History

Read here for information about us.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

History

Postby Danny » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:56 pm

OG,

I'd vote for you writing up the history of the club so we have something here. :lol: What do ya'll think?

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:16 pm

My dad would be better suited for it. . .or Larry Lantzer or Frank Schamp or Fred Kauer.

Here's the nutshell:

Club formed in 1966. Larry Lantzer is founder and member #1. Larry isn't active in the club any more, but he is a defacto lifetime member.

I know that at least 4 generations have attended club events and that is just in my family.

We were kids, we raised kids, some of us became grandparents and great-grandparents. There have been over 110 member families over the years. No more than 25 at any one time.

We raced and we went Jeeping when it wasn't cool yet and nobody knew the word "wheelin'". There have been countless community service events and fundraisers that have been a testament to our common spirit.

Now, the most active members of the Peak Putters are second and third generation legacies and new members. Even though we continue to diversify, it is very, very common to see charter and associate members at social events and, every once in a while, they dust off their old rigs and come out and hand the "kids" their asses on the trail.

A complete history of this club would fill an entire set of encycolpias. I'll leave it to the people that have been around for 40 years in this group to write that story. On the other hand, if you live in the Tri Cities, love 4-wheelin' AND want to feel like a part of a group of lifelong friends from the very first day; go on a few runs, come to a couple of meetings, hang out in one of our garages for a while and you'll see why we've been going strong since 1966.

RONMOSS
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

History of Peak Putters

Postby RONMOSS » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:09 am

Who has the Peak Putter Albums? We should find them and share them at a gathering. Billy Lantzer kept them up for years. Just seeing them would be a great experience, especially for new members. This site is a good way to continue documenting of our history.

Road 68 or behind True Stone was an every weekend event, if we were not racing or in the mountains. Sometimes two runs per weekend.

Old Green was almost born on Patrick Grade on the July 4 run to the Blue Mountains. He's been in a jeep ever since as have Jessy and Will.

Ron (Big Dude)

OldGreen

Re: History of Peak Putters

Postby OldGreen » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:24 pm

RONMOSS wrote:Who has the Peak Putter Albums? We should find them and share them at a gathering. Billy Lantzer kept them up for years. Just seeing them would be a great experience, especially for new members. This site is a good way to contine documenting of our history.

Road 68 or behind True Stone was an every weekend event, if we were not racing or in the mountains. Sometimes two runs per weekend.

Old Green was almost born on Patrick Grade on the July 4 run to the Blue Mountains. He's been in a jeep ever since as have Jessy and Will.

Ron (Big Dude)

David Kauer has them currently. I am the keeper of the albums, but David is. .. uh. . .borrowing them. Maybe we should digitize the whole lot????

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:14 pm

Actually I brought the books back last summer when we came over for Marc's farewell, I gave them to Lori. It is a good idea to get them all digitized, I planned on it but was too lazy :lol:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:32 am

Shows you who wears the pants in my family. . .Lori just looked at me like I was stupid (I am) and said. . .DUH. . .there right over there!!!

LOL. . .

Who's got a scanner and some time on their hands? We could throw them on a CD then have David upload them to the site in all of HIS free time!!!

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:04 pm

I have a scanner... Kristen said she would run the scanner. If anybody has more pics they want digitized we could scan 'em. I have a bunch of older pics to scan as well.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:38 pm

Make sure you post some pics of your dads 'fro from back in the day!

I've seen the pics, it stuck out from under his helmet . . . :P

tenikiwon

A few questions from a wannabe member

Postby tenikiwon » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:21 pm

Is there a protocol for becoming a member?
Are there dues and responsibilities that go along with being a member?
When are the meetings?
Are there annual rides/events?

Once I get to the Tri-Cities area and while I'm looking for work, I'd be willing to scan photos and setup a photo area on your site. An example of my work would be the photo section of my website http://andy.nowickinetworks.com/images/view_pics.php?referer=Pictures/offroad
Gone wheel'n......I wish :(
Andrew J. Nowicki
The FORD III - 2002 F250 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel - Tow Vehicle
Zuks(2 '87s & 88.5) Suzuki Samurai
My Home on the Web

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:04 pm

Protocal. Nice word. So guvment like :wink: Yup, need 3 runs and 3 meetings to get to know everyone, and the crew to know you. Dues are 40 a year, most of which goes the Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Association. Meetings are 1st Wed. of the month, except Dec. As far as runs, we kinda call 'em as we feel the urge. And that's pretty regular :mrgreen: There is a cap on membership, but I'm not sure what it is, and that sure doesn't mean you'll get run off from any activities :!: Go thru the run section on here to get an idea of what it's like here. There's some pretty tough trails in the area. Expect carnage on any number of the runs :shock: I'm limited as I run a full size, mostly stock F150 :mosc I make up for it in personality, tho :mdr
Last edited by Grumpy on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Very good Dave...I'd say you out did yourself this time.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:51 am

And watch out for skinny old guys in white, 4 banger Heeps :nananère
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon May 11, 2009 9:12 am

Anybody know the club's Birthday? I know it is established in 1966 (great year for clubs and people), but anyone know the actual date? It would be fun to celebrate 44, 45, and especially 50 in a few more years.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:53 pm

The Wednesday after Feb 25th, 1966 :lol:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon May 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Excellent David, you the man!!!

Oh, and if my math is right I am exactly one day older than the club. :wink:
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:21 am

BTT
It's our Birthday. Club turns 45 this week. Image
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:43 am

Whatever happened to this effort to scan the albums? I believe Ms Mandi volunteered me to work on this a while back. I'm still willing to work on this, just need the albums to get it started...

8)
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:32 am

My mom (associate member) has them and is using them to find all of the former members so they can be invited to the 50th party. She knows or did know most of them so she is the right person for the job. You will want them in enough time to create a slideshow for the party! I will let her know about the plans to scan.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Thank you sir!
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:05 am

OldGreen wrote:My mom (associate member) has them and is using them to find all of the former members so they can be invited to the 50th party. She knows or did know most of them so she is the right person for the job. You will want them in enough time to create a slideshow for the party! I will let her know about the plans to scan.

I need to borrow these albums even if only for a short while to grab some scans, and info on the early days of the club. I can get them back quickly but really would like to start developing our history in a digital format.

Can I get them for a couple weeks even? The sooner the better.
Lance

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Are the albums part of the stuff that's getting repo'd?
Dave

Quote:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:17 am

Repo'd?

When do you want them? I could run by Mom's.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:57 pm

Okay, so I got the Photo Albums & Minutes, and after a general once over I see a couple of problems that may have kept others from taking on the task...

First and foremost, there appears to be a book (volume) missing, I have a total of 9 Albums (8 notebook style, and 1 unnumbered photo album style), however there doesn't seem to be a #2, although there is the odd album with no number, just trying to jog memories here to see if we are in fact missing an album or not (check your closets).

Second many of the pictures in the unnumbered book and a couple of others seem to be sharing meetings or our other favorite pass time eating, not too many Jeep pics as yet.

So my plan initially is to try and figure out a chronology (the numbers help), then I'll have to figure out a means to post pics to get some faces recognized, unfortunately I don't have access to DOD, CIA, or Interpol so I'll be needing some of our longtime members to help ID some of the folks and rigs.

In regard to the minutes... at this point they will most likely remain as is, although I may take bits and pieces of them to help tell our story. Scanning them looks to be a nightmare as most are handwritten, and few are typed. Unless somebody knows an intern who might get a kick out of transferring them to digital format the hard way (reading and inputting them into word documents).

Looking at the (daunting) task before me, I believe I'll try and get as many meaningful pics scanned to help piece together our history as best I can. So please be generous with your patience and trust I'll pic the better ones that speak to the personality of our club. All the while understanding my handicap - not having grown-up in the club...
Last edited by Livin4Today on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lance

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:05 pm

JK Lance wrote:
First and foremost, there appears to be a book (volume) missing, I have a total of 9 Albums (8 notebook style, and 1 unnumbered photo album style), however there doesn't seem to be a #2, although there is the odd album with no number, just trying to jog memories here to see if we are in fact missing an album or not (check your closets)...

I once quoted a great man... Uh, Sorry I was thinking of myself there...

Crisis avoided, no missing album, just folks who can't count or label correctly... Back to the task...

Album 1 - scanned took about 6 hours solo, as you have to first do an overview scan, then adjust you capture area, then scan each page as a picture.

My biggest concern now is how to best display these pictures as many are outside the normal upload size here on the forum...
Lance

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:18 pm

It seems like there was a few years missing. I gave you everything I got from Larry.

Return to “Peak Putter Club Information”