Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Comments from Doc on Forest Service "Management"

Postby Grumpy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am

Weekly Message from Doc

Active Forest Management Needed to Prevent Catastrophic Wildfires, Protect Central Washington Communities

Washington, Nov 2 - Each year, wildfires in our nation’s federal forests damage or destroy an average of 3.7 million acres across the United States. Right here in Central Washington, more than a dozen fires over the past three months have ravaged over 120,000 acres. The Table Mountain Fire and the Wenatchee Complex Fire alone, both in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, damaged almost 100,000 acres.

These fires have devastated communities and destroyed hundreds of homes and farms. They have also destroyed the very habitat that the federal government has mandated is necessary to protect endangered species.

Unfortunately, poor federal management of millions of acres of forests is making the situation worse. The best way to keep our forests healthy and help reduce the risk of catastrophic wildfires is through active and responsible management of our federal forests.

Earlier this year, at a House Natural Resources Committee hearing that I chaired, a senior official of the Forest Service testified that 65 million acres of Forest Service lands are at “high risk of wildfire.â€
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”