Some thoughts from another source...

Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Some thoughts from another source...

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:40 am

I thought I would share a friend of mines thoughts on being involved with land use issues. There are many opportunities to make a difference the Forest Service Motorized Use plan, The Nature Conservancy and Teanaway community Forest to name a few.
"I have said this before and expect that most people do not want to hear it, even so it needs to be repeated until the motorized trail community and the business folks who make all or part of their living from our recreation finally get the message and take action. What most do, if anything is to send out a notice about a problem or some suggested statements. But most, about 98% is my guess, do absolutely nothing. If we think motorcycle trail riding actually is worth saving we have to learn to contact other riders on a one to one basis and twist arms, take them by the hand and not quit until we achieve massive responses to land use problems.........to the point we generate serious political pain for both elected officials and bureaucrats and get the facilities we need.
On the same message we have to recruit and develop leaders and followers who get motivated or get ticked off to the point they get things done and recruit others. Think we have to become aggressively, personally critical, up close. Have done that and it is never easy to tell someone you know and maybe ride with that they are freeloaders who are the real problem if they won’t pitch in. Much prefer the soft touch, unfortunately that far too often does not work. I have done this first hand and know how hard it is.
Suggest it takes a small group of the dedicated to start. Yes the dedicated are already doing far more than their share! Have never found an easy way. Still don’t understand how people will invest tens of thousands of dollars in bikes, pickups, RV’s and gear then completely avoid doing what it takes to secure quality places to ride and camp.
AS for dealers who do nothing to secure the success of their business...........Don’t have a clue."

JW
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Coulee Riders The eye opener for me was at a TCF meeting I was one of 2 motorized guys in a meeting with about 30 people who had no clue about motorized recreation making decisions and comments towards eliminating motorized recreation in a public forest. Most had never set foot in the Teanaway had no clue of motorized recreation and made false comments or comments based on hearsay or isolated 30 year old incidents. These people are from organized groups and not only want to keep us from recreating in the Teanaway but also beloved forest service trails and any land adjacent to the Teanaway. These same groups and individuals show up and respond in opposition to many other motorized causes. If we're not united to defend our forms of recreation they will be gone.
Dave

Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon80

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”