Flatty Test Run v2.0

Area for everyone to post pics and reports of new runs and events.

Moderator: SPR

tobyw

Flatty Test Run v2.0

Postby tobyw » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 am

With the wife and minions safely on a plane to SoCal, I quickly turnt my attention to getting the flatty loaded up and ready to hit the hills for test run #2:

Joining me on this little expose would be Boy Scout in the ever faithful Big Blue, OG in his glorious red LJ, Rottwheeler in his very nice JKU-R, and Dryside in his extremely well equipped YJ, along with his minions in a freshly rebuilt XJ. We launched sometime midday on Friday and headed for a top secret camp spot in a nice open meadow above Milk Pond. Along the way, we stopped at the Gold Creek Saloon and Restaurant for an absolutely fantastic meal, replete with ice cold beer and fruit pie:

With full bellies, we eased up FS-1708 toward our destination. We quickly setup camp and began an epic BS session that would end up lasting well into the night, with many adult beverages and associated lies being told:

Somewhere shortly before dark, we were joined by a couple of extraordinarily friendly critters:

Saturday morning, we awoke and went about the business of making breakfast and preparing our steeds for the day’s events. Just as we pulled out of camp, Dryside had an unfortunate separation of plastic and wiring on the Throttle Position Sensor on his YJ. Luckily for all of us, his minions are incredibly resourceful and a hose clamp was sacrificed to make a spanning tab to bring the widget back into unity, and we are back on the trail in no time:

Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of trail pictures from the day because I was working my butt off in the flatty, and quite frankly getting my butt kicked. I’m too old for this $^&# :lol: After a full day wheeling the flatty, I sure missed my coil springs :oops: We ran a nice loop from the Milk Lake area up to the top of the ridge (FS-1708, 4W-686, 4W-685), and then back down the Manstash side to Tripod Flat and eventually back out to FS-31 (4W-307). We cruised the gravel forest service road down to the intersection with Barber Springs, and followed that back up to 4W-695 and slipped into the backside of the Funny Rocks. We spent some time there watching the show being put on by an enormous crowd, mostly fueled by Coors Light, and eventually meandered over to the Moon Rocks where a similar parade of talent and decision making was underway:

The shadows were growing long and we headed back down the 5-fingers and eventually back to camp, where we packed up and headed for home. With a quick stop at Whistlin Jack’s for the requisite ice cream, we loaded up and headed back down in elevation:

Overall it was another fantastic trip, and I’m happy to report the flatty performed quite well. Still a few bugs to work out, but overall I absolutely hate it. Which is exactly what I remember of it, all I can ask for 8-)
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Return to “Recent Run Reports - All Other Runs”