Winches? Questions, questions, questions....

If you're new to our board please make your first post here and introduce yourself.
4 LOW

Winches? Questions, questions, questions....

Postby 4 LOW » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:28 pm

So now that I have a winch ready bumper for the new Rubicon X (realize I need a mounting plate), which winch? Say that three times fast :-)

Steel cable vs. Synthetic rope?
Warn vs. Other?

What do I need to use the winch properly? I see on-line descriptions like: "Kit includes, Snatch block, 30` recovery strap, tree trunk protector, 2 d-rings, winch line dampner and gloves." What do I need to start? I need some education on how to use this stuff too please.

That should stir things up a bit .... ready .... go!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

--Rob

4 LOW

Postby 4 LOW » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Been looking at the Warn 9.5cti-s and the Zeon 10s. Not sure which is better or why right now but they seem to be popular in the forums. I am anxious to hear from folks that actually use their winches...am cautious about anything in a form (but then again it has to be true since it is on the Internet).

--Rob

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:06 pm

First you need to get stuck. Just follow me on a snow run, and I'll show you exactly how to do it. :lol:

Actually, I recently read a thread on Jeepforum.com discussing winches and plates for the new Rubicon X. I'll see if I can find it again.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:11 pm

I have a ~9k Rugged Ridge winch that works pretty well. It's my first winch. It's a little slow, but does the job.

If I had to do it over again I would probably just pick up one of the Harbor Freight winches and spend the saved money on a good synthetic rope. I hate pulling cable, and it can be a royal pain to unwind and rewind if it wads up when you are using it.

If you get a synthetic rope, you wont need the gloves or line damper. The tree hugger and snatch blocks are optional, but I wouldn't go without a good recovery strap or D rings.

I just got a coupon today for a 12k winch at Harbor Freight for around $250.

If you want fast and tough, and dont mind having an enormous anchor on the front of your rig, then you cant beat a good Warn 8274.

Here is some reading material: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/129-1 ... -shootout/
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:23 pm

if I had more play money i would buy warn and put syn line on it after the cable that came on it 9.5cti

if i were spending someone elses money id buy warn with syn line on it already i like the powerplant but have no real experience

in reallity i run used winches with steel cable and have aquired straps over time, ramsey tmax

they all pull me out of the crap out of the and work

mainly dont get caught up in the interweb hipe :lol:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Power plant is a pile of garbage. Other than that, you have a good plan.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:55 am

It's the internet, but here's a discussion and some pics.
Winch mounting on the factory Rubi X bumper.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/rubico ... 42033.html
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:48 am

OldGreen wrote:Power plant is a pile of garbage. Other than that, you have a good plan.

darn I thought they were a good idea.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:03 am

Find a good used 8274. Even if you have to do some rehab, I think most guys will tell it's a good unit. Curtis got the last one we knew about :wink:
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Chrispy

Postby Chrispy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:37 am

Warn 9.5 cti with synthetic rope. Only way to go.
HE TOOK THE BYPASS?? YEAH ITS A JEEP THING.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:05 am

Chrispy wrote:Warn 9.5 cti with synthetic rope. Only way to go.

Agree with this.. .selling mine was one of the more critical errors I've made (I have made MANY), but the only downside is that I think it is on the small side for a JKU with all the stuff on it.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:08 am

OldGreen wrote:

Agree with this.. .selling mine was one of the more critical errors I've made (I have made MANY), but the only downside is that I think it is on the small side for a JKU with all the stuff on it.

But, his is a 2-door, not a JKU. I think that is the right set up for his.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:24 am

iaccocca wrote:
OldGreen wrote:

Perfect. .9-10k winch with Synthetic. . .that one or the 10k Zeon. That new one looks sexay. . .

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:25 am

iaccocca wrote:
OldGreen wrote:

Plenty of winch for a 2 door and technically sufficient for even my (heavy) 4 door
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:29 am

For now I'll keep the two anchors (off brand winches) I have at either end (unless given a nice shiny Warn), and save up for some synthetic rope, as my cables are a mess in only two years, but have served me well.

Extra goodies ~ Definitely need a good tree saver a couple of d-ring (shackle anchors), gloves and a snatch block or pulley is a good idea.
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:18 am

JK Lance wrote:For now I'll keep the two anchors (off brand winches) I have at either end (unless given a nice shiny Warn), and save up for some synthetic rope, as my cables are a mess in only two years, but have served me well.

Extra goodies ~ Definitely need a good tree saver a couple of d-ring (shackle anchors), gloves and a snatch block or pulley is a good idea.

Note what Lance says about the cable. I can't agree more with the "steel getting messed up". The off-brand winches that are made TODAY work fine. Anything prior to about 2010 was questionable. But, synthetic rope is the best invention in off-road since. . .uh. . .1941. Or fuel injection. . .

By the way, the fact that a winch is your first upgrade shows a TON of intelligence!!!!! Nice work!!!! Safety and Recovery should always be Number 1!!! :lol:

4 LOW

Postby 4 LOW » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:25 am

Winch purchase is first followed closely by a Hi-Lift....I see another thread coming soon!

--Rob

4 LOW

Postby 4 LOW » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:27 am

Right now I am leaning towards the Zeon 10-s. Will probably use the Maximus-3 mount plate vs the Mopar to get it centered. Will need to cut the bumper to center but I think it will be worth the finished "look"!

Thanks all for the info....

--Rob

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:27 am

rskiba wrote:Winch purchase is first followed closely by a Hi-Lift....I see another thread coming soon!

--Rob

You should start one in the projects and buildups section.

You could also buy this winch: http://kpr.craigslist.org/pts/4311695535.html

And...I am scared as HECK of highlift jacks. No question that they are the right tool occasionally, but they are one of the most dangerous tools I have ever seen.

Chrispy

Postby Chrispy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm

I have a warn 8274 that I would trade fora 9.5ti cti.only
HE TOOK THE BYPASS?? YEAH ITS A JEEP THING.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:00 pm

OldGreen wrote:

I'm really glad you did 8) I love that winch!! By far the best winch I have ever used.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:36 pm

Wrench wrote:
Here is some reading material: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/129-1 ... -shootout/

That's the reason I went with the Superwinch EP9.0. At the time it was manufactured in Conn. but now I guess its China. :(
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

Return to “Introduction Area for the Newbies”