Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

July Lands Report

Postby Grumpy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:57 pm

July 2017 Peak Putters Land Use Report

First the big deal. Lots of folks down in Central Oregon have put lots of effort over some time with the USFS to get new trails on the Ochoco NF. The FS approved the project the last week of June, and Oregon Wild sued to stop it the next day. Go figure. It’s 137 miles, and according to Randy Drake with DC4W, it’s pretty much all existing on the ground already. Level one roads, user made routes, and others trails that are being brought to standard. And just to rub salt in the wound, Great Old Broads for Wilderness have inflicted themselves into the conversation. I’m sure more will be popping up later.

The other item is the proposed McBee Grade cleanup. Steve Smith from BLM, Gretchen Graber from Institute for Applied Ecology and I drove up, looked it over, and decided there’s not enough to warrant a full blown attack. There is an area that is pretty messed up with shooting debris, but part of it is private, which precludes us or BLM doing much about it. So, no cleanup at this time.

Other than that, just keeping an eye on things around the OHV world.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”