2010 X-mass Tree Run

Pics and reports of other misc areas.
SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

2010 X-mass Tree Run

Postby SPR » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:46 pm

In short, there were 10 rigs that showed for the 2010 X-mass tree run up to Tucannon River/bottom of Patrick Grade. We left the Sacajawea pull-off shortly after 0800 horus. The roads where great all the way up to the turn off to Patrick Grade. We found enough snow to sled and get a few rigs stuck. The weather was prefect which made visiting around a campfire very pleasant. The deep snow made X-mass Tree hunting a bit difficult but everyone who looked found one.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:49 am

I grabbed these pictures from my sister's facebook.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:04 am

Good times for sure. . .

We had a blast on the tree run. So much so that I'm hoping for a redeux in January. . .sledding, chilidogs, fire. . .

Anybody ever figure out what somebody could be hunting in full camo w/modern rifles on that weekend? Can you hunt predators w/o orange?

And Steve, I saw a BIG black bear sow and a cub about 1/2 mile from there a couple of years ago. . .

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:46 am

They could hunt cougar, fox, bobcat, hare, rabbit, raccoon and coyote without hunter orange if there is no late season modern riffle elk or deer hunts occurring. Bear season is closed right now because WDFW doesn't want folks digging them out of their dens while they are hibernating.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:55 am

OldGreen wrote:Good times for sure. . .

We had a blast on the tree run. So much so that I'm hoping for a redeux in January. . .sledding, chilidogs, fire. . .

Anybody ever figure out what somebody could be hunting in full camo w/modern rifles on that weekend? Can you hunt predators w/o orange?

And Steve, I saw a BIG black bear sow and a cub about 1/2 mile from there a couple of years ago. . .

I'm pretty sure those were muzzleloaders (they look like modern rifles now with scopes and everything). At least I would be very surprised if they were centerfire.

ETA: Or what steve said.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 am

Well, if they were hunting for attitude problems, they sure found them.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:46 pm

OldGreen wrote:Well, if they were hunting for attitude problems, they sure found them.

I smell a story...
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Don

Postby Don » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:11 pm

I think my tree got bigger on the way home .... :roll:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Grumpy wrote:
OldGreen wrote:Well, if they were hunting for attitude problems, they sure found them.

I smell a story...

Not really. . .Hunters were being jackholes to the squirrel man right up until a few other rigs rolled up. I felt kinda bad for them, but notsomuch for their attitude problems. It is "a land of many uses" afterall. Sledding is perfectly legal.

Now, what DON was doing with his sled is probably frowned upon. . .but not illegal.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:21 pm

I don't feel bad for them at all. It's not really legal to hunt on the road.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Oh, the were donning their snow shoes and heading out to the woods. . .

Don

Postby Don » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:39 pm

OldGreen wrote:
Not really. . .Hunters were being jackholes to the squirrel man right up until a few other rigs rolled up. I felt kinda bad for them, but notsomuch for their attitude problems. It is "a land of many uses" afterall. Sledding is perfectly legal.

Now, what DON was doing with his sled is probably frowned upon. . .but not illegal.

Eh .. they parked in the turn around I diligently made! (Dale can attest to the time and effort I put into it ;). No where else to turn around on that hill, so I figured I might as well sled until they gave me my turn around spot back! They weren't the highlight of the day, so I don't want to dwell on that ...

I have to say, that was an awesome day! Growing up, my family would get together every year with several other families to go up in the snow to get Christmas trees and go sledding. This run reminded me so much of that. It was great to see kidlets and adults having fun. I'm already looking forward to it next year!

I can't say much for my tree selecting ability ... but that's part of the fun. Who wants a generic farm tree anyway!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:37 pm

I'm already looking forward to the January run... (I imagine Santa is bringing sleds for the girls!)
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Return to “Other Areas”