Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

WTA Activist Outings

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:23 am

WTA Activist Outings
— filed under: Advocacy Opportunity, Guided Hike
Join WTA for a fact finding hike in our national forests.

What Advocacy Opportunity
Guided Hike

When Jul 11, 2009 12:00 AM to
Sep 26, 2009 12:00 AM
Contact Name Jonathan
Contact Phone 206-625-1367
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal
In an effort to better understand the current state of motorized use in our national forests, Washington Trails Association will be leading a number of activist outings this summer. These exploratory hikes will be geared at gathering on the ground information for specific trails and areas of concern. This data will help WTA better understand what areas of our national forests need better protection or enforcement.

Hiker activists will meet WTA’s advocacy director, Jonathan Guzzo, at the trailhead. Then you’ll begin to explore the area looking for signs of resource damage, ORV incursions or the potential access points into wilderness where motorize and non-motorized trails intersect. This information will be documented through photos and mapping locations, and will be used to help WTA efforts to protect hiking trails and wilderness during the National Forests’ Travel Management process.

Outing schedule:

July 11 – Mad River, from Chiwawa side (Wenatchee NF)

Distance: 12 mile loop Elevation gain: 1,250 feet

See the alpine meadows and wildflowers before this trail opens up to ORVs in late July.

August 1 – 2 Fortune Creek overnight exploration (Teanaway)

Distance: 10 mile lollipop, Elevation Gain: 3,000 feet

A stunning Alpine Lakes-adjacent river valley with access to high-country basins; we’ll likely encounter 4X4s. Set-up camp in this beautiful area and spend two afternoons exploring surrounding trails to see if there is evidence of motorized incursions into wilderness.

September 12 – Langille Ridge (Gifford Pinchot National Forest)

Distance: 11 miles round-trip, Elevation Gain: 2800 feet

A classic huckleberry hike in the Dark Divide, with 360 degree views and great wildflowers.

September 26 – Johnson Ridge (Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie NF)

Distance: 9 miles round-trip, Elevation Gain: 2900 feet

Adjacent to the newly-minted Wild Sky Wilderness, Johnson Ridge is a great little out-and-back with good views.

If you can’t make it on an outing there are still opportunities for you to help WTA gather information. Take WTA’s ORV incursion reporting form with you on your next trip to the national forest and if you come across damage or riders in wilderness areas please let us know about it.

If you are interested in learning more about WTA activist outings or want to join a hike contact Jonathan Guzzo at jonathan@wta.org.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: WTA Activist Outings

Postby iaccocca » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:03 am

Grumpy wrote:August 1 – 2 Fortune Creek overnight exploration (Teanaway)

Distance: 10 mile lollipop, Elevation Gain: 3,000 feet

A stunning Alpine Lakes-adjacent river valley with access to high-country basins; we’ll likely encounter 4X4s. Set-up camp in this beautiful area and spend two afternoons exploring surrounding trails to see if there is evidence of motorized incursions into wilderness.

Maybe we show up at their campsite with beer and steaks. Us big bad wheelers might make some friends.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:10 am

Quit reading my mind, willya :twisted:
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:28 pm

If I read the google maps right, Fortune Cr. is a ways NE of Cle Elum Lake, not at Teanaway. No wonder these guys get lost up in the woods...Anybody know what's there for a camp area?
Dave

Quote:

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”