If This Doesn't Make You Angry...

Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

If This Doesn't Make You Angry...

Postby Grumpy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:35 am

Please take the time to watch this vid! I can't find the words to describe how this makes me feel...

http://vimeo.com/14696293

I don't think 20 minutes is too much time to learn just what we are dealing with. When you finish this, go back and reread the piece I posted on "Environmental Gravy". There IS an agenda, and it's not pretty...DW.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:37 am

I'll give you three guesses what happened to Columbia point about 25 years ago. . .

Plover stew anyone?

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:06 pm

On the North Spit of Coos Bay, where I grew up, it was the Snowy Plover...That started in the 70's with the Sierra Club in Eugene buying off the U.S Rep for the area, and trying to get a wilderness designation.
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:33 pm

I spent the 20 minutes to watch this. Slowly, ever so slowly we are losing the very rights we were born with. Amazingly it is the weird profusion of our rights that are being used against us to take our rights.

Does anybody know and realize that this is going on at our beaches and other areas right now. Certain sections of beach are closed during nesting season.

In King County they called it a Critical Area Ordinance. Sections of the ordinance have been thrown out. State laws require each county and city to draft such laws. It is part of the Growth Management law.

Seems the "Condo Cowboys" know more about me and my lifestyle than I do. And because I live my lifestyle rather than attend law hearings, that is used against me by passing and enforcing such dribble.

Merrick Graves
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:13 am

Monday, September 20, 2010
Cape Hatteras OHV Fight - Ck out Video of Battle

The Recreation HQ has long highlighted the onslaught of OHV closures because of anti-OHV agency agendas being driven by ideologues in government who are often aided by green lawsuits and a sympatric judiciary

The most recent example of plover-based beach closures is the fight to keep public motorized access on Cape Hatteras in North Carolina. Recently, BRC issued an alert on this issue with links to professional videos that include interviews with business owners and recreationists.

HQ has issued its first ever “General’s Award for Access Excellenceâ€
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:06 pm

S. 486 Passes Senate Energy and Natural Resources Vote

I am happy to report to you that on June 18, the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee passed S 486 "Preserving Access to Cape Hatteras Beaches Act."

We are indebted to North Carolina Senators' Richard Burr and Kay Hagan for the leadership they have shown by first introducing the original bill S 486 and then by the enormous effort they and their staffs have put forward to arrive at a compromise that was supported by the full committee yesterday. The Senators understand the access issues for those who live, work and visit the CHNSRA. The Senators have fought for and are continuing to fight for a solution to these issues that will provide a proper balance between resource protection and recreational use at the nation's first National Seashore Recreational Area.

As I indicated in my letter on June 15, the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, at the request of Chairman Ron Wyden deferred consideration of S. 486 at the May 16 meeting. Chairman Wyden referred to strong opposition from the National Park Service as the reason for removing the bill from the May markup. He stated that committee members would attempt to craft a compromise in "a bi-partisan and good faith effort to find a solution to this matter at Cape Hatteras." He also promised that the bill would be considered in the committee's June markup meeting.

We appreciate the leadership Chairman Wyden and ranking member Murkowski showed by initiating a bi-partisan process to reach a compromise that could be supported by the committee. We also appreciate the continuing support of this legislation by Senator Joe Manchin - West Virginia and Senator Mary Landrieu - Louisiana.

The bill that was passed out of committee on Tuesday does not accomplish everything for which we hoped in the original legislation. However, we believe it is an important step in the right direction to restore and preserve visitor access to the beaches within CHNSRA.

We are now hopeful that the bill will soon be scheduled for debate and vote on the full Senate floor.

You may read the text of the new bill at this link: "Copy of Amendment to S 486 approved by Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee"

A copy of Senator Burr's and Senator Hagan's joint press release follows.

Senators Burr, Hagan Applaud Committee Passage of Cape Hatteras Off-Road Vehicle Bill

Today, U.S. Senators Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Kay Hagan (D-N.C.) applauded the passage of S. 486, the Preserving Public Access to Cape Hatteras Beaches Act by the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.

"Today's compromise was a critical step forward in the effort to regain access to one of North Carolina's most scenic treasures," said Senator Burr. "Our work finally gives a voice to the people of North Carolina and all those who come to see its coast while still balancing the needs of the area's wildlife and addressing any potential environmental concerns. I appreciate the support of Chairman Wyden and the input from the people of Dare County in achieving this balance, and I am confident we have reached an agreement that can pass the full Senate and become law."

"This compromise represents a responsible step toward restoring balance between beach access and important environmental protections," said Senator Hagan. "Cape Hatteras National Seashore is critical to Dare County's economy, and I will continue to work with Senator Burr and members on both sides of the aisle to expedite passage of this bill into law."

"This is a giant step in the right direction for a practical solution that balances reasonable recreational access with resource protection," said Warren Judge, Chairman of the Dare County Commissioners. "The residents and visitors of Dare County have worked long and hard with their elected officials to champion this cause. We are grateful for the bipartisan leadership of Senator Burr and Senator Hagan for never giving up on something they knew to be right for the people who depend upon access to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area."

If enacted, this bill would set rules and parameters for the National Park Service to abide by when considering limiting access to beaches. These parameters direct the NPS to minimize buffers on protected areas and keep them in place for the shortest possible duration necessary, designate pedestrian and vehicle corridors around areas that are closed, coordinate with the State of North Carolina when establishing certain buffers, and allow for a public process when considering limiting access in special situations. The bill also directs the NPS to construct vehicle access points and roads as expeditiously as possible and report its progress to Congress within one year of the act becoming law.

---------------------------------------------------
Dave

Quote:

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”