Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

DNR Update

Postby Grumpy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:34 am

November 30, 2009

Hi, folks:

It’s been a month since I last touched base with you. I thought I’d give you an update on what’s been going on with DNR’s Recreation Program.

Snowmobiling update

First, a special thanks to Carl Denton and the Yakima Ski Benders for raising $25,000 to make sure five snow parks stay open this winter on DNR-managed lands. Earlier this fall, we announced that we would need to close these areas because of budget cuts. Positive and proactive efforts like this help keep access to Washington’s great outdoors open to the public.

We are in the process of signing a master license agreement with Washington State Parks for all the winter recreation activities that occur on DNR-managed lands. This is a first and will eliminate the need for each snowmobile club to obtain separate permissions from DNR to groom, plow, or have a snow park on DNR-managed lands. This master agreement will also eliminate the need for DNR to process multiple agreements and recording and tracking each agreement by State Parks.

Volunteer training

Christine Redmond, DNR’s volunteer program coordinator, has held several volunteer trainings this fall and will be scheduling several more across the state in the coming months; so stay tuned. Topics addressed at trainings include first aid; safe lifting; personal safety; back roads driving; securing loads; maintenance standards; cultural resources; outdoor recreation ethics; information on the updated recreation rules; and tool use, safety and maintenance.

If your organization or club is interested in hosting a volunteer training, contact Christine and she can put you in touch with the appropriate DNR staff in the regions. Christine can be reached at 360-902-1632 or christine@redmond@dnr.wa.gov.

Forest watch program

The Recreation Program has also launched a “forest watchâ€
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

tobyw

Re: DNR Update

Postby tobyw » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:45 am

Grumpy wrote:Yakima Ski Benders for raising $25,000 to make sure five snow parks stay open this winter

:shock:

These guys can generate $25k for a single season of funding and we (meaning the NW off-road community, not PP in particular) don't even have a single fund raiser that I'm aware of? No wonder we are losing our play areas...
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:58 am

Danny and I were 'talking' about this the other day. They are organized, they hit up their vendors, etc. We should be learning from our friends the sledders.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”