Land Update May 2019

Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Land Update May 2019

Postby Grumpy » Sat May 04, 2019 10:12 am

1. A fairly big deal is a gas tax proposal in Olympia that would not have included a required boost in NOVA contributions was pulled due to pressure from some legislators and OHV lobbyists. Failure to include the increase is in conflict with constitutional requirements.

2. As you've likely seen me raving about, the Blue Mountains Forests Plan Revision was withdrawn after objector meetings last November. Being the cynical sort I can be, I fully expect the ecomongers to file suit to have it restored. My guess would be Conservation Northwest and Oregon Wild.

3. The BLM has stopped work on its Eastern Washington Resource Management Plan "due to changes in current policy". I'm trying to pry more out of them.

4. BlueRibbon Coalition has put the pending negotiations on the Columbia River Treaty between the U.S. and Canada on its watch list. Recreation is an item, but at this point, I have no idea how all of this may affect motorized recreation. I'm trying to get more info from them, but that new boss they have ain't none too good at returning phone calls.

5. Meetings are upcoming on Taneum. Details are on our Facebook page. There is a field trip on May 16th. Details are on the Forest website. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform

6. WOHVA has applied for a NOVA grant for trail construction and maintenance and may have a good shot at getting it. My fellow board member, Nancy Toenyan, is on the grant committee and is keeping us posted as she can within the rules.

7. I've managed to finagle a contact on the staff of the Congressional Western Caucus, and hope that may give us some inside info on their activities. Time will tell.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”