Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

My thoughts to Tom Vilsack

Postby Grumpy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Secretary Vilsack;

I am going to be blunt here. The USFS, as far as myself and a lot of other folks are concerned, has become nothing more that the tool used by the "environmental" movement to carry out it's closure agenda. These people care not about the affect their actions have on us out here in the real world, and neither, it seems, does your staff!

There have been too many instances of FS staff shutting down a person who isn't telling them what they want to hear, either by insults or ignoring their request to speak. One of the most recent, and one that is completely inexcusable, is Plumas NF Supervisor Earl Ford telling one speaker at a meeting in Quincy, CA, that "I don't Work For you". Then just who the hell do you work for?! Then there was the Six Rivers Supervisor who wants "my forest to be a quiet forest". I got news for that gal, Tom. It ain't her forest, it's the taxpayer's forest.

No points are being made by the FS, at least not to any great mention. When I worked for the FS years ago, they were an active part of the community. No more. Your revolving door staff movements don't allow for that. No one stays long enough to get to know what the needs in an area are!

And I'm also getting real tired of my chosen form of recreation taking it the shorts every time your staff and the greens get the chance to poke us! Responsible motorized activities are as much a part of the real world as anything else! We are the ones who do a large amount of the trail work on our forests. Why? Because we have the skills and the equipment to do it! And we want to sustain what we do into the future. My family is now into it's third generation of OHV recreation, with a fourth on the way! I want to teach my Grandkids to be good stewards, and keep the hobby going, but at the rate things are going, my wheeling rig is going to become a yard ornament. And that really annoys me!

So, sir, I thinks it's about time you reined in your minions, and took a good look at how you're doing business! Time to get back to being a participant in the community instead of an outsider forcing an agenda. We're a pretty sharp bunch out here, and it might just surprise you what we can do when allowed! Give it a try and see what happens.

Respectfully,

Dave Walters
Kennewick, Washington
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Very nice letter Grumpy, I just hope 'Ol Tom doesn't check on your yard ornament...😜
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:20 pm

So, who's willing to bet there's no response :roll:
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:09 am

Well now, an actual "response". Not sure they read what I wrote...

Dear Mr. Walters:

Thank you for your email of November 29, 2014, to Agriculture Secretary Thomas J. Vilsack, regarding responsible motorized recreational activities on National Forest System (NFS) lands. Secretary Vilsack has asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Forest Service to respond. I apologize for the delayed response.

Consistent with Executive Orders 11644 and 11989, USDA revised the regulations regarding travel management on NFS lands to clarify policy regarding motorized vehicle use, including the use of off-highway vehicles, stating clear identification of roads, trails, and areas for motor vehicle use. The revised regulations will enhance management of NFS lands, sustain natural resource values through more effective management of motor vehicle use, improve opportunities for motorized recreation experiences, address needs for access, and preserve areas of opportunity for non-motorized travel and experiences.

Off-highway vehicle use is a legitimate use of NFS lands. But the Forest Service, as you are aware, is a multiple use Agency, which means we must weigh all legitimate uses with associated impacts for all users. Not all activities are appropriate on every acre of NFS land.

Throughout the travel management process, the Forest Service has engaged the public by holding public meetings asking for comments on all proposed actions and weighing all responses. These meetings allow many diverse views and opinions. Decisions for National Forests are made at the local unit. We encourage you to stay engaged and express your concerns.

Again, thank you for writing to Secretary Vilsack and for your interest in the management of the National Forests. If you need any further assistance, please contact Ms. Robin Rose, Recreation Program Manager on the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, at (360) 891-5177, or rgrose@fs.fed.us.

Sincerely,

/s/ Nancy Robin Morgan (for)

JOE L. MEADE

Director of Recreation, Heritage, and Volunteer Resources
Dave

Quote:

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Looks canned with some copy and paste...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Yup, boiler plate...Gonna nail 'em later after I see the Doc about what's up with my back.
Dave

Quote:

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”