new skins x 2

Post pics and info of your current projects.
TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

new skins x 2

Postby TJDave » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:22 pm

well, as some of you noticed at the Pick up a Mountain of garbage run last weekend, I had a set of new 33" Toyo MT's on the little black TJ. They seemed to work much better than the bald schwab terrain they replaced. Now my lovely (not) ex-wife informs me that in her self induced financial crisis, she will not be able to split airfare for my daughter to visit us this winter :x I will have to drive to North Bend to pick her up. I do not want to eat up my new Toyos driving miles and miles on the hiway. Luckily, I just picked up a set of stock Rubicon 16" wheels with Firestone destination AT tires mounted on them 80% tread, $400.00. Could not pass up the deal since the wheels alone are $250.00 each in the Quadratec catalog. Yet another winch delay---maybe by tax check time or Obama check :shock: I hope not. Lee, if you read this, or anyone else that may know, will those wheels work with the lugs on my aftermarket rims, or do I need special ones for Rubi rims? Thanx, Dave.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

tenikiwon2

Postby tenikiwon2 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:33 pm

I'm confused (maybe it's the beer) on what you're asking.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Sorry, I start typing and can't stop! QUESTION: Do stock rubicon wheels (like the cool ones on Lee's Jeep) need special lug nuts or will the lug nuts that are holding my black wheels on my Jeep work for Rubicon wheels as well? I bought some Rubi wheels and skinny tires to run for winter. Thanks for any input....Enjoy your beer!
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:17 pm

Do not know Dave. I just got some aftermarket 15" wheels to put on my Jeep and I do not know if I am going to to have to get different lugnuts for them. I'll check tomorrow and see if the stock ones seem like they are going to work with the American Alloy ones. If your aftermarket lugnuts do not have washers I bet they will work. I'll let you know. Maybe someone more knowlegable will pipe up.

I'm enjoying my beer. Looking forward to enjoying 33s.

edit: Just rereading your post Dave. If your black wheels are steel I'm pretty sure you will need different lug nuts. The ones for the Rubi wheels have quite the shoulder on them.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:15 am

Okay, blame the beer or my meds (or taking meds with my beer), but here is what a Rubicon lug nut looks like.
Just an acorn nut. Your lug nuts from your steel wheels will probably work if they are acorn nuts and have enough thread. HTH

I always have spares in my Jeep... you can eyeball them at the PP meeting this Wednesday if it helps.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Congrats on the new tires but are you seriously talking about taking off those tires for the drive to north bend? If they were some bias swamper or something I'd tend to agree with you but they are a radial mud terrain, stop being such a sissy and man up and drive the dang thing.... What did you buy the tires for, so they can sit at home and dry rot or to drive on them? :lol:

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Well Mr. Trash, I appreciate your candor! My concern was/is that I do not want to have them half worn by next spring. I love the tires, but they were a tad spendy, and you know how slow my work has been lately! Each weekend with my kid involves 2 trips to North Bend. I racked up over 100k miles on my F-150 and 3 sets of tires in 4 years of doing that run. That's why we fly her (or have been) back & forth for the last couple yrs. Besides, I can run the Rubi wheels & tires this winter and still sell them for more than I paid. They might look goofy though. :oops:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Stock Rubi wheels will bolt right onto your Jeep, Dave. The lugnuts will work fine.

Also, you're right, in certain areas, those Rubi rims alone sell for a fortune.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:03 pm

TJDave wrote:Well Mr. Trash, I appreciate your candor! My concern was/is that I do not want to have them half worn by next spring. I love the tires, but they were a tad spendy, and you know how slow my work has been lately! Each weekend with my kid involves 2 trips to North Bend. I racked up over 100k miles on my F-150 and 3 sets of tires in 4 years of doing that run. That's why we fly her (or have been) back & forth for the last couple yrs. Besides, I can run the Rubi wheels & tires this winter and still sell them for more than I paid. They might look goofy though. :oops:

Now ya see Dave that changes a lot when you happen to mention the part about heading over there EVERY WEEKEND rather than insinuating that its a one shot deal... Details mean a lot.. :P :lol:

Oh, wait.... work has been slow?? Is that why Peanut hasn't worked this past week?? :lol:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:50 pm

Yeah, I got pretty new 15 inchers and I'll be keeping the Rubi wheels. 8-)
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks for the lug nut info guys. Trash, It will be every other weekend, but with two trips across each time, it might as well be! I think the Rubi wheels will work good, and with the smaller tires bringing my gearing back closer to stock, I might even get to use overdrive and pick up a few MPG's somewhere. I know the hills will be easier. :idea:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”