forest map is required

Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

forest map is required

Postby iaccocca » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 pm

Starting as of July 17th a forest map is required - traveling on forest roads or trails not shown - CAN BE CITED - roads will no longer be signed in the field as to premissible uses; maps are free at Forest Services offices.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/news/2010/nr-FSRequiresVisitorsPossessNewMap-20100706.shtml

Thanks ORV Trail Watch for the heads up.
Last edited by iaccocca on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

sams88

Postby sams88 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:27 pm

That seems a little on the dense side for the state................ supposed to be a budget crises and now we are doing maps. ???? Just another way to write more tickets I spose.
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm
88 yota p/u

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:46 am

Actually from the way I understood it they are using maps instead of signage on the actual trails, with the maps showing only open trails.

Which in turn really means more confusion because the maps usually suck and are hard to read. It also means more people not knowingly traveling on closed trails because a) there is no signage and b) they don't have a map.

This was something that was discussed for the Okanogan/Wenatchee Forest also.

I would much rather see GOOD signage on the trails. Hell I would even volunteer to build them, install them and upkeep them. :?

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:52 am

US Forest Service
Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

Office: 425-783-6015

Forest Service Requires Visitors Possess New Map

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everett, Wash., July 6, 2010—Visitors driving onto the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest will need a map starting July 17 showing them what type of motor vehicle they can use and where they can use them. The maps are free at Forest Service offices. Roads will no longer be signed in the field as to permissible uses.

The map changes how the Forest Service will enforce road closures to motor vehicles on national forests. Those travelling on a forest road, area or trail not shown on the MVUM can be cited.

The map is a result of the 2005 National Travel Management Rule requiring each national forest to assess road systems to limit environmental damage caused by off-highway vehicles, such as jeeps, motorcycles and quads, and to create a uniform system of enforcement across the country. The rule does not apply to snowmobiles.

The entire 1,850 mile road system on the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest is open to state licensed, street legal vehicles. About 100 miles of forest trails are open to motorbikes and one area, Evans Creek, is open to other vehicles including quads.

The Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest did not make any changes or close roads to vehicles during this process. “We actually started several decades ago looking at motor vehicle use patterns and making decisions on the use of roads and trails based on public involvement,â€
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”