up from their travels easily enough with my palm sander and some TSP.

Rokmen recommends fitting the corners and drilling the holes in the tub while the corners are still bare, but I wanted them painted to match and the bodyshop was doing me a favor shooting them and I had to wait on their schedule, so I could not leave the Jeep with holes in it that long. I brought them over to Ken at Frank & Son’s and he got them in the next time they were shooting a car of similar color. The only problem with the paint job from F&S is that it is considerable better than what comes on my Jeep from Mopar. 8-) And of course they lack the classic high desert pin striping I’ve managed to put on the rest of the Jeep from a few trips around Vantage, but I am sure that will change.

The corners languished in my shop. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I finally decided to skip some honey dews and just get the job done.

It is good to have help that understands how to handle the heat…

Step one: Friday night I had to remove the lock box (the Jeep rose an inch), the fender flares, tailgate and spare, fuel filler trim, license plate bracket, and taillights. The wiring for the taillights was such a snarled mess (from the original owner) I had to cut the wires. Removing the flares was a bit more of a pain than you might imagine.

Saturday after farmers’ market I went to work, washing the soon to be covered area, fitting the corners and drilling holes in my virgin tub.

Then I removed the corners and primed and painted the drilled holes.

See how close I matched the color…

Then it was time to put the corners back on along with all removed hardware. Spacers go under the hinge on the tailgate to reposition the tailgate to its original location. Of course, I had to break out the soldering iron to repair the taillight wiring.

And here is the finished product…

A few tips for anyone that decides to go this route…
Put silicone on the back side of the countersunk stainless bolts and hold the in place while tightening the backing nuts, not the other way around.
When fitting the left side corner, use not only the license plate bracket bolts, but the screws for the fuel filler trim to align the corner; if I had done this in the first place I would have gotten better fitment (I’m sure I can adjust / fix this in the future.)
Oh, and these are a great product; heavy duty, well machined and thought out. For example, one countersunk bolt gets a washer that is cut in half under the plain washer and nut to compensate for where two body panels meet… Genius.
Last edited by iaccocca on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:04 pm

Those are nice but how are they going to protect you from losing a tailight? Which unless I'm really mistaken was the reason you went with them in the first place.. :?

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:10 pm

White trash wrote:Those are nice but how are they going to protect you from losing a tailight? Which unless I'm really mistaken was the reason you went with them in the first place.. :?

Nope. That tree got Scotty's light. I thought said tree or its Following the Yellow brick road counter part might dent my tub to the point where it would be hard to get my hardtop back on. Hopefully the corners can resist that damage. If my tailight gets damaged, well Jeep tailights are a dime a dozen, or I can go to flush mounted Lite Dots (or some such.)

Besides I got my fancy, Sahara edition tailight guards to protect my lights; now reinforced by corner armor. :lol:
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Ahhh.... I'd defiantly do some flush mounts. Lite dots are nice but I just couldn't justify the cash for them... :shock:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:22 pm

White trash wrote:Ahhh.... I'd defiantly do some flush mounts. Lite dots are nice but I just couldn't justify the cash for them... :shock:

I'll figure it out once I break one. :D
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Those are very nice corners, nice job putting them on.

Only problem I see is they may not help in you quest to keep the HT.
If the Jeep tips (tree wells come to mind) the top edge (where the HT fits) is usually the first place to hit. A set of "mini" nerf bars (not sure what to call them), they bolted/welded to the rollcage and stick out just past the upper edge of the body, might be something to think about.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks bobracing,

That is a thought, especially bolted on, so they could come off when it was time to put the hard top back on and take the Jeeper chicks to school on a cold winter day.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:03 pm

A guy I know in Prosser had a set made that went from B pillar to C pillar that bolted to the cage just above the flange for the top. They worked very well for him and he could still use a "duster" and all that with them in place.

colemancooler

Postby colemancooler » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:53 am

cool. very stealthy with the color match Paint and all :super
shindig wheelers #36

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 am

I already dented my rear passenger's side corner so it looks like I might go that route too. Nice job on the install.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Lud wrote:I already dented my rear passenger's side corner so it looks like I might go that route too. Nice job on the install.

My brother-in-law thought I should wait until I dented the tub to put them on, but I like my plan better. 8-0
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:01 pm

I like Rokmen's design and how they cover up over the flares as well. I'll probably go with those but paint them black or get them line-x'd.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:29 pm

Yeah, rattle can black or hammertone would be easier to touch up, but mine are pretty.
If you ever do get them, let me know, I'll give you a hand putting them on.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:21 am

Working on a winch first, then those corner guards.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:26 am

Lud wrote:Working on a winch first, then those corner guards.

Don't forget the tummy tuck.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:23 pm

That'll be next years tax return along with the SYE, and a Tera 2 Low kit. Earlier if they do another government stimulus check like I've been reading about. :lol:

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”