Naches 11-18-2018

Area for everyone to post pics and reports of new runs and events.

Moderator: SPR

tobyw

Naches 11-18-2018

Postby tobyw » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:22 am

We met up at the Maverik on Keene Road for a chilly 0700 departure. In addition to me, running solo, here was the cast of characters for this little foray:

• OG (red JLU-R)
• Boyscout (blue TJ)
• Danny (green JK-R)
• Paul (white YJ)
• Madi / Noah (green XJ)
• Ballzak / Jerry (blue Toyota
• Dan / Jen (green JKU)

The general plan was to run some form of a loop that included 4W676 and ice cream at Whistlin Jack Lodge. We left Maverik and headed West, just ahead of the fog bank, and enjoyed blue bird skies all day long:

Mission control verified it was a little on the brisk side:

The group split up in Naches, with everyone else stopping for fuel and last minute sundries while I kept the Dodge loping along toward Milk Lake road, where I eventually unloaded:

We all met up again at the intersection of NF-19 and NF-1901, where everyone aired down and made last minute preparations for what was in store. As we all know, both Elephant Dung and Aardvark can be quite challenging this time of year:

The group, although large and including two relative newbies with stock rigs, made good progress up to the base of Elephant Dung. With only a little coaching, both Noah and Zak were able to clean the hill in relatively elegant fashion, which was fun to watch. The group gathered at the top for a quick BS session before continuing on up toward Aardvark:

Ahhhhh, Aardvark. Boy how it has changed… I was able to work my way to the top, and then it was Paul’s turn:

Here is an indication of how greasy it was:

After Paul struggled for a few minutes, he made a wise decision to back down and take the bypass. Up next was Danny, who as usual just did his thing and cleaned the hill, thanks to judicious use of the skinny pedal:

Following Danny was Dan and Jenn in their JKU, and although they gave it a noble effort, they eventually had to back down and take the bypass:

Up next was Noah, but he handed the reigns of the mighty XJ over to The Madi, and she applied heavy throttle and got the little wagon up the bypass with no drama.

Zak was up next and was also able to summit the bypass with a few extra RPM’s coaxed out of the little Toyota:

And then along came Jimmy. In a manner that only he can provide, the hill was assaulted with all of the RPM’s that the JLU-R could muster:

After a couple of attempts, he backed up for one more run at it:

SUCCESS!!!

Apparently wanting none of that program, Big Blue the TJ took the wheel from Boyscout and headed up the bypass, while Boyscout composed a mid-century classical score and dined on a selection of several odoriferous cheeses:

With everyone up Aardvark, we plodded along 4W676 up to Lily Pond, where we stopped for lunch. The mud we encountered was something of legend, as it stuck like glue and weighed several tons per square centimeter:

Over lunch, we weighed our options for the remainder of the afternoon. Continuing up 4W676 was quickly discounted, as it was already past noon and the route in that direction was several hours long considering the size of our group. The plan instead was to head down 4W590 and hook a left on Milk Lake Road, and run up to Milk Lake for a quick look. We were all pretty shocked at the drastic changes to 4W590, and equally saddened to see the trail icon overhead log had been cut down and is now laying alongside the trail. What a shame. We gathered again in the big clearing just before the intersection with Milk Lake and discussed what we had just witnessed:

The trek up Milk Lake Road to Milk Lake was uneventful, even though we took the bypass that cuts up through the trees. As we had found with Elephant Dung and Aardvark, the ground was relatively dry and mostly frozen, so the typical slimy goo wasn’t impeding our progress. We rolled up to Milk Lake to find it frozen:

After another healthy BS session, we cruised down Milk Lake Road, where I had left the trusty Dodge earlier in the day. I loaded up and strapped down while everyone else aired up:

While I didn’t snap any pictures from the ice cream shoppe at Whistlin Jack’s, suffice it to say it was delicious and even though it was barely above freezing outside, the ice cream hit the spot. Thanks again to all who made the trip.

8)
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

OldGreen

Re: Naches 11-18-2018

Postby OldGreen » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:30 am

That was FUN! Let's do it again!

Return to “Recent Run Reports - All Other Runs”