Ok-Wen Draft EA for Motorized Travel

Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Ok-Wen Draft EA for Motorized Travel

Postby Grumpy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:36 am

I am pleased to announce the completion of the Draft Environmental Assessment (EA) for Motorized Travel Management. The Preferred Alternative designates the existing system of motorized roads and trails as open, closes the Forest to motorized cross country (off-road) travel (except for the Moon Rocks and Funny Rocks Areas), provides for roadside parking and motorized access to dispersed camping in designated corridors and permits the operation of Washington State Licensed ATVs on 350 miles of designated open system roads.

Thank you for your patience throughout this process. Many of you have spent the last decade working with us, participating in meetings and providing information about access routes on the Forest. The extensive input and analysis collected during that time will be used to craft future local decisions.

In 2015, we scoped a proposed action to look specifically at adopting our existing system of motorized roads and trails, with the idea that any future changes to the system will need site specific analysis and should occur at the local level.

This letter serves as notification of the availability of the Draft Environmental Assessment and associated maps on our website at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=46467. The Draft Environmental Assessment for Motorized Travel Management on the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest is now available for a 30 day comment period.

The opportunity to comment on this project ends 30 days following publication of the June 8, 2016 legal advertisement in the Wenatchee World, newspaper of record. Only those who submit timely and specific written comments regarding the proposed project or activity during a public comment period established by the responsible official are eligible to file an objection pursuant to 36 CFR 218. To establish eligibility to object, each individual or entity submitting timely specific comments must either sign the comments or verify identity upon request.

The following Open Houses are planned to answer questions about the Draft Environmental Assessment and the process for commenting. Each open house will last from 5:00 pm until 6:30 pm.

* Yakima Valley Museum Yakima, WA on June 20

* Mercer Island Community Center Mercer Island, WA on June 21

* Kittitas County Event Center in Ellensburg, WA on June 22

* Apple Annies in Cashmere, WA on June 23

* Okanogan PUD, in Okanogan, WA building on June 24

How to Comment and Timeframe: Written, specific comments must be submitted to Mike Williams, Forest Supervisor, c/o Jennifer Zbyszewski, 24 West Chewuch Road, Winthrop, WA 98862; Fax (509) 996-2208. Hand deliveries must be made between 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays at the street address above. Please submit electronic comments via https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/P ... mmentInput…. In cases where no identifiable name is attached to a comment, a verification of identity will be required for objection eligibility.

Individuals and entities who submit specific written comments regarding the proposed project will be eligible to object. Issues raised in objections must be based on previously submitted specific comments to the proposed project or activity unless the objection concerns an issue that arose after the opportunities for comment. Comments received during this review period for the Environmental Assessment (EA) will be considered, and a revised EA (if necessary) and draft Decision Notice will be released for a 45 day review and objection period.

It is the responsibility of all individuals and organizations providing comments to submit them by the close of the comment period and ensure that they have been received. Individuals and organizations wishing to be eligible to object must meet the information requirements of 36 CFR 218. Electronic comments submitted other than described above or containing viruses will be rejected
Please be aware that all comments, names, addresses, and phone numbers become part of the project record and are subject to release if a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request is received.

If you wish to review the project file or obtain additional information on the project, please contact Jennifer Zbyszewski at (509) 996-4021.

Thank you for your continued involvement in caring for your National Forest System lands.

Sincerely,

Mike Williams, Forest Supervisor
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Grumpy

Re: Ok-Wen Draft EA for Motorized Travel

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:51 am

Jennifer,

On behalf of the recreation community in the Tri Cities, I would like to ask why a meeting has not been scheduled down here. There's a large number here that recreate on the O-W NF, but may not be able to attend the meetings as now scheduled. As precedent, I'd like to cite the Blue Mountains Forests. Even though we are not that close to their area, the team had two meetings here in Kennewick during the process to get input. Those gatherings were very well attended, and I believe meetings for your project would be just as well attended.

Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Dave Walters
Tri Cities Peak Putters
Land Use Coordinator
Kennewick, WA
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:33 pm

Comments on 6-20-16 Yakima meeting from Shane Fuller of WOHVA:

Soooo….here’s a quick take on what I learned from the meeting last night....

Before I go into all of that, let me say that the credit should go to Febus, JayW, Atkins & Ron Rutherford as well as a few others. These guys are on top of the issues already and new the questions to ask and things to address ahead of time instead of waiting until meeting time to figure it all out. This allowed everyone to really get some good information on the plan quickly. Hopefully one of them will chime in if I have any of this wrong….

Basically the plan breaks down into four possible alternatives. A-D I’ll start with my preferences first and then work backwards. Keep in mind my opinions are based almost entirely on the Naches Ranger District since it is the one that I’m most familiar with.

Plan/Alternative A leaves everything the way it is now. Nothing changes. Don’t get to excited though, Alternative A cannot and will not happen. Put it out of your mind. I’m always up for a fight, but sometimes you have to know when to move on.

Alternative D This plan leaves the most miles of motorized roads open to the public (more specifics later.) It lists all of the roads/trails as designated corridors. This means that dispersed camping WILL be allowed along all of these routes (camping in places other than the fee areas.) This alternative also gives us back the ATV routes on level 1 roads in the Little Naches that were implemented (and then pulled) last year….or at least until the Bird Huggers sue. One bad thing about this plan, and I haven’t had time to find out if it’s true, is that it offers no trail/road maintenance. When something washes out, it stays closed forever. Like I said though, I don’t know if that’s true. I need to do a little more research, or if someone has the answer please chime in. If it IS true, then I’m not supporting this alternative. If it IS NOT true, then this the one that I’ll support in my comments.

Alternative B This is the alternative that the Forest Service is pushing. It is a reasonable compromise between the motorized users and the Bunny Huggers. It closes NO numbered trails, only some mileage of old spur/logging roads in the Naches District (More details on the later) From what I saw, none of which cut of access to any of our trails, at least in the Naches Ranger Dist. Like Alt D, this also gives back the ATV routes from last year until somebody sues to close them. At the moment I have two main problems with this plan (beside a few road closures.) Problem 1. There are at least two numbered trails in the Rimrock Area that aren’t on the TMP maps. I need to verify the numbers when I get to a map, but it’s the tail end of 615 where it forks, Southwest of Narrowneck, and heads down to towards Klickitat or toward the gate on the old Layman Highway (1070) We’re told by Kelly Lawrence that it’s just a misprint, an honest mistake. I’m inclined to believe her since they’ve always been horrible at things like this, but it’s imperative that they get back on the approved map. Ron Rutherford is spearheading this and will keep us all in the loop. Problem 2. Both the Little Naches Road and Bumping Lake Rd are NOT designated corridors. This means all of those nice camping spots (that are more than a 100ft from water) in there are no longer going to be allowed. This will just force more people into the same areas. No good can come from that. More use, more damage, more garbage etc… We go to the mountains to get away from people, not to jamb into the same little campground as all of them.
This is the plan, in my opinion, that is most likely to get approved regardless of comments. At the moment, I’m not necessarily for OR against it. I need a little more info.

Alternative C Don’t bother. Sell your toys and by yourself some hiking boots and a cope of “A Bird Watchers Guide to the Northwest.”

Regardless of which plan you decide to support there are a few key points, in my opinion, that you need to address in your statement in addition to the ones I’ve already touched on.

1. ALL forest service roads must be open to ATV’s
2. We need accountability on a trail maintenance plan. Ex. If a trail/road washes out, what plan & Funds are in place to repair it. There’s some specific wording that a few people are working on regarding this that will better explain to them what we expect. I’ll let you know when I have it.
3. Your comments need to focus on facts as to why your opinions will create less resource damage, and more economy for the surrounding areas. Don’t bother with what your rights are. Money talks, bullshit walks.

I’ll keep you guys posted on what I find out and end up deciding, but hopefully the rest of the guys will chime in with their opinions. Sorry this got so long winded.
Dave

Quote:

Jay W

Postby Jay W » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:31 pm

I'll post here my reply to Phantom on the Off-Camber.com thread.

Great summary Phantom. Everyone should get behind one of the plans and submit your comments to such online before July 8th. My pie in the sky outlook is that is what they will base their plan choice on and then implement. Obviously we will be choosing the least closures and most access but we all need to realize the bunny huggers are all commenting the opposite. Lets face it, they like doing this political crap more that we do so we need all the help we can get.
The link to submit comments is in the first post.

Jay W

Postby Jay W » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:22 pm

DNR may have just sunk the whole thing. Waiting for reactions...

https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/P ... T3_3109284
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm

The Muckleshoot Tribe has weighed in:

https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/P ... T3_3109907
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:49 pm

And, for better or worse, there's this one:

https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/P ... ject=46467
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:04 am

Jerry Smith from UFWDA is working on comments now.
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:37 am

Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:56 pm

Formal request for extension of comment period, and a meeting in Tri Cities, has been tendered. Ain't gonna happen, but I feel better :|
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:22 pm

July 7, 2016

Submitted electronically via
https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/P ... ject=46467

Mike Williams, Forest Supervisor
Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest
215 Melody Lane
Wenatchee, Washington 98801.

RE: Comments on Draft Environmental Impact Statement for Motorized Travel Management

Dear Travel Management Team:

These comments are submitted on behalf of the BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC), a national non-profit trail-based recreation group, and are directed to the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest’s Draft Environmental Assessment (Draft EA) for Motorized Travel Management. This document shall not supplant the rights of other BRC agents and organizational or individual members from submitting their own comments and the agency should consider and appropriately respond to all comments received to the Draft EA.

BRC is a nonprofit, national recreation group that champions responsible recreation and encourages individual environmental stewardship. With members in all 50 states, BRC is focused on building enthusiast involvement with organizational efforts through membership, outreach, education and collaboration among recreationists. BRC works with land managers to provide recreation opportunities preserve resources and promote cooperation with other public land users. BRC members enjoy diverse recreational/aesthetic, commercial, specially permitted and other legally protectable interests in access to the National Forest System, including the Okanogan-Wenatchee Forest. Our members are particularly focused on a sustainable transportation network which supports diverse and enjoyable activities on the Forest. Our members enjoy automobile, SUV, 4 Wheel Drive, ATV/UTV, motorcycle, equestrian, mountain bike and hiking access to the Forests. This access itself is rewarding to many of our members, and additionally facilitates or is essential to other activities including camping, sightseeing, nature study, hunting, fishing, photography, forest product gathering (such as firewood, berries, mushrooms) and similar activities.

BRC generally supports the concept of the agency designating roads, trails, and areas for off-highway vehicle (OHV) use with public input in the decision-making process. As you know, the Forest is used year-round by OHV enthusiasts, mountain bikers, equestrians, hunters, fishermen, bird watchers, snowmobilers, hikers, woodcutters, and explorers. BRC appreciates the effort by the Forest via numerous public meetings to explain certain tenets of the Draft EA to interested parties in an effort to assist said interests in the formulation of their comments. BRC continues to encourage the public to send in site-specific and other related comments regarding this process.

We are aware that anti-access advocates will be challenging virtually any decision made on this project. It is important to note that the Forest has long received motorized travel along the routes in question, and to an even greater extent during times of less regulation and significant resource extraction activities on the Forest. In other words, every alternative is a meaningful reduction of historical OHV access which more than addresses the agency’s duties to designate a sustainable system of roads, trails, and areas for ongoing vehicle access.

Based on feedback from motorized recreationists that use the project area, BRC believes that Alternative D, with various modifications as suggested by OHV recreation enthusiasts (Alt. D), best meets the project purpose and need and should be the Preferred Alternative.

Alt. D should include the designation of certain maintenance level 1 roads as motorized trails, incorporating public comments related to how said trail would provide connectivity to the route system.

Alt. D or the Alternative selected in the final decision document should address the access concerns of the Southeast Region Department of Natural Resources for the State of Washington.

BRC supports the minimization/mitigation measure that if motorized use on access routes within corridors for access to dispersed camping (corridors) is causing resource impacts beyond those predicted in this EA, the access route would be modified to minimize or eliminate the impact.

To minimize resource impacts, BRC supports the monitoring plan would be used to determine if the environmental effects of motorized access for dispersed camping projected in the EA are accurate, and when mitigation is needed to modify access routes in corridors so impacts are within the disclosed range of effects. Monitoring and evaluation would determine whether the motorized travel management decision has been properly implemented and how effective the implementation has proven to be in accomplishing the desired outcomes.

CONCLUSION

BRC believes the agency could have the basic foundation for a sustainable motorized travel management program by developing and adopting a modified/revised Alternative D (in the final decision document) based on additional comments by local and state access interests.

BRC appreciates this opportunity to be involved in the public planning process on behalf of its many members who enjoy recreation in the Forest and related units of the National Forest System. Please contact me if you have questions or wish to discuss any aspect of these comments or the ongoing designation process.

Sincerely,

Don
Don Amador
Western Representative
BlueRibbon Coalition, Inc.
555 Honey Lane
Oakley, CA 94561
Office: 925.625.6287
Email: brdon@sharetrails.org
Dave

Quote:

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:17 pm

So, the grapevine has it all of 9 people showed up in Mercer Island to support OHV...way to go wet side :glare:
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:44 am

Jennifer,

May I take a moment of your time to ask how things are progressing with review of the comments you received for the Draft EA? As you know, many of us have concerns over the number of trails affected, and how those closures will impact our ability to enjoy the Forest.

I also would urge you and your team to consider another round of open discussion via meetings with stakeholders. I am finding, through talking with other users, that consensus seems to be the original 30 day comment period was not enough for many of us to really get a handle on the thing.

I would also, once again, like to suggest holding a meeting in the Tri Cities area for those of us who may not have been able to participate in the first go round.

Again, thank you for your time and effort on the EA. I doubt enough credit goes to those that work on these cumbersome projects at times.

Regards,

Dave Walters
Tri Cities Peak Putters
Land Use Coordinator
Kennewick, WA
509-734-8694
Dave

Quote:

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Thanks Dave for keeping on top of this, I've been wondering how things have been going after the comments were submitted.

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”