April 24 Othello Mudfest

Pics and reports of other misc areas.
SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

April 24 Othello Mudfest

Postby SPR » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:52 am

I guess the club's participation with the Othello Mudfest qualifies for a club run report. This is a brief write-up for those who didn't attend.

Tim, Chris, and Jose/wife/child showed up Friday evening to case the place out. Tim and Chris had an eventful pre-ran of the rock pit. Their impression that the pit was more difficult than Zack's Pasco Mudfest rock pit became a proven fact the following day.

Saturday morning was cold, windy, and dusty. Steve/wife/son, Rob, and Curtis/son showed up to help run the tech inspection. We all tech rigs and ate blowing dust until roughly 11:00 AM. In short there were a lot of rigs (maybe 70) from mild to wild to "what are you thinking?" Mudbogs draws some strange folks. Fortunately, racers were in good spirits and the tech went well.

Crowds where light... maybe 300 plus spectators. The event viewing was good and the weather turned nice. Zack had good crews running the events and it appears that everything went well.

Wench participated in the dirt drags and won his class. Tim and Chris participated in the rockcrawl. I think Tim may have won his class -- I didn't stick around for the trophy awards.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: April 24 Othello Mudfest

Postby Wrench » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:55 am

Screaming Toylet wrote:Wench participated in the dirt drags and won his class.

Wench? Who you callin' a Wench?? :P

I had LOADS of fun!

I drove up Friday night in the RV with the family. Next morning brought rain about 5am, along with cold wind that never quit blowing all day.

I entered the 100 dirt and mud classes initially. Start of the day, there were no other 100 dirt class rigs, so I bumped myself up with the 200's. I placed mid-pack in the 200 class, but it sure is tough to make a 4-cylinder pull with those healthy 6's with bigger tires.

Later, another contestant showed up for the 100 dirt class, and they let me race him since there was no one else in that class. I took my 2 wins against him and won a little cash and a nice 1st place trophy.

The mud bog was pretty good. There were a few others in the 100 class for the mud. By the time we were up, the bog was very deeply rutted, and the left lane was definitely the worst lane . Both my losses were in the left lane, but noone else was winning in that lane either. I placed mid-pack again, those 6's with taller tires just walked away from me in the ruts (I was running 33's). It probably made it worse since I was squatting with only 10psi in the tires. :roll:

Overall, I feel pretty good about it. Lack of power seemed to be the biggest issue, though I beat every other 4-clylinder in my classes.

The carnage:
Nothing broke on the Jeep, but my son (9) was playing in the Laser-Tag tent and somehow managed to get smacked in the face pretty bad. His upper lip got a hole in it and it knocked one of his teeth loose.

*Thanks to Lurch for all the help with that!!*

I contacted Lurch for a little help, and he had his mother (retired Nurse?) come help my wife and son. My wife ended up taking him to the Hospital, where they gave him 5 stitches and some pain killers.

One of my friends also attended and raced the 400 class. He ended up taking home a 3rd place trohy in the 400 Mud class with his '69 Blazer.

One of my other friends pulled in the tug-of-war and broke his truck, but still managed to take the win.

Overall, it was one of those "helluva-ride" long days that had us collapsing at home with big grins on our faces. 8)
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:22 am

Thanks to those Putters and candidates who showed up and did the tech inspection. I was sick that I could not be there (and just plain sick.) I hope we get more opportunities to do this.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:32 am

x2...On the plain sick part, too :deg :bobo
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:57 pm

Sounds fun guys.. I too spent the day wishing I could have been there.

Return to “Other Areas”