New guy for the Summer

If you're new to our board please make your first post here and introduce yourself.
foursix

New guy for the Summer

Postby foursix » Mon May 19, 2008 10:09 pm

Howdy all-

I am currently residing in Richland for the summer and hope to do some wheeling before I head back home in Mid July. I saw this tag in someones signature on AWORC so came to check it out. I think this is more what I was looking for anyway. I am a Biology teacher doing a PST internship with Battelle over at Hanford for the summer and I hail from Northern Michigan. I have been in snow and Dunes (Silver Lake) and a few rocks on Drummond island plus the local stuff but nothing like what is here. Would be great to hook up with a group and hit the Ahtanum/Naches area that I keep hearing so much about.
As for the rig well I drove it here cross country so I think it passes the endurance test although it still has a few things to fix (what jeep doesnt) it is basically trail ready. I am currently on 35 Pro-Comp AT's with a little armor here and there and some custom bumpers and such. The Warn 9.5 XP gets me out of dumb spots via the 125' of fireline synthetic and a bag full of nose straps, snatch blocks and d-rings. Driveline is pretty stock with a combo of body and suspension lift. As for the powerplant well the screen name is foursix for a reason.

Kevin

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon May 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Ok you have a nice spec sheet and you do actually mention you drive a Jeep but you never mention if its a cj2a, dj or a JK etc etc.. Maybe you have a uber hardcore liberty? :lol:

Welcome to the forum, I hail from Richland to.

foursix

Postby foursix » Tue May 20, 2008 5:36 am

True enough- I thought "hardcore Liberty" was an oxy moron like "Jumbo Shrimp" or "Huge Midgets"

This is the only pic I have fo the old YJ :roll: :roll: with me. This was ten days ago at Yellowstone on the ride out (took a little side trip)

Kevin

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Tue May 20, 2008 5:59 am

Welcome to the nuthouse :wink: I see you met Trashy already :shock: Likely saw this site in my sig. I am a mod and rooky trouble maker on EWOR.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

BullRider

Postby BullRider » Tue May 20, 2008 7:09 am

Welcome to the Desert foursix :) Looks like you have a capable little rig to hit some tight trails. The body armor and winch will go a long ways in the Ahtanum/Naches area. Good chance we'll see each other up their this summer :thu:

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Tue May 20, 2008 9:12 am

Welcome to the forum.

Nice Rig. You'll find there's lots of good wheeling out this way. You're getting out here at a good time too as summer is just about in full swing.

foursix

Postby foursix » Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! I stumbled my way out to Juniper tonight to have look around pretty area with some surprisingly decent hills, at least I got another pic of the old Turd for posterity.

Kevin

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue May 20, 2008 9:08 pm

Some of the better dunes are out a ways on the pipeline...FYI, before you head out again, you need to get a mast with a flag on it. Any of the bike shops should have them. We got ours at Tri City Cycle Supply down on Columbia Drive. I mention this as I don't see one in the pic...Glad you like our little sand box :wink: Read more in the Land section, and you'll see it does have it's issues :glare:
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

foursix

Postby foursix » Wed May 21, 2008 6:25 am

I was trying to figure out if I needed a flag or not, I thought that if it was street legal it did not but if it was n ORV it did which made no sense at all. I almost brought my flag with me... now I wished I had so I didnt have to buy a new one. There were a few bikes out there last night and I asked one of them if flags were required and they said no... I told them the sign right over there says I need one- bikers anyway , go figure.

Kevin
It'll weld back fine...

www.argorepair.com

BullRider

Postby BullRider » Wed May 21, 2008 1:10 pm

I'd be interested to know the law on flags and helmets also. The post in upcoming events mentioned bring your flags and helmet(if no rollcage). I agree they are great safety measures, but are they a legal safety measure? As far as the flag, I'll get one. As far as the Cage(someday soon). As far as the helmet, probably not unless competing.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed May 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Welcome. :D

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed May 21, 2008 1:45 pm

EVERYTHING that runs out there HAS have a flag. Bike/ATV riders HAVE to wear a helmit. If your rig is street legal with current tags, then you''re good. Bike/ATV have to have a current ORV tag, and approved spark arrestor. As far as 4x4's, I seem to recall that glass packs may be a naughty. Open sand rails and such I'm not sure, but seems like a helmit would be a good idea...Some of the other guys may be more up this than I am.
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed May 21, 2008 5:32 pm

More info in the "June 1st" thread elsewhere...
Dave

Quote:

BullRider

Postby BullRider » Wed May 21, 2008 6:29 pm

thanks for the info. I'll have to pick up a flag sooner than later. Figured on the helmets. It's been a long time since I've been out to Juniper(about 5-6 years ago). Amazing how rules and changes happen while your out of town.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed May 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Yeah, it's great. They got rules, but no LEGAL access :banghead
Dave

Quote:

foursix

Postby foursix » Wed May 21, 2008 8:56 pm

From what I read on the website

BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT OR-07-15 Contact: Michael Campbell For release: February 14, 2007 (503) 808-6031 Juniper Dunes Cooperative Agreement Reached SPOKANE – The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has announced the completion of a
cooperative use and lease agreement to provide the public with more consistent access to the
Juniper Dunes Wilderness Area and Juniper Forest in Franklin County northeast of the Tri-Cities,
Washington.

"I appreciate the work that Franklin County, Mr. DeRuyter and the BLM have put into developing
a solution," said U.S. Congressman Doc Hastings. "This agreement will increase public access to
Juniper Dunes, while respecting the rights of nearby property owners."

Since the early 1960s, Juniper Dunes has been a popular regional outdoor recreation area. Its
amenities include large sand dunes, designated a wilderness by Congress in 1984, important
nesting areas for several species of hawks, and a large area open to off-highway vehicles.

The agreement between the BLM and local landowner Mr. Steven DeRuyter allows for
authorized users, including the public, to have the right to enter onto Peterson Road for purposes
of accessing the Juniper Dunes Wilderness Area and Juniper Forest. The agreement also calls for
unfettered and exclusive access and use of Peterson Road, by Mr. DeRuyter, for the purpose of
planting and harvesting crops and for other agricultural uses.

“This agreement really allows us to move in the right direction and break through the gridlock. It
will allow for much more consistent access for adjacent private landowners, wildlife groups,
equestrian organizations, off-highway vehicle users, the BLM and Franklin County,â€
It'll weld back fine...

www.argorepair.com

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu May 22, 2008 4:08 am

I agree about the garbage :curse: Sure as hell doesn't help our cause any. Several of our guys drug a clapped out Bronco II out of there this winter, and I made the calls to BLM to haul it off. We even voluteered to do it. Was still a couple week it took BLM to get it out of there :banghead
Dave

Quote:

foursix

Postby foursix » Thu May 22, 2008 5:50 am

I thought I saw a cleanup scheduled
somewhere? Or maybe it has passed already-

KK
It'll weld back fine...

www.argorepair.com

BullRider

Postby BullRider » Thu May 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Man, I don't remember their being this much trouble going on out their before I left the regoin. Of Coarse The Columbia Point and Road 100 were still being used also. Maybe now that they're closed the trouble makers are making Juniper a eye soar too. It seems there is alot less places to ride now days, and I'd hate to lose this one too. Sounds like there is a lot of good actions and interest coming from folks like the Peak Putters though. I'm all for jumping on the bandwagon of keeping local areas alive.

tenikiwon

Postby tenikiwon » Thu May 22, 2008 5:42 pm

Welcome from a fellow Midwestern!
Gone wheel'n......I wish :(
Andrew J. Nowicki
The FORD III - 2002 F250 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel - Tow Vehicle
Zuks(2 '87s & 88.5) Suzuki Samurai
My Home on the Web

Return to “Introduction Area for the Newbies”