Rubicon Trail Expedition 2014, Run Report 2 of 2

Area for everyone to post pics and reports of new runs and events.

Moderator: SPR

tobyw

Rubicon Trail Expedition 2014, Run Report 2 of 2

Postby tobyw » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:50 am

With MUCH anticipation, and even some trepidation, we launched from OG’s driveway circa 1800hrs on Wednesday, June 25th. We included myself, OG and the man child in “Chuckâ€
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 am

Worst run report ever... cause my Jeep wasn't in it. :?

I kid, but I'm so jealous I could scream. As a matter of fact, I'm on my way to the shop now to scream.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:55 am

Toby, thanks for the report and letting me relive last years trip. Wish I had been able to go this year.
Forget your age and live your life!

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:38 am

I did not realize there would be seperate reports... So I'll continue where I started in the other one... LOL
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Rottwheeler

Postby Rottwheeler » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Sounds like an awesome adventure!!! I will not be denied next time! ;-)
Rottwheeler
White 13' JKU Rubicon, 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex suspension, 3:73s, 35" Nittos on American Racing ATX black faux bead locks... for now.

Don

Postby Don » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:54 pm

So, for my end of the story!

Apparently Murphy decided he needed a trip to the Rubicon about the time I was supposed to leave to pick up my dad in Eugene on Wednesday afternoon. Just before pulling the Jeep on the trailer I decided to make one last lap around the jeep to check torque on the lugs and 2 studs on my drivers rear wheel broke ... a trip to the parts store, replacing the studs, finishing packing and a 6 hr drive put me in Eugene at around 2am.

Up the next morning at 5:30am, we decided to pull the jeep to Cali with my Dad's trucks since it had just recently been worked over at the Ford dealer, most importantly the entire A/C system was just replaced. Our departure timing from Eugene was perfect to meet the rest of the group at Ice House at 5pm.

About 40 mins down the road the check engine light popped on. The truck has never once had a check engine light. So ... instead of worrying about that light for another 9hrs, we decided to double back on a backroad to swap to my truck.

Somewhere along said back road, we drove across a "bump", which felt more like two 4" curbs across the road ... which effectively launched the trailer from the hitch ball, which "someone" forgot to lock in the truck swap (that would be me). Out came the highlift for the first time to pick the trailer tongue up off the road and couple back up.

Returned to my folks house, swapped to my truck and happily hit the road in complete disbelief at the random issues we had fought ... we had no idea. Somewhere south of Roseburg, coming down a steep grade the trailer started a sickening fishtail ... which it never does. Pulled off the freeway to find that the wheel which happily resided on the drivers rear of the trailer for years had decided that today was the day to come loose. All the lugs were backed off, one was MIA and the lug holes were now about 1" dia. So, we aired up the spare, carefully chased the lugs back on over the damaged studs and headed back toward Roseburg. The first random little town we hit provided a wrecking yard with a good wheel and a Napa with a set of lug nuts. Next stop was Les Schwab who swapped the good tire on to the recently purchased wheel. They also did a lot of head scratching about our damaged studs, in the end sending us on our way as is.

So, after many more stops to check lug nuts and one scare with a flashing transmission overdrive light, we arrived at Ice House around 2am. We tipped over in the seats of the truck and slept until 5:30am.

We woke with the sunrise and a renewed excitement of being in the midst of the Rubicon! All our troubles were behind us and we were going to have an amazing day. The Jeep happily fired up in the brisk air and all was looking good. As I backed off of the trailer I heard a strange screeching, stretching, scraping sound that oddly brought me to a stop. Upon investigation, I found that the loaded down jeep sat just low enough, that as I crested the back of the trailer the rear yoke grabbed the rear brake flex line and wrapped it around the driveshaft about 5 times. We gingerly pulled the jeep forward, unwrapping the brake line in complete disbelief that it didn't break! Out came the zip ties to resecure all the brake lines to the rear axle, and move the flex out of harms way! When we finally met up with the group at their campsite, I swear they looked like they were seeing a ghost.

The other reports do a pretty good job of summarizing our successes and failures on the trail.

We kept hoping that Murphy would give up and go hang out with someone else, but he decided to hitch a ride home ....

We cruised through northern cali chattering about how amazing the trip was, laughing about the adversity that we had conquered and reminiscing all of the incredible moments the trip had. We stopped in Weed to grab some fuel and food for the last leg. I hit the key to fire up and head for the freeway and all I got was cranking, but no fire ... again, lots of cranking and no fire. Made a call to Tim who gave me a list of suggestions, which included yanking the chip out of the back of the PCM, checking numerous connections, shaking, pushing, rattling, cussing, more cranking ... finally we sprayed some WD-40 down the intake and got it to fire. Apparently the high pressure oil pump decided that this was the trip it would get tired on.

With all the highs and lows, it was an experience of a lifetime. Being able to share it all with my dad is something I will cherish forever. Memories of laughing, being frustrated, laughing at being frustrated, dad spotting me through rocks like a pro, and cruising down the highway through the mountains in a jeep that had just conquered the Rubicon are irreplaceable.

Thank you to everyone for an amazing adventure.

Brier Rose
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Brier Rose » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:10 pm

For everyone who went on the Rubicon trip, I found an awesome Rubicon Trail stickers for your rigs. It's only $5.50 per sticker. If you would like some just let me know. I will also be at the club meeting on Wednesday so you can let me know at that time also.

Now, here are some pictures from Tim and I. I will try to get them in order.

Now I only picked a handful of photos to put on the forum. If I put them all up there would be over 200 lol, and I know nobody wants to see all that. I had a blast on this trip and the weather couldn't have been better. I can't wait to go next time.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:55 am

The one thing I have learned is that I am a sexy bish.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:15 am

Great pics, thanks for sharing them! What do these Rubicon stickers look like?
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

short-block

Postby short-block » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:27 pm

tobyw wrote:Great pics, thanks for sharing them! What do these Rubicon stickers look like?

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:58 pm

You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Return to “Recent Run Reports - All Other Runs”