Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Underhanded Politics

Postby Grumpy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:51 pm

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

Attention Recreationists!

Nicholas Haris, Western States Representative for the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), just sent us their latest News Release. I have pasted in a copy below, please take a couple of minutes to read it over, take action and pass it on to your friends.

Thanks in advance for your involvement,
Ric Foster
Public Lands Department Manager
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 107

news
release

A08018 Contact: Pete terHorst
March 19, 2008 Telephone: (877) 877-8969
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE E-mail: peter.terhorst@sympoint.com

NEW OFF-ROAD TRAILS BANNED IN WASHINGTON STATE

PICKERINGTON, Ohio--In a last-minute maneuver, Washington State lawmakers effectively banned the creation of new motorized off-road riding trails and facilities for at least a year, even though the state will continue collecting fees and taxes from those trail users, the American Motorcyclist Association reports.

The amendment to the budget bill was inserted at the last minute during a late-night conference committee meeting, leaving no chance for public input or debate, said AMA Western States Representative Nick Haris.

"It's hard to say which is more outrageous: the way this language was inserted in the bill in the dark of night, or the fact that the state of Washington plans to keep taking gasoline tax money and registration fees from off-road vehicle users -- money that is supposed to be used to create off-road recreation opportunites -- while giving the ORV community nothing in return for at least an entire year," said Haris.

The proposed state budget, which covers the period from July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2009, was approved by the full legislature on March 13 and the measure, ESHB2765, is now on Gov. Christine Gregoire's desk.

The ban on new trails and facilities was contained in a single paragraph buried on page 75 of a 129-page bill by a six-member conference committee that hammered out Senate and House differences over the proposed budget before sending the document to the floors of both chambers for final approval. The conference committee members were Sens. Karen Fraser (D-Thurston County), Debbie Regala (D-Tacoma) and Dale Brandland (R-Bellingham); and House members Bill Fromhold (D-Vancouver-Clark County), Shay Schual-Berke (D-SeaTac) and Joyce McDonald (R-Puyallup).

In the section of the budget that provides funding for the Department of Natural Resources recreation renovations, those lawmakers inserted 11th-hour language that reads:

"The department shall not plan for, or construct, new or expanded facilities or trails for off-road vehicles for recreation on state lands until after June 30, 2009, unless the project is already funded, has been considered as part of a landscape-level plan for recreation that has completed State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review, which included public participation, and is the best alternative to protect environmental or trust resources and public safety from immediate risk."

"These legislators owe the OHV community an explanation for why this language was added to the bill with no opportunity for public comment," said Haris. "Additionally, the AMA calls on Governor Gregoire to use her line-item veto to remove this unfair amendment from the budget bill."

The American Motorcyclist Association: rights. riding. racing. Founded in 1924, the AMA is a non-profit organization with 290,000 members. The Association's purpose is to protect and promote the interests of motorcyclists, while serving the needs of its members. For more information, visit the AMA website at www.AMADirectlink.com

To be removed from further mailings from our list please click the unsubscribe link
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:55 pm

I got through to the link. I would like to know who proposed the budget language and the reason it was put in the budget. I would urge your group to flood the governor's office by e-mail and telephone calls. The off road community needs to be heard strong on this. They, the budget writers, need to feel the heat.
I will ask staff what they can tell me about this.

Senator Jerome Delvin
8th Legislative District
Washington State

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:18 PM
To: Delvin, Sen. Jerome
Subject: Region 4 PNW4WDA :: View topic - New Off-Road trails banned inWashington State

Let me know if you have trouble with the link. If you do, I'll have our admin set you up so you can see it.

Dave

http://region4pnw4wda.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1335 - Release Date: 3/19/2008 9:54 AM
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:02 am

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:02 pm Post subject: ESHB2765 - Reply

As to the subject at hand, these are my comments and findings with regards to ESHB2765 - 2008 Governor's Budget ( Section 3040 pages 75-76)

Last Fall, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), requested appropriations under the agency's Recreation Capital Renovation program. The Legislature directed a one-time expenditure request ($900,000) out of the Non Highway Off Road Vehicle Activities (NOVA) account and specifically to be used to develop a recreational plan at Reiter ORV Block, Athaum State Forest; and develop statewide sign standards.

ESHB2765 does provide appropriations ($200,000) for trail system signage projects; the bill further states "the department shall not plan for or construct new or expanded facilities or trails for off road vehicles for recreation on state lands until June 2009"......etc.
I have been informed this stipulation was a last minute add on to address a concern that the Department may be getting ahead (cart before the horse) of the outcome of the Recreation Study Bill (SHB2472 - to establish a working group; seek to improve opportunities on state land). (See further information on bill - posted March 13th - Land/Legislature Issues section).

I have been informed - the Department will still go forward with Reiter, Ahtanum and Yacolt projects. They are existing projects; have conducted public meetings seeking information, comments and concerns in planning for future opportunities for the specific site. Reiter ORV "Foothills" (Block) completion is planned early next year and should coincide with the statewide Recreation Study (HB2472).

With regards to the trail sign projects - instead of spreading the money allotment across the state (divided by six regions) - the Department has taken two (Tahuya and Capitol Forest) to completely re-sign. The goal is to have the sign project completed and installed in August and September.

As for those who are asking for direction on this issue - anyone at anytime can exercise their rights by contacting their respective legislator; and/or request the Governor to veto a line-item portion or portions of any bill, stating what they are objecting to - i.e. the ORV provision.

However, I believe the action alert that Blue Ribbon sent to their members in regards to this legislation was premature and clarifying information was available but not throughly researched before action taken.

Any questions, please contact me - I am doing a follow up on this issue - more information to follow.

Arlene
Dave

Quote:

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”