WildlandsCPR has Washington on it's radar...

Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

WildlandsCPR has Washington on it's radar...

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:50 pm

Puget Sound Reflections
Created by Marlies Wierenga on January 31, 2012

For those of you not living in the Northwest, the Puget Sound, located in Western Washington, is an amazing saltwater estuarine system of waterways brimming with life (human and non-human). It’s tidally influenced by the Pacific Ocean and is fed freshwater from numerous streams and rivers flowing from the Olympic and Cascade Mountains. The total basin is over 12,000 square miles.

Puget Sound is vitally important to the geoducks (clams), orcas, sandpipers, salmon, and 3.5 million people who live there (or migrate through). Riding the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island on a surprise sunny winter day with snow-capped mountains in every direction gives the illusion that all is beautiful in the world. But looks can sometimes be deceiving. Last year, 4,000 acres of shellfish beds were downgraded in health status and harvesting from shellfish beds was closed for nearly 40 days. Pollution indicators, such as these, is why Washington’s Governor and Legislature created the Puget Sound Partnership – to not only figure out how the Sound is being polluted but to also fix the problems through an Action Agenda.

And this is where we circle back to roads and Forest Service lands. The Forest Service manages a lot of the land associated with the snow-capped mountains seen from the ferry. Over 60% of the land in the basin is forested – much of it public lands. The forested streams are a source of drinking water for millions of people and are a source of cool and clear water to the Sound. Salmonids pass through the urban gauntlet to travel up these streams to spawn and rear. Yet roads continue to fall apart and pour excess sediment into these critical headwaters.

The Puget Sound Partnership, however, can help. In Section C4 of the latest draft Action Agenda, surface runoff from forested lands is recognized as one of the key sources of pollution to the Sound. This section briefly describes the progress made to date by highlighting accomplishments achieved from the Legacy Roads and Trails Remediation Program and describes the national requirements for rightsizing the road system by 2015. Challenges are briefly described including the following:

“With 2010 marking the greatest commitment of [LRT] funding in a decade, it appears that Congress will have to substantially increase funding in order to ensure road systems on federal lands do not contribute to poor water quality for salmon and people in the Puget Sound Basin.â€
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 am

What I been saying..... :nonnon chip, chip, chipping away!
Forget your age and live your life!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:03 am

They will have to prove a direct coloration between wilderness road USE and water quality. I think it is pretty f'ing ironic that they talk about the view from the ferry. The ferry system probably does more harm to water quality than all the roads in the forest. . .

They don't even know how to slam on something correctly.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 am

Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

kenny24

Postby kenny24 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Lets start by suggesting that they began by shutting down and stopping all waterway and Ocean Vessels. Next close down and tearing down all port facilities and factories (works for the dams on the rivers). Next, lets see..kick everyone out of the cities and tear them and all the roadways down and return all that land back to its natural state..on and on and on..should we just go back to living in caves and walking every where. May be extreme but they will always look for the easy way to point the finger and we are it. :twisted: Sorry, uncontrolled out burst :shock: I have been in agriculture all my life and we are also in a fight with the so called enviromental (spelled that way on purpose) and as they shut down more of our resources we see more exports that use the very same products that have been banned for years. And these countries have no regard for the environment.....They say we are killing the salmon while in fact we are doing more to protect them then anyone. Oops there I go again... :x This in fact has nothing to do with the environment and more to do with how make money. It will cost us dearly in the end. :!:
Kenny
97 ZJ
No honey, I brought it back in one piece..where did all that sand come from?

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Read this. Youll really have some fodder for a rant:

http://www.peakputters.com/forum/viewto ... viro+gravy
Dave

Quote:

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Just another reason this country is going broke. The policeticions just don't get it!!!
Forget your age and live your life!

kenny24

Postby kenny24 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks Dave, that just makes me feel better. Glad that I was aware of this because this info would have sent me right off the edge :bobo . All of this and all I wanted to do was get in my little Jeep, be in my own little world, and share that with my family and friends. Nice thought, but hey we do live in a free country...or do we :cry: Oh that's right, discovery pass $30 x number of rigs, Oregon & Washington National parks pass $30, Fishing license $30 x # of people fishing (don't forget your access pass), vehicle tabs and license, ect,ect......better sign up of government assistance to pay for all that freedom..lol
Gonna go back to watching my Nascar at Daytona now..go Jeff Gordon :D
Kenny

97 ZJ

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Uh, you need some help there, Sparky. Biffle and Edwards 8)
Dave

Quote:

kenny24

Postby kenny24 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Just glad I wasn't riding with Danica..that was a hard hit. Oh and no help needed except a bigger trophy case for all those championships.... 8)
Kenny

97 ZJ

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”