it wants to crawl on something

If you're new to our board please make your first post here and introduce yourself.
Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:34 am

rhulain wrote:yes it is on the list of wants of it. i have been up to the hood brifley twice going through water. once during mudding and the during a hurricane/flood waters, "in NC" if your wondering where. i try not to go deep the idea of hydro lock dosent sound fun.

Do you know anyone who has ever hydro-locked an engine where a snorkel would have saved it? I don't.

I have seen air flters get plugged and the engine die from lack of air, but never water in the engine.

Do you wear swim trunks when you drive the Jeep?
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:23 am

Wrench wrote:
rhulain wrote:yes it is on the list of wants of it. i have been up to the hood brifley twice going through water. once during mudding and the during a hurricane/flood waters, "in NC" if your wondering where. i try not to go deep the idea of hydro lock dosent sound fun.

Do you know anyone who has ever hydro-locked an engine where a snorkel would have saved it? I don't.

I have seen air flters get plugged and the engine die from lack of air, but never water in the engine.

Do you wear swim trunks when you drive the Jeep?

I have, had a friend hit a water hole that was deeper then he thought up in naches. Had to pull all the plugs and crank it over. Bent a connecting rod as a result. I personally don't like em but just sayin :wink:
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:15 am

I know there are places where a snorkel can help; AK, NC (during hurricane season), and VA (I had a buddy ruin an engine there via hydrolock). I probably should have sported one back in the day when I loved to play sub captain, but now I have too much respect for my wheel bearings to go adrift too much. I guess it has a lot to do with where you expect to be wheeling.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:52 am

I'm thinking if you were in a water hole up Naches, you just may have been somewhere you shouldn't have been...
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:10 am

Grumpy wrote:I'm thinking if you were in a water hole up Naches, you just may have been somewhere you shouldn't have been...

Not necessarily, many rigs were designed by uber intelligent engineers that flex their awesome designing abilities by mounting the air inlet behind or even below the headlights.

Not that it matters anyway noone actually waterproofs the ignition anyway so the snorkel doesn't even come into play. :lol:

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 am

Grumpy wrote:I'm thinking if you were in a water hole up Naches, you just may have been somewhere you shouldn't have been...

Lower 676 after a heavy rain. It's part of the trail. It was just deeper then usual and like trash said his intake was in a bad spot.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

rhulain

Postby rhulain » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:57 pm

i plan on silicone spray on all of the electrical components especially the distributor and ignition coil to insure no cut out. not to mention sealing the actual air box itself and the air lines/ intake tube. and you cant forget the vacuum lines need sealed. Being a US Marine Mech. the good majority of our vehicles have to ford water so i know most of what needs to be sealed and buttoned up.

rhulain

Postby rhulain » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:59 pm

because if the vehicle drowneds out i have to fix it.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:42 pm

By the way. . .

Thank you for your service. My family appreciates it. :hi

rhulain

Postby rhulain » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 pm

its what i do thank you . love my job i get to work on all different types of vehicles. and yes if we knew we were going slodging through water then yes id where my swim trunks. and have done ha.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Here we are 3 months later... Did you get the flares completed if so, can we see them in a pic anywhere?

Just sayin' :P
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

rhulain

Postby rhulain » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Grumpy wrote:Personally, if you leave it as is, I think you're a ticket looking to happen, on or off road...Best be learning the fender laws we have to deal with.

It should make you feel better now.

took well longer than expected to get the flairs made but Ive had more important things to do. Im in Barstow, Cali for now and there laws are a lot more stringent that NC.

rhulain

Postby rhulain » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:14 pm

It will look much better with the buffer taken to it and the sheeting to cover it . there completely removable in seconds the front is sleaved and the back has a bolt welded on the inside. remove the bolt, pull, removed. Image
I still remove them when I hit the dirt.

Return to “Introduction Area for the Newbies”