Newbie with Samurai

If you're new to our board please make your first post here and introduce yourself.
jay irwin

Newbie with Samurai

Postby jay irwin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi,

I know a few folks on here, went on a couple runs a few years ago in my Rubicon... which is now long gone.

just got it. It came with retreads...bad, dangerous retreads. So I'm on the hunt for some 31's and rims.

Also I have an 8 yr old daughter, so a cage has to go in asap!

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Looks pretty good! Talk to Jimmy about his...
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Reco Very

Postby Reco Very » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Howdy Jay. Big change from the single cab. :shock:
What price range you looking at for tires. I will keep my eyes open.
White Trash wrote: I'll take a jeep over a Jeep any day of the year... Hands down the winner will be a jeep.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Good looking Sammy. I love the little winch you can get away with, with a light weight vehicle. (As you well know if you had a Rubi, my Rubicon is no light weight vehicle.) 8-)
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:19 pm

I've got some 31's on white wagon wheels that will be available here very soon... What are you going to do with the tires/rims currently on the Sami? I might be interested in the rims 8)
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:26 pm

I was wondering who Jay Irwin was... Duhhh never knew your last name. :lol:

It's a pretty clean sami, needs some tlc and the front cattle guard taken to the scrap yard but overall it's a VERY good start to a cool rig. Oh and when you get tired of that mondo winch we'll talk, I need a rear suck down winch.
:wink:

Toby you don't even wanna know about those tires... Every other outer lug is grooved off badly and they have more weather cracks than pilosi's head.. :shock: But the wheels are in fact in good shape. They are factory F series made by ultra if I remember right. :D

jay irwin

Postby jay irwin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Open on tire price. what 31's on the white wagon wheels?

It sucks on forums when everyone has a "handle" If I know you please post your name.

The tires that are currently on there I wouldn't give to an enemy, the rims not sure, I'm a shaker can black man myself, so plain steel is what i'm looking for. Would kill for some Willamette steel wheels.

I put a PM in to Jimmy on TC, no reply.

I'm going to have to find someone with a bender asap to blackmail/bribe into helping me with a cage...don't want to have my daughter in it at speed until it's caged up...she already wants me to yard off the soft top and doors so we can roll open top with coats and goggles!
88 Samurai

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Steve says it's about time you got somethin'...Can't think of anything we may have laying around to help the cause :oops:
Dave

Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon80

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:53 pm

jay irwin wrote:...don't want to have my daughter in it at speed until it's caged up...she already wants me to yard off the soft top and doors so we can roll open top with coats and goggles!

There is a true Jeeper Chick, huh Sammi Chick, for yah. That's great.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Reco Very

Postby Reco Very » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:04 pm

jay irwin wrote:
It sucks on forums when everyone has a "handle" If I know you please post your name.

HaHa..I thought about that after I posted. I am a member of mcvw and was at Trashy's when you stopped by the other day.

jay irwin wrote:I'm going to have to find someone with a bender asap to blackmail/bribe into helping me with a cage...don't want to have my daughter in it at speed until it's caged up...she already wants me to yard off the soft top and doors so we can roll open top with coats and goggles!

I know Trash has some bending connections. :lol:

Dan
White Trash wrote: I'll take a jeep over a Jeep any day of the year... Hands down the winner will be a jeep.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Jay you need to talk to James... He has several sets of 5 on 5.5" wheels he's been trying to get rid of. I completely forgot about them the other day. I think I have a set of black painted 15x8" wagons at the 'rents place too.. I'll have to look.

jay irwin

Postby jay irwin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:51 pm

I'll talk to James. Thanks.
88 Samurai

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:03 pm

jay irwin wrote:I'll talk to James. Thanks.

James has:
15x8ish (4) Aluminum turbines (rotted 35s)
15x9ish (4) offset chrome wagon (235-75-15 all terrians)
15x8 (5) white wagon wheels without tires

would also gladly trade for 15x8 chevy 6 lug rims.

He also might be able to help with your other problem if he is ever home, this house hunting stuff sucks.

mtnbound

Postby mtnbound » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:06 pm

jay irwin wrote:I'm going to have to find someone with a bender asap to blackmail/bribe into helping me with a cage...don't want to have my daughter in it at speed until it's caged up...she already wants me to yard off the soft top and doors so we can roll open top with coats and goggles!

I dont have a bender but I do have a Davesport cage in mine that you can take some measurements off of :D
John
'87 Sami

www.wazuks.com

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:08 pm

Oh yea I forgot about that house hunting stuff... No wonder you didn't stop in and say hi this weekend. We were BUSY on the yota. :D

those turbines would look SICK on the sami. :shock:

jay irwin

Postby jay irwin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:40 pm

mtnbound wrote:

I dont have a bender but I do have a Davesport cage in mine that you can take some measurements off of :D

cool. you have a pic of your sammy? How many folks in Tri-Cities have them?

Thanks James, maybe I can catch you at home and check out the rims. How far away are you moving?
88 Samurai

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:22 pm

jay irwin wrote:Thanks James, maybe I can catch you at home and check out the rims. How far away are you moving?

The other half keeps wanting to look at the house 2 doors down from you but I'm not so sure about the neighbors.

jay irwin

Postby jay irwin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:25 pm

bobracing wrote:
jay irwin wrote:Thanks James, maybe I can catch you at home and check out the rims. How far away are you moving?

The other half keeps wanting to look at the house 2 doors down from you but I'm not so sure about the neighbors.

Thanks butthole.
88 Samurai

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:30 pm

bobracing wrote:

Well I understand your reservations.. :lol:

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:18 pm

Hey Jay, welcome and did you pick that up from a guy named alan? If so, you shoulda stopped in for a beer. We live just down the street. Kevin
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

jay irwin

Postby jay irwin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Yep Kevin, his name was Allen, I feel like I got a good deal, I had looked at a bunch on CL. Craig at Pasco Auto Wrecking helped me find it.

I still gotta go back for more parts so I'll hit ya up then, PM me your phone number. And I have to come up with a trailer for the parts sammy that went with it...if that actually pans out. I need to move it from one house in Finley to another.
88 Samurai

mtnbound

Postby mtnbound » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:32 am

jay irwin wrote:cool. you have a pic of your sammy? How many folks in Tri-Cities have them?

yes I have several, I will post up some links. as for sammis in the tri-cities that I know. My son and Brother have tintops, one of my best friends has one, a high school kid @ southridge, 3 other guys I meet at a sami meet and greet I put together (need to do another one) they wheel rimrock, and a friend in Pasco that is building a bad a** linked up rockcrawling dune jumping sami.
John

'87 Sami

www.wazuks.com

mtnbound

Postby mtnbound » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:59 am

Here is a link to my intro

http://www.peakputters.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

and here is a snow run

http://www.peakputters.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

and if you check out the Wazuks

http://www.wazuks.com/portal/index.php? ... ser_id=160

Most of us zuk guys hang out at

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/index.php

there is more info then you can imagine
John

'87 Sami

www.wazuks.com

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:49 pm

Welcome. :D
Nice Sami. A lot cleaner than mine.

jay irwin

Postby jay irwin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

Just checked out all mtnbounds pics... good stuff, and thanks for the info links. Let me know if you wrangle another get together. A few of us VW geeks get together every Friday for coffee for about an hour after dinner, works out pretty cool.

jay
88 Samurai

Return to “Introduction Area for the Newbies”