Howdy

If you're new to our board please make your first post here and introduce yourself.
Threescouts

Howdy

Postby Threescouts » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:27 pm

I've been on Binder Planet for about a year and have really enjoyed it. The other day, "Grumpy" found me there and suggested I visit and possibly join the Peak Putters group. Seems there may be a few of us IH'rs in the Tri Cities! 8)

I first learned to drive a Scout 800 when I turned 16 so not too long ago I aquired a 1970 Scout 800 short cab for my son out of Bickleton. Shortly after I received a call from a guy in Redmond who saw a want ad I had placed in the nickel and so, last summer during a trip to Seattle for my daughter's volleyball tourney I took a trailer and brought back the 67 Scout 800 Sport Top which turned out to be a parts rig due to the amount of rust. For some reason I was still looking at Scouts on Craigs list last winter and ran into one in Benton City... of course I had to buy it too. For some reason my wife went along with it and didn't dig in her heels!?! This one I decided would be for me; a runner which I lifted with shackles (poor but works). The short cab was to now be a project for my son and I to rebuild/paint/re-wire, etc.

Unfortunately/fortunately (depending on who you ask; my wife or myself) I once again was on Craigslist (what an evil place!) and saw a cool '72 Scout II :twisted: with quite a bit of work already done to it. I showed the pic to my son who thought it extremely cool and soon we were on a trip to Idaho at the end of December to check it. My son didn't know the real reason we were going to this guy's shop because I had lied and told him we were looking at some Scout 800 doors for sale (I could still use a set). He walked right up to the Scout and didn't even see it one foot from him as he scanned the place looking for doors. How he missed the one of a kind air brushed skeleton heads and flames on the rig I'll never know... quite amusing though when I pointed out the truck to him! We bought it too. Can you believe I have no $ now and owe??

Two weeks ago Steve, my son, was driving the SII and the rear posi, Dana 44 axle chew itself up (or he chewed it up) and I found myself once again road tripping it back to Idaho to pick up another 73 Scout II parts Scout the same guy still had.

Let me tell ya my wife can think of many other things I could be doing/spending money on. I'm pretty sure for the $13 - 15k I've been putting into IH stuff I could have bought something pretty reliable. But what would the fun be in that?

Anyway, this site/club looks pretty great... although I'm pretty certain if I jump one of my scouts like Grumpy shows on his member picture at a dune, I'll have more issues/repairs than I really want ;) I can only assume he had a lot of repairs after that or has some serious after market suspension on that beast.?.

This weekend the SII should be back on the road. The only other task I need to perform is to weld up a new gas tank to replace the leaking 19 gallon! Soon after this, my 800 will also be on the road with a newly rebuilt 232 installed, new/used bucket seats, and body bushings to replace the virtually non existent ones from 1970.

My son and I look forward to joining and going on a 4x Peak Putter in the near future! :D
Dan

Too many projects, not enough time.

'70 Scout 800
'70 Scout 800 short cab project
'72 Scout II, 345 Auto, 4" Spring lift, 33" MTs, D44s
'99 Jeep JGC (Had to claim it since there are so many Jeep owners here:)

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:26 am

Welcome! While very few of us actually own/drive Scouts, I for one can certainly appreciate them. Look forward to seeing you on the trail!
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:33 am

Welcome, Dan! And I'm sure Alan will be glad to see another IH fan in here 8) That pic in my avatar was taken in about 1976, and it did cost some money over the years. Susan started keeping a "Divorce File" that she still has somehwere.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Welcome. :D

Don't let Grumpy fool you. He wheels a Ford.

Threescouts

Postby Threescouts » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:22 pm

What is Alan's member name?
Dan

'70 Scout 800

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Alan is binderfan on here...And, Clay, there is a Scout sitting in my driveway. Just need the kid to get fired up so we can finish it... :roll:
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Threescouts

Postby Threescouts » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:44 pm

Dave,

How old is your kid? What kind of Scout's in your driveway?
Dan

'70 Scout 800

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Grumpy wrote:And, Clay, there is a Scout sitting in my driveway. Just need the kid to get fired up so we can finish it... :roll:
Grumpy we know you have one. I have a CJ3A in my back yard and just need a few parts. I wheel a XJ and you wheel a Ford. :lol:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Dan, it's a '74 Scout II. 258, AX15 5spd, Dana 300, Waggy 44 in front, Honda 44 in back, with 4:30 gears. The axles make it 4 wheel discs and 6 bolt. Cage is done. There was some issue about leaf/coil in the front, and right now it's kinda just sitting. Also is on 35/1250x15 MT/R's.

Oh, and Steve's mid 30ish, kinda like some of the other yahoos on here. Cept me. I'm just a kid... :roll:
Dave

Quote:

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:20 am

Grumpy wrote:Dan, it's a '74 Scout II. 258, AX15 5spd, Dana 300, Waggy 44 in front, ISUZU 44 in back, with 4:30 gears.

Get it right Dave, there ain't no Honda parts on the turkey!

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:49 am

Okay, my bad! It did come out of a Passport, tho :?
Dave

Quote:

Return to “Introduction Area for the Newbies”