Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Another Omnibus Land Bill??

Postby Grumpy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:35 am

Omnibus Federal Lands Bill Immanent?
by sagebrushcoalition on December 29, 2012

I was just forwarded this information from someone on the ALRA mailing list, I haven’t been able to find any information on this bill beyond what the letter says yet. I’ll post updates here if I find more information.

Harry Reid has loaded multiple bills into a new Omnibus Federal Lands Bill

By CHUCK CUSHMAN
American Lands Rights Association

We only know a few of the bills included but it is huge:
It does include the Tester Montana wilderness bill
It does make the Valles Caldera in New Mexico a national park
It does include the Sealaska bill
It does include much more
Reid is trying buy the vote of Senator Murkowski by including the Sealaska bill. She has promised not to support Omnibus bills. So we’ll see how she votes in this bill.

Expansion of the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) could be in there. That would mean billions of dollars for land acquisition.

The various staff people are working with Reid now to see if they can run the bill through the Senate before new years.

Action Items – Urgent Action Required

Your Senator can stop this bill. All he has to do is file an object or put a hold on the bill. Time will run on Jan. 1.

You must call both your Senators every business day now until Jan. 1. Ask for a commitment to oppose any Omnibus Federal Lands Bill.

This is urgent and critical.

You may call any Senator at (202) 224-3121. That is the Capital Switchboard. Ask for your Senator’s office. Then ask for the staff person who handles Federal lands. They may be working over the weekend so call Saturday and Sunday also.

Ask for a promise by your senator that he or she will place a hold on the new Omnibus Federal Lands Bill.

This is really the start of a massive Obama Reid Federal lands grab with National Monuments and a whole bunch of other lock ups.

If you are going to have credibility fighting the huge Obama Reid Federal land grab plan that is coming at you, you need to call your Senator now every day until Tuesday. Call Friday. Call Monday. You can even try over the weekend. Many staff will be working. But you must rise up and take action. This is especially true in Alaska.

While they’re working on the Fiscal Cliff, a lot of bad things can happen when Congress is in session and not paying attention to your issues.

The lame duck congress is when all kinds of bad bills slip through Congress because your Senators and Congressman may no longer be responsible to you.

Background

You must call your Congressman and both Senators to urge them to oppose ANY Omnibus Federal Lands bill.

That’s where Harry Reid gives every Senator a bill or two he wants passed that did not pass during the year. The understanding is that the Senator will then look the other way and ignore other parts of the massive Omnibus Federal Lands Bill … even if they hurt you and your community.

In 2010 Harry Reid tried to pass Omnibus Federal Lands Bill with over 200 bills in it. Fortunately you fought and defeated it.

Now that the election is passed, American Land Rights has turned our attention to defeating the likely Omnibus Federal Lands Bill and the EPA Corps of Engineers land and water grab in the lame duck Congress.

Here’s a reminder list of some of the land grab threats the Obama Administration, Senator Harry Reid and other members of Congress have planned for you:
New National Monuments;
New Wilderness study areas;
Wild Lands land grab;
Treasured Landscapes Initiative;
America’s Great Outdoors Campaign;
New BLM Land Use Planning/Wilderness expansion; and
Eminent domain and Condemnation.
Urgent Action Items
Please tape a copy of this message to your refrigerator door.
Please send this message to at least 10 other people.
Call both your Senators at (202) 224-3121. Urge them to put a hold on any Omnibus Federal lands bill. Ask for a commitment.
Thank you for your support and efforts in 2012. We’re looking forward to working with you in 2013.

Chuck Cushman is the founder of the American Land Rights Association. He can be reached at (360) 687-3087 or by email at: ccushman@pacifier.com

Land Rights Network
American Land Rights Association
PO Box 400 – Battle Ground, WA 98604
Phone: 360-687-3087 – Fax: 360-687-2973
E-mail: alra@pacifier.com
Web Address: http://www.landrights.org/
Legislative Office: 507 Seward Square SE – Washington, DC 20003
gcmapsmall
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:56 pm

From Hastings' office:

Dave – I checked with the committee counsel on Doc’s Resources committee, and this is the response I got:

“No omnibus has passed the Senate, and none will pass the House.â€
Dave

Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon80

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”