Ahtanum Snow Check 3-22-15

Area for everyone to post pics and reports of new runs and events.

Moderator: SPR

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Ahtanum Snow Check 3-22-15

Postby commando14 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Andrew and I headed up to Ahtanum yesterday to check on the snow level. We ran up Cowiche Mill Rd, all the way to Louie Way Gap... no snow. Then from there we headed up the 613 trail towards Strobach Mountain, we found a little snow in the trees but quickly ran into solid ice on a hill climb, and had to turn around after some winching. We went back down C1000 a little ways, and then took the jeep trail straight to Strobach Mountain, still no snow. We took 613 again towards Jackass, but once again we didn't make it very far before running into solid ice covered by about an inch of snow on a hill climb. We came back down Nasty Creek. It was starting to snow towards the end of the day, and it looked like some nasty weather was moving in.. hopefully some more snow falls before Camp Schamp.

We did have some carnage too... on the way back down 613 Andrew smacked a branch hiding in some brush and it busted out a rear vent window.

This is at Strobach Mountain looking towards Divide Ridge:

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:08 am

The lack of snow this year really sucks!

If those windows are the factory tinted ones, I hear they are pretty spendy! I have rear doors that are going to the scrap pile he can rob glass from, but they are not tinted.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:01 am

Thanks for the offer Paul. He actually bought a tinted one on ebay yesterday, it was $45 and included the metal support piece. I had a few rear doors as well but they were the '96 and older style, the '97 and up are a little harder to find and more money.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:33 am

so if conditions do not improve is the april trip still on?
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:30 am

Camp Schamp will still be on. There is some snow up higher on the mid and north fork, we just avoided the area due to snowmobile season. However I've heard there has been very little grooming this year. Also the green lake weather station shows around 10" of snow has fallen since Sunday, hopefully some storms will move through over the next few weeks.

Return to “Recent Run Reports - All Other Runs”