Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Ann's Butte Closure

Postby Grumpy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:11 am

Off Road Area Closed in Eastern Oregon Due to Resource Damage
By Sarah Peters

January 15, 2009

Email this blog entry
Printer friendly version
This week the Forest Service was forced to close the Ann's Butte area in Eastern Oregon to motorized use due to severe resource damage and erosion. Vehicles attempting to climb steep hills by going straight up the slope had apparently created some of the worst erosion problems. As any of us can see who recreate outdoors, whether on foot or on a motorized vehicle, most trails are built with switchbacks and do not proceed straight up a steep slope. There's a reason for this - to control and reduce the likelihood of erosion. That's why cutting corners, again, whether you're under your own power or using that of a machine, can cause damage and is a generally bad idea. Unfortunately, this more leisurely and more environmentally friendly way up a hill takes away part of the challenge that motorized users are seeking, and I find it hard to believe that it was "a few bad apples" that couldn't resist going off trail and testing their machine against nature on a hill climb, or creating multiple side by side trails, like are shown in the video.

In fact, I find it hard to believe in the "it's only a few bad apples" assertion at all. Check out a review of the "few bad apples" assertion that Wildlands CPR put together back in December 2007 to make your own decision.

When public land mangement agencies like the Forest Service don't manage motorized use by allowing motorized users to drive wherever they want, don't require vehicles to stay on designated and hopefully well-designed trails, or when agencies don't have the manpower to enforce a designated system, you will end up with these sorts of environmental problems and conflicts in all but the rarest of places.

Clearly this area isn't able to sustain the type of use that it was receiving and the FS must evaluate how to manage this area to repair existing damage and prevent future harm from occurring. And clearly it was more than "a few bad apples" that did the damage. To watch the news video or read the text from the news report about Ann's Butte, click
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”