Peak Putters - Rimrock - Aug 18-19, 2007

Pics and reports of past Rimrock runs
commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Peak Putters - Rimrock - Aug 18-19, 2007

Postby commando14 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:42 pm

This was a overnight tent campin run to Rimrock called by Curtis. We only had two rigs for this run, Curtis's CJ and my Comanche.

Saturday morning we left the tow rigs at the Ahtanum snow park. From there we headed up to Blue Lake and them up and over into the Rimrock trail system. I don't recall all of the trails we hit, but Curtis had it all mapped out.

Right away we came across a steep and rather tight hill, with some big boulders to avoid. I got a few new dents on this hill. Actually I got quite a bit of body damage, I was having a hard time fitting through some of the spots. Curtis came away without any body damage. Then not much later we had two more real loose and steep hillclimbs. We both had to really work at it and claw our way to the top.

Curtis planned on camping at a elk camp that he knows of along one of the trails, but we didn't cover as much ground as expected. It was getting late when we came out on a gravel road. We couldn't find a good camping spot so we headed down and camped at one of the campgrounds by Rimrock Lake. Curtis cooked up some darn good shrimp at camp!

It pretty much rained all Saturday night and morning. Sunday morning we packed up the tents and headed for the trail around 8:30am. It was cold and foggy. We were a little worried about the rain making the trails slick, but it actually seemed to help with traction. And it was so nice with no dust!

It was a great run and we covered a lot of trails. We met two other groups of Jeeps. One group was from the West side, and I'm not sure where the others were from. One of them recognized my Jeep from EWOR.

Also we came across a Forest service Jeep. It was a Rubicon and had stickers I believe said "enforcement and education". Apparently they had a report of a broken down YJ and they were looking for it.

I only got two short videos.
This first one is Kristen trying to film us going up the first nasty hill climb. I was trying to avoid a tree on my side, but I didn't miss the one on the passenger side:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdQW5af4kCo[/youtube]

And here is Curtis going up one of the steep loose hill climbs:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0QTnPcqnH0[/youtube]

Here we are at Blue Lake on Saturday morning:

On top of the lookout:

Dropping down into Rimrock:

Right away we hit a pretty good mud hole:

I got too far to the left and it started getting deep.

I tried to back up but wasn't moving, so I had to push forward:

We had water coming in the floor but I made it through.

This was a real tight spot.. Curtis squeezed through ok.

I gave it shot, but I was just too wide and had to take the bypass:

This was a very off camber hillside:

These pics are from Sunday.. a little foggy and cold.

Last edited by commando14 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:24 pm

Oh yeah, the pics above are both mine and Curtis's. It was hard getting pics with only two rigs, and I forgot to bring spare batteries!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:35 pm

Curtis' video needs to have a "don't try this at home" sticker on it.

He knows when to say when. . .that would have ended very badly for many other drivers.

oddball
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby oddball » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:59 pm

Trails we ran. Starting at Blue Lake we ran 615 east, then 637 to 661 to 641 to 651. Unknowingly we made camp with a large church group from Yakima on their retreat in a reserved group area. The pastor let us stay, invited us to their morning service and talked to David and Kristen for a while. Something must of taken hold because later that night I herd a lot of God talk coming from their tent. We snuck out Sunday morning. Ran up 677 to 637 to636 to Blue lake. Then we took 638 to 640 all the way to road 1000. Backtracked up 640 to 642 to 615 to Blue Lake again. Then back to the snow park. Great trip, from Friday night to Sunday night. The weather made things interesting. Lets do it again, soon.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:48 pm

I feel better since the pics are posted. :lol:

Looks like a great time for sure.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:15 pm

Dave and Curtis,

Looks like an excellent weekend....wish I could have gone. :( I missed the first rim rock run being out of town and this weekend we had a family birthday party....maybe I can make the next one. :D

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:26 pm

oddball wrote:. Something must of taken hold because later that night I herd a lot of God talk coming from their tent.

I don't care who you are... that's funny
Last edited by SPR on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:26 pm

oddball wrote:. Something must of taken hold because later that night I herd a lot of God talk coming from their tent.

I don't care you are... that's funny
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:29 pm

oddball wrote: Something must of taken hold because later that night I herd (heard) a lot of God talk coming from their tent.

I don't care who you are... that's funny

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:30 pm

oddball wrote: Something must of taken hold because later that night I herd (heard) a lot of God talk coming from their tent.

I don't care who you are... that's so funny it is worth saying twice.

Damm goofy Submit button

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:09 pm

Cool pix, guys :!: ...Steve, you need to work on that problem :lol:
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Rimrock”