Tree Run 2012. . .A prelude to winter

Pics and reports of other misc areas.
OldGreen

Tree Run 2012. . .A prelude to winter

Postby OldGreen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:59 pm

First off. . .I was late. Then I flew by the rendezvous point trying to make up ground only to realize that the rest of the crew was still there. . .sheesh. . .LOL

Anyway, We rolled out of the house on time for our 9AM scheduled meet up with the group, headed out for some fuel and coffee after loading down Orville with the goods for the day.

That went off without a hitch but then we had a Starbucks emergency. They made Lori's coffee wrong. . .so, we swung into the location on Road 68 in Pasco to get it fixed. They, of course, were accommodating. On our return to the freeway, we HAD to stop to buy Krispy Kreme's from the kids trying to raise money for wayward Indian goat herders. . .or something. It all happened so fast. Anyway, that's why we were late. Coffee and Donuts. . .go figure.

Then we flew by the meeting spot to notice the attendees:

Ybarra's: Jose, Sveta, Isabell and granny Nadia.
Richards: Steve, Dolly and the Airman
along with yours truly plus my whole clan but minus CJ. . .He's been a little under the weather.

Onward to Dayton we flew like the down of a thistle. . .or a Chevy and two Jeeps. . .

Quick stop for road soda's and potty and Steve throwing some fuel in and we were off. Hartsog was slick and steep. We started getting into the snow in earnest around Camp Wooten. At that point, it was snowing really hard and accumulating fast. There was only one thing to do with this much snow on that particular road: It was time to stop at the horse park and hook up the "HookyBob 5000".

Will was up first and had a slow go of it because of tree hunter traffic in a tragic Chevy pickup. Jessy took the second 1.2 mile run in speed and style but a bad bump left her with a sore ankle. The last run with Will. . .well. . .let's just say there was nothing safe about it. No pictures to protect the guilty. OH> > >Jose even took a short turn, but holding the his tree on his lap while trying to manhandle the sled proved to be too much for him at 4mph.

The group re-grouped. The Richards and the Ybarra's had their respective trees bagged and tagged. We then went to work on what Putters do best: The chow!. BBQ burgers, dogs, and ribs. . .dang fine eatin'. A micro-pop or two and some lively conversation made the near whiteout conditions seem like a spring day. Well.. .not quite. The fire even took a holiday from the cold and left us wondering what the heck we were still doing on that mountain!

So, level heads prevailed and we retraced our steps all the way back to Waitsburg where locally crafted beers (some of root, some of hops) helped us recount the days events and plan for future modifications and fixes in preparation for the next outing (snow wheelin' in January anyone?).

There we parted ways, Steve and Dion back to Dayton to sample some fresh backed cookies and the rest of us back home to the great northern dez.

One thing is for sure: We had a blast!!!

As I sit by the PC listening to the sounds of dinner being made, the TV in the other room, and my daughter playing the Red Hot Chili Peppers on the guitar, I'm reminded on the real reason for the tree run:

Tradition. I hope that our kids carry this one on. :wink:

By the by. . .we saw 45 deer and 4 jumbo turkeys!

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:20 pm

I wish my stuff was running. Looks like a great time.

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Shoot wish I had known you guys were going to Dayton. I can't wait to get back over there to explore some snowy roads.
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:32 pm

fyi if anyone has not gotten a tree i have a tree permit still free for the using

Return to “Other Areas”