Old and Busted the way to go, first post

If you're new to our board please make your first post here and introduce yourself.
Zach ogle

Old and Busted the way to go, first post

Postby Zach ogle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Hello, my name is Zach. This is my first post, my friend told me about you guys. I liked what you guys do and im interested in joining. I drive an 86' Toyota pickup with a 4' inch lift and 33' inch M/T's. I'v been working on it and trying to make it into a wheeling project. So far so good. It does well in trails, and mud. Me and a couple friends like to go wheeling. But i wanted to take it more seriously and want to learn from the more experianced guys out there. I enjoy wheeling whenever i can, and was hoping you guys can so me a few things. Thanks for reading

Zach

Beer is good

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 pm

Hmmmm Fresh Toyota meat... So just how silly do you plan on getting with it? :D

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:25 pm

as silly as nessasary. So pretty much anything. i wanna do alot of stuff to it, i just dont know where to start though
Beer is good

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Zach ogle wrote:as silly as nessasary. So pretty much anything. i wanna do alot of stuff to it, i just dont know where to start though

Oh, don't say that to Trashy! His 'yota looks like... well not a Toyota. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.) :lol:

Welcome and thanks for posting up with pics.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Well Zach then Trashy is the man to talk to about yota stuff.....

How do I know?? I'm his wife!!!

Welcome!!

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:37 pm

Well what is "necessary" and what I do are different sometimes... :lol:

The single biggest piece of advice I can offer is to learn what you have. I have friends that go from basically stock to dual ultimate cases, 40's and tubing and they have no idea how to drive it and end up looking stupid (Shut up OG :lol: ) As boring as it sounds it is much better in the end to build the rig in steps. I take it you are still running IFS? Toss a locker in the back and a set of dual cases with stock gearing and you'll be amazed at where you can go. Buuuuut first thing I'd do is put a cage in it. Seems silly but it is kinda hard to build a truck if you're dead. :wink:

Reco Very

Postby Reco Very » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:37 pm

Ohh you did it now. Trash has forgot more about yota's then you will ever learn. :twisted:

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:41 pm

White trash wrote:Well what is "necessary" and what I do are different sometimes... :lol:

The single biggest piece of advice I can offer is to learn what you have. I have friends that go from basically stock to dual ultimate cases, 40's and tubing and they have no idea how to drive it and end up looking stupid (Shut up OG :lol: ) As boring as it sounds it is much better in the end to build the rig in steps. I take it you are still running IFS? Toss a locker in the back and a set of dual cases with stock gearing and you'll be amazed at where you can go. Buuuuut first thing I'd do is put a cage in it. Seems silly but it is kinda hard to build a truck if you're dead. :wink:

Yes i am running ifs, hahah. Thanks for the info. I try to learn things as fast as i can, and i like learning too
Beer is good

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Reco Very wrote:Ohh you did it now. Trash has forgot more about yota's then you will ever learn. :twisted:

Meh, I don't forget yota stuff... What I had for lunch yesterday I have no idea but yota stuff is locked in place. :lol:

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 pm

White trash wrote:
Reco Very wrote:Ohh you did it now. Trash has forgot more about yota's then you will ever learn. :twisted:

Meh, I don't forget yota stuff... What I had for lunch yesterday I have no idea but yota stuff is locked in place. :lol:

Yup down to what every nut, bolt and washer look like and where they go on whatever year of whatever truck...... lol.

Oh and we didn't eat lunch yesterday babe. But we had Dairy Queen Burgers for dinner. :lol:

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Peanut wrote:

Oh and we didn't eat lunch yesterday babe. But we had Dairy Queen Burgers for dinner. :lol:

My point is easily proven. :lol:

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:36 pm

Welcome. :D

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:32 am

Thank you :D
Beer is good

sams88

Postby sams88 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Zach, nice to see another Toyota around. :-)

I'm an old fart presently running an 81 long box p/u that has been bobbed. 12.50x35 MT's and 3" lift springs. Still a ways to go with it. This is my 7th yota p/u. Been from mild to wild. This one is going to remain in the daily driver category, but will add a crawl box and dual transfer cases to it. I also run jeeps. One of those guys that like them both. :-) I run with a bunch of hard core yota lovers. Would enjoy talking yota's with you any time, as would about any Toyota fan. :-)
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm
88 yota p/u

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:49 am

Awhhhh a first gen. iv been looking around for one of those. But im trying to find a stock one...... Which is really hard, haha because i would like to build one from scratch. Im more of a build not bought sort of guy. But yes im just trying to do a few things to my Toyota. But like i said before its hard on where to start... Where do you wheel at most often
Beer is good

sams88

Postby sams88 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Around here a few of us head out and run the rocky canyon bottoms out by Hover. It's fun, and is close by.

yup, the 1st gens are getting harder and harder to find that haven't been hosed up. And then if you find one it either requires a bit of work or you pay through the nose. I lucked out and found this one that had been sitting in a field for a few years. Then engine was torn apart with pieces everywhere. It had been suberged, pulled out, and then just sat. I ended up putting a new 22R in it, along with another transmission as the old one had rotted innards and growled/howeld. Also had to put in a new radiator. Found another parts rig, and took the semi-bench seat, and some dash parts. It's on the road now, and I've been putting miles on it so get a bit of faith in it <grin> and to work bugs out of it. Gonna put 5.29 gears in the rear this weekend and pull the front drive shaft so I don't inadvertently screw up. Once I know I'm happy with that gearing and tire size then I'll buy the gears for the front. I'm fortunate in that I have a son-in-law that is a total Toyota freak and an excellent wrench to boot, along with a few good friends. We have a decently equipped shop to do our stuff.

2nd gens are cool rigs too, and there's some good stuff there, like fuel injection. :-) Not so cool, IFS. However that all depends too on what your goal is for your truck. You can't do much of a lift on IFS trucks before you really start getting into reliability issues. Most will just go for a straight axle swp/conversion. The downside to that is it costs a few bucks. If you are just into a mild lift and ocasional wheeling then an IFS may be fine for you. If you are looking at serious off-roading, then you really need to be looking at either finding a yota with a straight front axle, or figure on spending a few bucks. Make up your mind before you start playing the lift and big tire game so you aren't wasting bucks on something that isn't where you are heading.

While starting off from stock is cool, it isn't the cheapest way to go on some things. All this cool stuff costs bucks. There are some deals to be made out there on used trucks that other's have worked on. By the same token, you can also get burned on other folks project trucks too. The beauty of the yotas though is that you can get parts. About anything on them can be fixed. With a welding rig, plasma cutter, chop saw, press, and a few other things you can build about anything. Lots of the yota's have bodies that look a bit on the rough side, but there has been some super attention paid to the running gear, skid plates, reinforcing and strengthening the frame and such. They are easy trucks to work on and that is the beauty of them. :-) And most guys (and gals too) that run the yota's are more than happy to sit down and talk with you and tell you where they made their mistakes and what they would do over if they were doing it again. Talk to them before you start in. It will give you a much better appreciation of what works, what doesn't, what is realistic, and stuff like that. :-)
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm

88 yota p/u

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:27 pm

dang thanks for that wealth of information and let me know how those 5:29's work thats what i wanna do... and do you know anyone that can do a sas
Beer is good

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:31 pm

An SAS? Huh, I'll be doing another one here before too long... Super easy to do and well worth it. But as I said, as boring as it sounds put a cage in your junk FIRST then worry about the "fun" stuff. :wink:

This pic is from Naches sept of '08...

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34 pm

haha yes yes i remember you saying put the damn cage in it haha , just playing.... but yeah A SAS is something that i would like to do, but my skills in welding are lacking...... The only thing i ever welded was the sweet rust in my bed i cut out the ruster part and welded new stuff in.. HAHA so i dont trust myself with a welder.
Beer is good

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Get either a cage kit from one of the bigger vendors or whatever you can find that will keep you alive and we'll go from there. I am REAL cheap on the labor end of things.. :lol:

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:39 pm

like labor as a couple 24 packs, haaha. cuz that'd be sweet ahah just messing
Beer is good

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:40 pm

where would i be able to find a cage anyways, like websites or anywhere local
Beer is good

Reco Very

Postby Reco Very » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Zach ogle wrote:like labor as a couple 24 packs, haaha. cuz that'd be sweet ahah just messing

More like Tarantula and rockstar..... :lol:
White Trash wrote: I'll take a jeep over a Jeep any day of the year... Hands down the winner will be a jeep.

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:46 pm

marlincrawler.com
allprooffroad.com
offroadsolutions.com
CAchassisworks.com

Anything but trailgarbage.... Their chinese crap is just that.. CRAP!

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:48 pm

haha that also works. me and hard a dont get along very well
Beer is good

Return to “Introduction Area for the Newbies”