Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Smokey Bear Ad Article

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Don Amador, BRC Western Representative
Phone: (925) 625-6287
Fax: (925) 625-5309
Email: brdon@sharetrails.org
Webpage: http://www.sharetrails.org/staff/#DonA
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

US Forest Service approved spark arrestor.
Click image to enlarge.
The advertisement in question on SmokeyBear.com
Click image to enlarge. POCATELLO, ID (July 21) — A national trail recreation group is strongly urging the Smokey Bear program to revise its current ATV fire prevention campaign. On behalf of outraged OHV enthusiasts, the BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) contacted the Ad Council last week strongly urging them to withdraw the inaccurate and inflammatory ATV-oriented public service advertisements.

BRC reviewed the ad material posted at www.smokeybear.com and found the PSA was sending the wrong message to riders operating their ATVs in a legal manner with functioning USDA Forest Service approved spark arrestors. The ad implied that the proper way for motorized recreationists to prevent wildfires is for them to load up their vehicles and go home.

Smokey Bear has historically cautioned the public against careless acts, such as tossing a lighted cigarette out of a moving automobile or not properly extinguishing a campfire. BRC feels this ad should be focused on educating the public about using approved spark arrestors on their OHVs and confining their use to legal roads, trails, and areas.

Don Amador, BRC spokesperson on the use of sound compliant mufflers and spark arrestors, states, "As an advocate for the use of legal exhaust systems on public and private lands, I found the current Smokey Bear ATV wildfire PSA to be offensive, unethical, and unprofessional. The ad should have been focused on encouraging enthusiasts to use legal spark arrestors on their OHVs and stay on designated routes."

"Smokey Bear is inappropriately using a mountain biker as a surrogate to tell members of the motorized trail community that the best way for them to prevent wildfires is to just stay home. This ad sends the wrong message at a time when many government and civic leaders are encouraging young people to step away from their video games and get out and enjoy the great outdoors," Amador continues.

"BRC has heard from a number of our recreation partners and agency staff who are equally outraged by this PSA. It is our hope the Ad Council, Forest Service, and National Association of State Foresters withdraw this ad and work with BRC and other stakeholders to develop a legitimate outreach program to the OHV community," Amador concludes.

BRC's response to the advertisement can be found here: http://www.sharetrails.org/files/BRC-Re ... 8Jul16.pdf

# # #

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible use of public and private lands, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742. www.sharetrails.org
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

sams88

Postby sams88 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:55 pm

It's good to see something positive for the ORV sport! :D
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm
88 yota p/u

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Anybody have a link to the offending ad?
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:20 am

In second paragraph above...
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:32 am

Ad has been pulled...
Dave

Quote:

Return to “Land Matters & Legislative Issues”