Land issues, laws, restrictions, etc...

Moderator: Grumpy

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Juniper Correspondence

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:01 pm

Dave,

Senator Hewitt is traveling, and thus is unable to respond.

I will say that the Senator has received multiple calls in the past and throughout the year regarding Juniper Dunes access, and that he supports greater access to the site for recreational purposes. But, as you know, the issue is one that has to be resolved in the federal domain. Recognizing that the abundance of outdoor recreational opportunities is one of the best parts of the area, that off-road vehicle recreation is a major attraction for our region, Senator Hewitt has supported past legislative efforts to increase access to those regional amenities, and opposed efforts aimed at reducing them.

Typically, I refer constituent inquiries on Juniper Dunes to the offices of either Congressman Hastings, or Congresswoman Mc-Morris-Rodgers. But, you seem have an excellent grasp on what's happened so far, and on who is in a position to advocate for greater access to the property.

When contacted, Senator Hewitt has long supported opening up the site for greater access to outdoors enthusiasts such as yourself, but there isn't anything we can do on the state level because it isn't state-held land. Just a guess, but I do think that other area representatives in the legislature support increased access as well.

This is a difficult topic though. Many representatives in our region support individual property ownership rights over such things as water, and have been fighting to restrict eminent domain application (the ability of a municipality to take your land for the common good), reduce property taxes, which, given unpredictable and in some cases astronomical assessments, have been slamming those on fixed incomes (seniors), while helping to interpret the Critical Areas Ordinances which restrict property development. But, Juniper Dunes, as you'll agree, is a special piece of land unique to our region in it's beauty, biodiversity, and recreational opportunities. I think the compromise that Congressman Hastings has been hammering out over the past year is the right approach for both private land owner, and public recreational users. As always though, sound stewardship is what sustains that balance.

If I can be of any further service, please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Best,

Barrett Pryce
16th District Legislative Assistant
(360) 786-7630

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:52 PM
To: Hewitt, Sen. Mike
Cc: Jose Ybarra; Earl & Sande Nettnen; Delvin, Sen. Jerome
Subject: Juniper Dunes Access

Sen. Hewitt;

I don't live in your district, but an area of interest to me and many others is the current lack of legal access to Juniper Dunes, which, if I read the map right, is in your District. As you likely know, Juniper is a popular play area for ORV enthusiasts, from motorcycles to full size 4x4's. I realize this is a federal issue as it's BLM land, but I feel that our State Legislators should have some input as to the area's future. Peterson Road, leading in to Juniper, is private, and the land owners would be in their rights to block access, which has happened. Currently we can get out to the area, but that's not to say this will remain the case. I would like to solicit your thoughts on this, and welcome any guidance or assistance you may be able to offer. I am in touch with Doc Hastings, and he is very much on our side in this matter, but I feel the local rep should have some input as well. Thank you for you time, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

Dave Walters
Tri Cities Peak Putter 4x4 Club
Land Use Coordinator
PNW4WDA Delegate

www.peakputters.com
www.rumblegoatracing.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”