99's Ridge Views Run (July 4th, 2007)

Pics and reports of other misc areas.
Beep Beep

99's Ridge Views Run (July 4th, 2007)

Postby Beep Beep » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:35 am

My wife (99) wanted to go see some view from the top of some mountains since it was going to be hot in the Yakima Valley and it would be cooler up there. So on July 4th, 2007 we left Ceg Ranch around 10 AM with two rigs on this run. We topped our fuel tanks in Naches and headed west on Hwy12. At road FS1500 (Bethel Ridge Rd) we turn off Hwy12 and stopped to air down. The wash board was beating us up.

It was much smoother running 10 lbs. We headed up on top of Bethel Ridge to a view point near the Microwave tower.

Great views from there of Divide Ridge, Rimrock, Mt Adams, Goat Rocks and Mt Rainier.

Here Fatboy is talking to 911 about the fire that was down below us. We want to make sure someone knew about it incase it was not a controlled burn which it was.

Next we head back over to FS1500 and head down to Hwy410. At Hwy410 we headed west a few miles to FS1702 (Rock Creek Rd). We took FS1702 to the end then hit 4W675.

At FS530 we went up to see the view from Bald Mountain Lookout. Here we turn around at 4W644. That is where the lookout tower used to stand.

Next we headed down FS530 and then on down FS1701 to FS1712.

We make our way toward Cleman Mountain Lookout.

Once at the Lookout Tower we were sadden to see what was left of the historical building.

We took in the view from Cleman Mountain.

Fatboy telling us he had seen the tower up a few years back and how someone was using it to watch a fire.

Next it was time to head on down the ridge toward Hwy410. We stopped at Mud Lake so the dogs could get cooled down.

We decide to air up at Mud Lake since we were not to for from Hwy410 and this was the last shade on the trail. It was a very hot day.

After airing up we headed back to Ceg Ranch for a barbeque. A little after 9 PM we head to town to watch the fire words.

This was a real fun 4 of July.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:44 pm

Sounds like a good day :!: You're right about the lookouts. Too bad the USFS wasn't inclined to turn them into trail shelters :cry: Yeah, well, they blame it on budgets and vandals (Who need to be thrown off the mountain). My Father In Law was involved with burning several old cabins up the Rogue River from Gold Beach, one of which was the Zane Grey cabin :x Took him a while to get over that one :ang:
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Other Areas”