A newbie to this club, but not Tri-Cities 'wheeling

If you're new to our board please make your first post here and introduce yourself.
Adondo

A newbie to this club, but not Tri-Cities 'wheeling

Postby Adondo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:53 pm

I’ve been wheeling since before the good ol’ Sunland Offroad days. Back when you could play in the mud in the Yakima Delta, and zoom the dunes between road 68 and 100. (Long before Walmart or anything else was ever thought of, let alone built!) Heck, the freeway wasn't even there then!!

The last decade or so, I’ve mostly been 4-wheeling in places such as Moab Utah by pulling a Dodge Durango behind a 40 foot diesel motorcoach. Off-roading around here is three-quarters dead due to carpet-bombing every open hillside with tract housing cracker-boxes. (But I’m not bitter, oh no)

Two months ago, I bought another Jeep, this time a Commander. It’s my third Jeep over the years, the others a ’53 high hood set up for mud racing, and a ’75 CJ. Old timers around the Tri-Cities may well remember my red Toyota Landcruiser FJ with the turbocharged straight six. Everyone called it the ‘’Toileta Landcruiser’’ because I used a chrome J-pipe from a urinal for a compressor crossover tube. (Hey! It worked, and looked good!)

So… with the Commander, I’ve been rediscovering local 4x4’ing again! I’ve played around in Hover, The Slab, the Moses Lake sand dunes, and Juniper.

I started out test driving the 4-door Wrangler, and came ‘’this close’’ to buying one, but I was ruined by a test drive of a Commander. And, I wasn’t that excited about the single engine choice of the 4-door Wrangler or its part time 4x4 system. I’ve had a couple of full time 4x4’s and there’s no going back.

I’ve already added a lift kit, roof rack, HID lights, etc. etc. The only major project left is to get the XK set up for towing behind the coach.

Hopefully, I can get back in the local 4x4 club thing, and head on trips etc. I’m a member of the Commander forums, http://www.jeepcommander.com and I’ll probably be heading to Silverton Colorado in July for a Commander owner’s trail meet.

ROMMICON

Postby ROMMICON » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Sweet suburban.. oops my bad... Jeepurban... Those things are way nice, I tried talkin the wife into one, but she thought they were too big. Welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new to this site as well... :)
wow...

Cody

Postby Cody » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:55 pm

hey nice jeep. I also have a all time four wheel drive vehicle that im building. its a 1998 jeep ZJ with the 5.9 liter V-8. so far it has done very well for me durng the winter with the four wheel drive. The comanders are sweet rigs i really like them!

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:47 pm

Nice rig.

Welcome. :D

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:23 am

Welcome to the funny farm! :hi
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch