Moab May Be In Trouble

Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Moab May Be In Trouble

Postby Grumpy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:33 pm

Congress to Vote on H.R. 1925 America's Red Rock Wilderness Act This Thursday!

Moab Might Be Gone Forever!

Posted Today 01:35 PM by 4WOR Web Editor

Filed under: Miscellaneous, Jason Gonderman

The Chairman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing on October 1 to consider H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009.

This legislation -- which will ban off-highway vehicle (OHV) access to public lands to those who live and recreate in
Utah -- was introduced by New York Representative Maurice Hinchey.

However, not a single Representative from Utah is supporting H.R.1925.

Specifically, H.R. 1925 would designate more than nine million more acres as federally protected "Wilderness," and directly affect the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock areas (to name a few) in Utah.

These popular OHV areas represent some of the most important remaining OHV recreation areas in Utah, and are some of the most popular with responsible OHV riders. The proposed Wilderness designation would also make the land off limits to ATV riders, mountain bikers and horseback
riders.

Coming on the heels of the recently enacted Omnibus Public Land Management Act, which closed 2 million acres of public lands, this vast Wilderness bill will take away additional recreation opportunities currently enjoyed by local residents and visitors alike.

The AMA needs your help now to stop H.R. 1925. The fastest way to reach your U.S. Representative is to call them. You can find contact information for your elected officials by entering your zip code on AmericanMotorcyclist.com, clicking on "Rights," then "Issues and Legislation." Additionally, a prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your Representative immediately by following the "Take
Action" option and entering your information.

Please contact your Representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 1925.

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert ... d=14061961

Sep 29, 2009 3:29 pm
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:35 pm

It's just sad that a geek from New York can do this!! What a travesty...
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:18 am

Also in the Senate as S.799...
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 am

Cosponsors:

S.799 - Maria Cantwell (D-WA)

HR 1925 - Brian Baird (D-WA)
Earl Blumenauer (D-OR)
Peter DeFazio (D-OR)
Norm Dicks (D-WA)
Jay Inslee (D-WA)
Rick Larsen (D-WA)
Jim McDermott (D-WA)
Adam Smith (D-WA)
David Wu (D-OR)
Dave

Quote:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:58 am

Clifton Retterer
xxxx Wxxth AVE
KENNEWICK, WA 99337-XXXX
October 1, 2009

The Honorable Maria Cantwell
511 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Re: Protect more than 9 million acres from OHV restrictions
Dear Senator Cantwell:
As a constituent and concerned motorized outdoor recreationist, I am writing to ask you to oppose S.799, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. S.799 will designate more than nine million additional acres as Wilderness and unnecessarily close access to responsible recreation at the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock off-highway vehicle areas (to name a few) in Utah.
The closure of these trails will be devastating to many friends and families who recreate together responsibly.
We cannot afford to close any more trails without providing alternative OHV opportunities. Again, I ask that you oppose S.799.
Thank you for your time and consideration of this important issue.
Sincerely, Clifton L. Retterer

(I also sent a similar email to Doc, becuase he is on the house committee reviewing this.)
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:57 pm

I have sent Doc a couple of tomes on this and other issues...
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:50 am

During the hearing yesterday, Peter Metcalf speaks on behalf of the Outdoor Industry Association in support of HR 1925. Mentions some of the member companies, one being Cabela's. Afterward, several OHV users contact Cabela's and voice their concerns. A rep from Cabela's (David Draper) responds by posting on Pirate. This is one of his posts...

"I have been in contact with Frank Hugelmeyer, President and CEO of the Outdoor Industry Association, who has assured me the OIA has not taken a position on H.R. 1925. He has provided me with a statement, which I’ve posted below.

Again, I want to assure you Peter Metcalf does not speak for Cabela’s and it’s unfortunate he claimed to do so in his testimony yesterday. Cabela’s does not support H.R. 1925, or any legislation aimed at eliminating or restricting access to public lands.

I appreciate those who have reached out to help educate me about the issues you are facing and discuss ways in which Cabela’s can help promote and protect access for everyone who enjoys the outdoors.

David Draper
Cabela’s Inc.

OIA Statement on H.R. 1925

The Outdoor Industry Association Board of Directors has not taken a position on H.R. 1925 America's Red Rock Wilderness Act nor does it plan to take a position. The recent testimony of Peter Metcalf were his own statements and not OIA board approved.

OIA supports the full spectrum of recreational activities on public lands and represents the broad interests of its many outdoor manufacturer and retail members in the public policy arena.

The OIA public policy agenda is focused on ensuring a fair and proper treatment of the outdoor industry's innovative products as they move through the supply chain to retail and on pursuing increased investment for public lands and close-to-home recreation infrastructure.

Frank Hugelmeyer
President and CEO
Outdoor Industry Association "

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Red Rock hearing: Agreement on wilderness, but not on how or how much
Protecting treasures » Critics say bill goes too far, too fast
by Matt Canham

The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated: 10/02/2009 07:02:18 AM MDT

GOP Sens. Orrin Hatch and Bob Bennett and Democratic Rep. Jim Matheson testify before the House Natural Resources subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands on Thursday. All three oppose legislation that would designate about 20 percent of the state as wilderness areas, blocking development and oil and gas drilling.
After 20 years, Red Rock bill gets first hearing in CongressWashington » Everyone who participated in a congressional hearing Thursday on a bill granting wilderness status to massive areas of Utah agreed the state has spectacular lands that deserve protection.

But passionate disagreements emerged over how to accomplish that.

Utah's five federal lawmakers appeared at the House subcommittee hearing to denounce the Red Rock bill, a statewide effort 20 years in the making that would protect 9.4 million acres from new roads, mining or off-road vehicles.

"There are beautiful pristine areas of Utah that need to be protected, but this bill goes far far beyond that," said Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, the ranking Republican member of the public lands subcommittee. "This particular bill is a relic of the past. It has not been successful since the age of disco and it will not be successful now or in the future."

Utah's congressional delegation favors smaller county-level bills where local politicians, business leaders and environmentalists agree on what lands deserve the government's highest level of protection, such as the Washington County lands bill that designated more than 250,000 acres of new wilderness earlier this year.

But the supporters of the Red Rock act, led by the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, say a statewide bill is needed to head off the ongoing damage done by off-road vehicle enthusiasts.

Robert Abbey, the director of the Bureau of
Land Management, sided with Utah's lawmakers, saying he preferred "an approach that is more geographically focused" instead of a statewide wilderness bill.

In his written testimony, Abbey said: "Many of these lands are extraordinary, with unmatched wild land resources." Yet he also pointed out that the Red Rock proposal would "present serious challenges because of existing and conflicting uses," including active mining and biking trails and OHV trails.

The Red Rock act's sponsor, Rep. Maurice Hinchey, D-N.Y., said he was open to all alternative ways to protect these lands, which include the San Rafael Swell and Desolation Canyon, but he thought "a small piecemeal strategy" would take decades to accomplish.

Utah's lawmakers made it clear they didn't appreciate so many politicians from other states pushing a bill impacting lands only within Utah.

"To those colleagues who have put their names on this proposal I say: Thanks, but no thanks. I think as a congressional delegation we have proven we can handle the question of wilderness in Utah," Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said.

Hinchey said the bill was not only supported by people outside Utah. The Red Rock act has been created by Utah environmental activists and a recent poll commissioned by SUWA and conducted by Dan Jones, shows that 60 percent of the Utah public supports wilderness designation of 9 million acres or more.

He said the BLM has already found that 75 percent of the lands included in the Red Rock act have wilderness characteristics and the proposal impacts "just 40 percent of the public lands in Utah."

Utah's lone Democrat in Congress, Rep. Jim Matheson, said he opposes the Red Rock act because it fails to take into consideration the views of those outside of the environmental community. He urged the bill's supporters to follow the "bipartisan road map for future legislative success," that is the Washington County lands bill.

Sen. Bob Bennett said this road map is poised to create consensus wilderness legislation in other areas of the state as working groups in counties such as Piute and San Juan are actively seeking a compromise.

And Bennett brushed aside complaints that these regional bills would take too long.

"They have been trying the statewide approach for 20 years and haven't produced a single acre of wilderness," he said.

Bishop also criticized the bill for not including detailed maps and for taking in areas that don't qualify for wilderness because they are currently being used for mining or recreation.

SUWA members and other supporters of the bill say they have a series of technical changes ready to go and they would like to discuss other ways to improve the bill. They are seeking serious discussion with Utah's lawmakers, saying they want to move forward on two tracks -- the Red Rock bill and the county-level proposals.

But Utah's lawmakers didn't seem interested in the slightest.

"A statewide wilderness bill," Bennett said, "simply will not fly in the United States Senate.
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Congressman Attempts to Close Public Lands by Circumventing Legislative Process

Take Action!

Contact your Representatives to oppose H.R. 1925!

On November 10, U.S. Representative Maurice Hinchey of New York, along with 88 other colleagues, sent a letter to the U.S. Department of the Interior Secretary Ken Salazar asking that he circumvent normal legislative procedures and administratively close more than 9 million public land acres in Utah. Effectively designating Wilderness areas without public debate or congressional approval only further erodes the public's confidence in their government. Hinchey is attempting to thwart the legislative process by having the public lands described in his bill, H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009, administratively protected by the Secretary.

Specifically, the letter directs Salazar to "utilize the considerable authorities granted to you under the Federal Land Policy and Management Act and other statutes to administratively protect the wilderness characteristics of the lands contained in the Red Rock legislation until Congress acts to protect them statutorily."

This letter comes on the heels of an October 1 hearing of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources regarding the consideration of H.R. 1925 in which members of Utah's own Congressional delegation testified in opposition to the bill. In fact, not a single member of Utah's delegation supports this legislation. This legislation will ban off-highway vehicle (OHV) access to public lands to those who live and recreate in Utah. To see the Utah delegation and Ranking Member Doc Hastings speak out against H.R. 1925, click here. To read AMA's press release on the hearing, click here, and click here to read Hinchey's press release on H.R. 1925.

H.R. 1925 would designate 9.4 million acres as federally protected Wilderness, and directly affect the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock areas, among others, in Utah. These popular OHV areas represent some of the most important remaining OHV recreation areas in the state. The proposed Wilderness designation would also make the land off limits to all-terrain vehicle (ATV) riders and mountain bikers.

The AMA needs your help now to stop H.R. 1925. The fastest way to reach your U.S. Representative is to call them. You can find contact information for your elected officials by entering your zip code on AmericanMotorcyclist.com > Rights > Issues & Legislation. Additionally, a prewritten e-mail is available for you to immediately send to your Representative by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information.

Please contact your Representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 1925. Encourage your friends and family to voice their opposition as well by using the "Tell a Friend" feature located below.

AmericanMotorcyclist.com

Rapid Response Center

Contribute to the Cause

Get Involved

Register To Vote

Does this give you an idea of just how henhouse these people will get to have their ends accomplished?!?! This is what we're dealing with at ALL levels, including here in Washington.
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:09 am

With Zero Support From Utah, N.Y. Rep Tries To Circumvent Congress to Close 9.4 Million Acres in Utah
Thursday November 12, 2009

Rep. Maurice Hinchey, Democrat from New York, is trying to by-pass the congressional debate of H.R. 1925, which would close over 9 million acres in Utah to OHVs. Since he failed miserably in trying to get ANY representative from Utah to back him in his land grab, he has resorted to asking Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to use his administrative powers to close those lands without debate and without approval from the very state that would be affected.

If enacted, this bill would close the designated areas to all activity including OHVs, bicycles and horses. This includes Moab, one of THE places to offroad, hike and ride horses.

To make things worse, much of the land that is covered in this bill does not comply with the requirements to create such a wilderness designation. According to the Wilderness Act of 1964, Wilderness can only apply to lands 'retaining its primeval character and influence, without permanent improvements or human habitation.'

This closure would be on top of the 2 million acres already closed, and would greatly damage the local economies that rely on the income from OHV recreation in these very popular places. It is my opinion that there is a clear and concise effort to destroy the financial livelihood of Utah. The AMA is urging all offroaders, equines and bicyclists to join together and make their voices heard by contacting the powers that be and telling them to Leave Utah Alone!

Read the letter that Hinchey and 88 other representatives sent to try to force the closure of MOAB without going through the proper channels.

.Comments (0)See All Posts
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:16 am

For Immediate Release
November 10, 2009
Hinchey Leads 89 House Members in Calling on
Interior Secretary Salazar to Administratively Protect
Wild Lands in Utah While Congress Continues to Work on Legislation

Washington, DC - Congressman Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) today led a letter from a group of 89 members of the U.S. House of Representatives calling on Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to protect Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands proposed for wilderness designation in Utah while Congress continues to work on measures to legislatively protect 9.4 million acres of public, wilderness quality land in the state. The letter comes a month after a House Committee on Natural Resources hearing that examined Hinchey’s America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act, H.R. 1925. In that hearing, members of the Utah congressional delegation, the director of the BLM, and various stakeholders all agreed on the importance of designating wilderness in Utah, but differed on how it should be done.

"While there are some differences of opinion on how to protect Utah's remarkably beautiful landscape, there is a consensus that millions of acres within the state warrant wilderness protection," Hinchey said. "Given the common belief that much of this land should be safeguarded, it makes sense for the Interior Department to step in and temporarily protect these lands while Congress and state officials sort out the best way to protect these precious acres for this and future generations of Americans to enjoy and admire. These are the very scenic lands that the previous administration hoped to turn into off-road vehicle playgrounds and oil and gas fields. Implementing the recommendations we set forward in our letter will help restore balance while the legislative process moves forward."

The letter sent today stresses the importance of protecting wild landscapes and ultimately designating wilderness in Utah. It asks Salazar to direct the BLM to exercise its authority and administratively protect those lands, most of which BLM itself recognizes as wilderness quality, until Congress passes a final wilderness bill for Utah.

Included among the recommendations contained in the letter to Salazar is the rejection of a 2003 out-of-court settlement between the BLM and the state of Utah (known as the “Norton-Leavitt wilderness settlementâ€
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:54 am

Noel, faith leaders stage impromptu wilderness debate

By Peggy Fletcher Stack

The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated: 02/11/2010 09:59:41 AM MST

Rep. Mike Noel waded into a circle of interfaith advocates of wilderness protection in the Capitol Rotunda on Wednesday and almost immediately began defending his approach to "God's country" and his support of recreational vehicles in the outdoors.

"We've now created stacks of regulations," said the Kanab Republican, an outspoken critic of climate-change science and environmental activists. "Whatever you want to do on public lands, it is protested."

For more than 20 minutes, he engaged in a civil debate with leaders and members from 11 faiths -- Roman Catholic, Episcopal, Islamic, Jewish, Latter-day Saint, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Quaker, Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ -- who had gathered to showcase 250 images of Utah's beauty and ask their elected leaders to "recognize the spiritual importance of Utah's wild lands and support their preservation."

Designating wilderness will not "lock up" the land, insisted Stephen Trimble, a member of Utah's Jewish Reconstructionist congregation Chavurah B'Yachad.

Nearly three-fourths of the ground in America's Redrock Wilderness Act lies within one mile of roads. Grazing, hunting, fishing, horseback riding, hiking, rafting -- wilderness allows for them all, and wilderness legislation recognizes pre-existing property rights as well, Trimble said. The vast majority of Utah's significant energy reserves lie outside the boundaries of proposed wilderness. Tens of thousands of
miles of off-road-vehicle routs remain accessible outside proposed wilderness.

"Our beliefs might differ," Brigham Young University humanities professor George Handley said, "but our values harmonize on this essential point: Wilderness teaches us humility, wonder, respect and gratitude for the creator."

Noel addressed many of his comments to Handley, whom he recognized as being a member of "his faith" (the LDS Church) and even addressed the BYU professor once as "brother."

The southern Utah rancher strenuously defended a protest ride by off-roaders through the Paria River bed, off-limits to such motorized use and a move Handley condemned as "desecration."

"Every winter this river has huge floods, wiping out everything in sight," Noel said. "Driving four-wheelers through the riverbed has no more impact than God does."

For his part, Handley said he wished legislators would use the language of "stewardship" when they discuss wilderness, rather than development.

"It would be healing," he said, "if we could hear that vocabulary."

Though she disagreed with Noel's perspective and conclusions, Elaine Emmi of Salt Lake Society of Friends (Quakers) said she applauded his willingness to engage on these crucial topics.

"That's what we want," Emmi said. "Dialogue is what we're after."

pstack@sltrib.com
Dave

Quote:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:23 pm

iaccocca wrote:
Clifton Retterer
xxxx Wxxth AVE
KENNEWICK, WA 99337-XXXX
October 1, 2009

The Honorable Maria Cantwell
511 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Re: Protect more than 9 million acres from OHV restrictions
Dear Senator Cantwell:
As a constituent and concerned motorized outdoor recreationist, I am writing to ask you to oppose S.799, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. S.799 will designate more than nine million additional acres as Wilderness and unnecessarily close access to responsible recreation at the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock off-highway vehicle areas (to name a few) in Utah.
The closure of these trails will be devastating to many friends and families who recreate together responsibly.
We cannot afford to close any more trails without providing alternative OHV opportunities. Again, I ask that you oppose S.799.
Thank you for your time and consideration of this important issue.
Sincerely, Clifton L. Retterer

(I also sent a similar email to Doc, becuase he is on the house committee reviewing this.)

Here is the response I received today:

Dear Mr. Retterer,

Thank you for contacting me about designating the Red Rock area of Utah as a wilderness area. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter and sincerely regret the delayed response.

As you know, on April 2, 2009, Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) introduced the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act (S. 799). If enacted, this bill would designate as wilderness certain federal portions of the red rock canyons of the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin Deserts in Utah for the benefit of present and future generations of people in the United States. I am a cosponsor of this legislation, which is currently awaiting action before the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.

These lands include steep slick rock canyons, high cliffs, important archeological sites, and habitats for rare plant and animal species. Wilderness designation of this area is necessary to ensure that this area is preserved for future generations. Without this designation, the Red Rock area could be mined for coal, an activity that would scar this beautiful landscape.

Again, thank you for contacting me about the Red Rock Wilderness Act. As our population continues to grow, it is crucial that we protect rare wilderness lands like the Red Rock area. I am committed to the preservation of this unique landscape and believe the Red Rock Wilderness Act is the best way to ensure this open space remains for future generations. You may also be interested in signing up for periodic updates for Washington State residents. If you are interested in subscribing to this update, please visit my website at http://cantwell.senate.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm impress, you actually got something back from Cantwell.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Just shows she ain't gonna listen. Baught and paid for by the "dark side". She and Murray were the big push behind Wild Sky. And it doesn't seem to matter to these culls that the entire Utah congressional delegation is against this land grab...
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:11 am

Red Rock is being pushed by SUWA in Aspen!

That dust on the snow around Aspen is bad, researchers say

Carolyn Sackariason
The Aspen Times
Aspen, CO

Carolyn Sackariason/The Aspen TimesCorrection: There were errors in the original version of this story, which appears below. While oil and gas development and off-road activities are sources of the dust, they are not the only ones. And those soil-destabilizing activities occur on the Colorado Plateau, which includes parts of Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Colorado Senators Mark Udall and Michael Bennet are co-sponsors of America's Red Rock Wilderness Act. The Bureau of Land Management doesn't have any protected wilderness in Southeast Utah.

ASPEN — The red dust blanketing area mountains and virtually every surface in Aspen is a result of oil and gas development and off-road vehicle activity in southeastern Utah, according to David Garbett, staff attorney with Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance.

He informed the Aspen City Council on Monday of the effects the dust has on the community.

The snow stained by dust melts faster because it absorbs more solar energy, which affects the snowpack in Aspen and surrounding areas.

Garbett said that in 2005 and 2006, dusty snow melted 18 to 35 days earlier in Colorado's San Juan Mountains. Last year, dust-covered snow melted 48 days earlier in the same area, he added.

“Dustier snow has a larger impact than temperatures,â€
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:37 pm

SUWA Files (yet another) Petition to Eliminate OHV use in UtahMarch 17th, 2011

BlueRibbon Coalition Land Use Update
SUWA Files (yet another) Petition to Eliminate OHV use in Utah

Dear BRC Members and Supporters,

The uber-radical folks over at the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA) are now petitioning the Department of the Interior to lock you out of Utah's scenic Red Rock country.

I know.... you're probably saying, "another petition?"

Recently, the Bureau of Land Management closed nearly 50% of the existing roads and trails in the Moab and Monticello field offices. We know that no amount of closures will satisfy these radicals.

SUWA has upped the anti, and now is claiming that NO amount of OHV use is sustainable

SUWA Files Petition to Protect Greater Canyonlands
http://www.suwa.org/site/PageServer?pag ... dspetition

... the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance has made a formal request to the Secretary of the Interior under the Administrative Procedure Act and the U.S. Constitution -- requesting that Secretary Salazar bar off-road vehicle ("ORV") use on 1,050 miles of ORV route in sensitive habitat, in streams, wetlands, riparian areas, archaeological sites and other vulnerable areas until it can conduct further studies on the impacts of the activity and determine whether it is, in fact, a sustainable use.

BRC will be working with other Utah and national OHV groups to battle this and the other threats. We are already involved in a lawsuit that SUWA has filed against the BLM in Utah (see links below). I think it is very safe to say this isn't the last you will hear about this!

If you are interested in helping defend OHV use in Utah, one thing you can do today is to place a quick call to your U.S. Representatives and ask them to help oppose SUWA's plans. Simply click HERE and enter your zip code to find the contact information.

You may also want to support the Utah Shared Access Alliance (USA-ALL). They are at the proverbial "tip of the spear" in Utah and are doing good work.

As always, please call or email if you have any questions or need additional information.

Thanks in advance for your support!
Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Policy Director
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102

More information on SUWA's attack on OHV use in Utah:

SUWA Amends Lawsuit in Attempt to Close Roads and Trails
http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/?alert=1002

Recreational Groups File to Enter Utah Desert Lawsuit
http://www.sharetrails.org/releases/?fi ... &story=640

SUWA Lawsuit Background and Q&A
http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/UTAH/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave

Quote:

Withidlehands

Postby Withidlehands » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:03 pm

This is just ridiculous. I don't really understand why Utah is going to allow them to keep cutting off probably the only real tourism a lot of Utah sees. Or am I not reading this correctly?

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:08 am

They're trying to do an end run on the system. You're not going to find too many folks in Utah that want this. The Utah congressional delegation isn't in favor of any of it, either. If you get to looking at SUWA, most of the members live out of state. Figures, huh?
Dave

Quote:

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:32 am

How does that song go??

"This land is MY land, this land is MY land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for ME and ME."

I think they have too much time on their hands. Must be running out of stuff to put in their juice machines. :evil:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Well, been a while since we had much here, but I thought this was interesting. The following link is a list of companies that want OHV tossed out of Canyonlands. Couple on here we all know:

http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/attachmen ... 1353096736
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Urge your Members to Oppose Efforts to Lock Up Enormous Tracts of Public Lands

Earlier this week non-motorized recreation groups joined a number of Utah businesses on a letter to President Obama urging him to designate 1.4 million acres of public lands in Utah as a National Monument. The letter stated, ?Federal land use plans inappropriately open scenic and undeveloped land to drilling and mining and fail to address exploding off-road vehicle use that is damaging riparian areas, cultural sites, soils and solitude? (emphasis added). Of course the letter fails to note that a recent management plan was put in place for the area that is supported by local governments and limits motorized and non-motorized activities to routes that have been subject to environmental analysis and public involvement. Further, the letter from non-motorized organizations cites an economic impact study that shows ?that outdoor recreation is ?an overlooked economic giant,? generating $646 billion in national sales and services in 2011 and supporting 6.1 million jobs...? Again, they are telling only part of the story. The same study shows that approximately $257 billion or nearly 40% of the total $646 billion in economic impact is derived from motorized recreation. And, as you know, motorized recreation is far too often shut out of National Monument areas.

ARRA and our partners are pushing back. Click here to view a response letter signed by 14 national organizations representing responsible motorized recreation. This letter is a start, but we need your help to ensure that the President understands that effective land management is best achieved through deliberative local processes that engage all stakeholders ? not through Administrative fiat.

Please click the Take Action link to send an email to the President opposing this and other massive, inappropriate designations of National Monuments. It is important for motorized recreation enthusiasts all across the country to weigh in as today anti-access organizations have targeted Utah, but tomorrow it may be your state.

http://www.arra-access.com/site/R?i=..._hSBhiAVkxgHcA

Found Here:
http://thoseguysoffroad.com/tgorforu...ic,1616.0.html
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Best read I've had in a long time! Just skewers SUWA:

http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/2011 ... n-jackson/
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:18 am

Really? Now you want to talk?!?!

December 20, 2012

Governor Gary Herbert
Utah State Capitol Complex
350 North State Street, Suite 200
PO Box 142220
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-2220

Dear Governor Herbert,

In a Nov. 14, 2012 letter to President Obama, Utah delegation members Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike
Lee, and Reps. Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz called for a public process to discuss the future of
Greater Canyonlands, an area world renowned for its wildness and majesty.
As you know, the delegation’s suggestion came in response to another letter from outdoor industry
leaders asking President Obama to designate Greater Canyonlands a national monument. The outdoor
industry in Utah deserves credit for its leadership on this issue and has our thanks for speaking out with
such clarity.
We support the call for executive action to protect Greater Canyonlands. And like those members of the
Utah delegation, we also support the creation of a transparent, fair, public process to achieve this. Such
a process is something your office should encourage.
An open process must include public hearings along the Wasatch Front and in communities closest to
Greater Canyonlands and must also welcome input from all Americans, whose stake in this landscape
is equal to that of Utahns. It must invite meaningful input from the general public and all stakeholders,
including conservationists, scientists, tribal interests, recreationists and the business and development
community. It must include an experienced, credible and neutral facilitator. If conducted properly in this
manner, such a process could lead to a successful legislative or executive solution balancing the needs
of conservation, the outdoor recreation economy and other interests.
So interested are we in such a process that our groups requested a public comment opportunity from
the Bureau of Land Management more than a year ago to address management issues for the Greater
Canyonlands Region following a petition by the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance concerning routes in
Greater Canyonlands. Our concern for this area stemmed from arbitrary and unmanageable boundaries
for Canyonlands National Park, which place the National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management
and Forest Service at odds managing different pieces of one connected landscape. The region contains
important ecosystems, significant wildlife populations and world-class archeological sites that all
deserve a more thoughtful approach to their protections.
Deciding how to best manage and protect Greater Canyonlands requires consideration for tribal access
to sites, conservation designations, recreation priorities, certainty for the energy industry, state trust
land exchange and RS 2477 claim resolution, among many other complex issues. This is not an impossible
task, but it will require leadership on your part to build a fair process that invites the input of the
general public.
We stand ready to work with you and we will follow up this letter with a request to meet with you personally
to begin creating such a process to discuss the future of Greater Canyonlands.

Signed,
Scott Groene
Executive Director
Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance

Bill Hedden
Executive Director
Grand Canyon Trust

Veronica Egan
Executive Director
Great Old Broads for Wilderness

Bobby McEnaney
Senior Policy Analyst
Natural Resources Defense Council

Debbie Sease
National Campaign Director
Sierra Club

cc: Sen. Orrin Hatch
Sen. Mike Lee
Rep. Rob Bishop
Rep. Jason Chaffetz
Rep. Jim Matheson
Chairwoman Nancy Sutley
Secretary Ken Salazar
Dave

Quote:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:30 am

The crazy thing is that letter makes absolute sense. Balanced priorities. . .very interesting. They must think that they will have a public bias when it comes the hearings. What's really strange is that the letter puts higher value on public opinion than on each org's specific agenda.

Would we do that?

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”