USFS Ecosystem Restoration Policy

Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

USFS Ecosystem Restoration Policy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:42 pm

This is the rule as if May 27, 2016, and I have issues with it. I've commented about this before, and am about to start raising a ruckus about it...again.

My big gripe is this paragraph:

"A notice of availability of a proposed Ecological Restoration Policy (78 FR 56202) was published in the Federal Register on September 12, 2013 for public review and comment. A total of 16 comments were received: Five from non-affiliated members of the public, two from State government agencies, four from the timber industry, and five from non-governmental organizations."

Sixteen comments, nation wide! Only two states could take the time to put their nickle's worth in. And I'll bet anyone paying attention can take a pretty good shot at who those five NGOs were. With that little input, this thing never should have escaped from under the rock hiding it.

The other issue I have is some language included in this little tome. Read this paragraph. May be a couple times:

"This policy provides that “ecosystem restoration” can be carried out through the processes of ecological restoration and functional restoration. Ecological restoration typically focuses on recreating the ecosystem conditions that were present prior to European influences. However, some ecosystems may have been altered to such an extent that reestablishing pre-European conditions may be ecologically or economically infeasible. In such circumstances, management goals and activities should create functioning ecosystems in the context of changing conditions through the process called functional restoration."

Notice the phrase "pre-European conditions". Pretty sure we all know what that could mean, and I can hardly wait for whatever the FS comes up with.

I came across this late,for which I apologize, but I still plan on rattling some cages. I have had brief discussion with my Congressman and his staff, but other things have come up that left it hanging. I will be sending a copy of this to them,as well as posting it on a couple of other sites that have been handy for swapping info.

At any rate, that's my rant for now, and here's the "rule":

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...oration-policy
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Grumpy

Re: USFS Ecosystem Restoration Policy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Dave

Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon80

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”