Trail Cow v3.0 Shakedown Run

Area for everyone to post pics and reports of new runs and events.

Moderator: SPR

tobyw

Trail Cow v3.0 Shakedown Run

Postby tobyw » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:54 am

With the weather finally taking a turn toward fall, we decided it was time to head for the high country and soak in some of that fall weather. Boyscout headed up the night before and met up with his friends Rick and Shannon, who hail from the other side of the dirt pile. They secured a very nice spot in Long Meadow, and spent the better part of Saturday running some of the Naches area trails. In stark contrast, I spent the better part of Saturday watching the boy play in his final baseball game of the season, but we were finally able to head Westward sometime around 2:30pm… The JK was tucked securely in the Mobile Marriott, and away we went:

When we arrived in Long Meadow, the evening’s festivities had already begun, so we quickly setup camp and joined in on the fun. Shannon whipped up a delicious batch of tacos and the minions scarfed it down while catching up on some ESPN:

Before we knew it, darkness had fallen and it began to rain. HARD. We moved the propane fire and gathered under the awning of the Mobile Marriott, doing our best to stay warm and fight off the inevitable urge to turn in for the night and retire to our cozy beds. The fight didn’t last long, and we all cashed in with the rain coming down like cats and dogs.

Early the next morning, Rottwheeler showed up with his lovely bride in their JKU, and we all headed for higher elevation. Not far into that trek, we found fresh snow from the precipitation that had let up only hours before… It was pretty cool to break trail in the snow in early October!! I didn’t get many pictures from the day, but we ran Milk Creek Road up to Lower Woodpecker, and ran that up to the 5-Fingers where we topped out and eased our way into the back side of the Moon Rocks. There we ran into a pair of JK’s, one of which was piloted by a guy named Gary, who is half of the Gary and Gary that produce a weekly podcast geared toward Northwest wheeling at http://www.nwjeepcast.com. Gary volunteered to lead us out the East side of the Moon Rocks down toward FS-1701, a short section of trail that I had never ran before. We stopped at a very nice viewpoint, and eventually tied into FS-1701 and made our way back down to Highway 410 and on to Whistlin Jack for the requisite ice cream cone:

Overall it was a great weekend, and although I’ve got a few bugs to work out on the Trail Cow v3.0, it sure was nice to wheel somewhere besides the mall 8-)
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

OldGreen

Re: Trail Cow v3.0 Shakedown Run

Postby OldGreen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm fond of the use of the winch rope as a dog leash on the red LJ. That guy is super smart.

Return to “Recent Run Reports - All Other Runs”