Peak Putters - Rimrock, Sept 2008

Pics and reports of past Rimrock runs
SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Peak Putters - Rimrock, Sept 2008

Postby SPR » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:36 am

Curtis called a "Camp out of your rig" run to the Rimrock area during the Labor Day weekend. Inspite of the crummy weather forecast, it was sunny and pleasent. The temperature did drop below freezing at night.

Rob incurred the first break down with a trailer tire blow out just prior the snow park. Luckily, a local resident, gave Rob a good tire and rim for free. I suspect he didn't want Rob's rig parked in front of his driveway. :wink:

We left the snow park around 0930 hours. Shortly afterwards, David's rig let off some steam. He plugged the hole with a little JB weld and penny.

We ran up past the Blue Slide Look Out to the 613 trail and then drop down toward the Short and Dirty / 661 trail.

Somewhere along the trail, we bumped into these two characters. Little did we know that Ed and Paul would play a major role in the enjoyment of our weekend.

Roy on the 661 trail

Roy on the 661 trail (last year) :P

These trails are tight, rocky and steep. Shortly after Nomad Meadows, we took the 641 trail. This trail is very tight but very cool.

Image :shock:

Group Shot at Nomad Meadows (661 trail?)

Late in day 1, we finished up with the 601 trail. Ed had hollered at Curtis on the CB to invite us to camp with them at Sleepy Meadows. The fire was going when we got there and we had fine visit with, Paul, Ed, Bill Collins, Doug O and their families.

Day 2

The following morning, we packed up the rigs and followed Ed up to the 538 and 661 trail. We did a little trail work along the way.

Later, we hooked up with the 636 trail... All was going well, then ka-pop! Rich's rig popped two studs on a steering arm. Rich and Ed quickly pulled off the knuckle. As luck would have it. Ed tore a small hole in the sidewall of a tire. Rob, broke out the plug set which seem to work fine. However, Ed's spare tire is sick, so to be safe, we swapped Rich's spare tire for Ed's chainsaw.

Paul and Ed took off to Naches with the knuckle to remove the sheared studs and find new bolts. Roy then noticed that his rig had two sheared bolts on the streering box mount. Ed and Paul planned to meet up with us in the morning with the repaired part. We found a camping spot at a nearby elk camp. Roy quickly went to work replacing one of two sheared bolts on his power steering box. He figured that he was good to go with three out of four bolts in place. We have a pretty good time at camp eating manly food and telling stories until I read aloud a spooky bigfoot encounter that occurred on Divide Ridge in the mid 1990's. The story seem to rattle the troop terribly. Feeling bad, I stayed up all night to stand watch. The troop tried to hide their fear by pretending to snore all night.

[img]

Day 3

As planned, Ed and Paul showed up with the repairs and Bill. Rich and Ed put everything back together and we were quickly on our way to run Blue Slide (down hill only) and Butcher Knife trails.

You could really feel the love in the air after getting Rich's rig repaired... until we read this showed up :shock:

Here is Blue Slide. Like always, the pictures don't do it justice.

The troop took a short break to shake out the butterflies and get ready for the next couple of chutes

Once down in the bottoms, more tight trail and serious mud hole. It is a good thing that Rob has more mirrors at home. :P

Rob started talking $h!t about the mud hole, so Roy and Paul pushed a few logs in the way.

Done with Blue Slide, we ran up the Tieton River to run Butcher's knife. We did not run the Butcher's "sweet butter" Knife. We ran up the Butcher's "serrated pig stricker" Knife. I don't think it is even on the map and that is good thing, because I don't want to find it again. It consists of three hard climbs, large and loose rocks, tight trees, and root wads in bad spots. We did a fair bit of winching on this trail due to the terrian and two break downs. Going down this would be crazy. Here are a few pictures.

Roy snapped a front u-joint/yoke. Ed winched him up the hill and then David threw a tugg'en strap on Roy to help him through the rough stuff. At one point, Ed had a strap on David while David had a strap on Roy. This combination did not work so well on a sharp corner. David quickly found his rig balanced on the two passenger tires "Dukes of Hazzard" style. Ed let off and David settled back to the ground before I could snap a picture. David's eyes were as big a golf balls during the event.

Shortly after this shot, Rob snapped a rear u-joint that could not be fixed on the trail. Rich threw a strap on Rob and, for the most part, drug Rob up the trail.

We parted ways with Ed, Paul, and Bill around 1730 hours above Blue Lake on Divide Ride. Like tired cowboys, they drove off into the sunset, and we happily headed eastward back to the snowpark to pack up.

At this point, Curtis was the only one not to incur a breakdown. But Murphy was not done with us. Curtis' jeep ran out of fuel up by Snow Cabin. Luckily, on the morning of Day 2, I had bought 5 gallons of fuel from Ed... Rich's rig is a thirsty monster and, like a good boyscout, I wanted to be prepared. After a couple of gallons and a bit of cranking, we were bombing down to the snow park.

About dusk we packed up and headed home....What a trip.

Last edited by SPR on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:17 am

Keep the pictures coming, please.
Last edited by bobracing on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:20 am

Looks like a blast. Wish I could have made this one.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Outstanding guys....when are we running this again? Soon I hope!

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:42 pm

The trails were tight that's for sure. Ed took us up stuff I would have never dreamed of trying. The front Arb not working made it even more difficult. :x

I bent the already bent lower control arm even more, and managed to break a u joint and u joint strap one of the last hill climbs.

What a great time!

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:58 pm

Whats wrong with your arb now?

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:06 pm

I'm not sure. You hit the switch and there's no leaks at the front locker as the pump turns off but Ed took a look and said it wasn't engaging when I did a hill climb. Maybe the piston's stuck.

Just a note-Never buy a used ARB from someone you don't know.

Oh yeah and I did have to order up another driver's side mirror. lol

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Great pics Steve. It was a great time. I think Monday's run was probably the most challenging trail I've been on.

I'll get my pics posted in the next few days.. I have 211 pics to sort through :shock:

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:52 am

Right on! Great pics and report.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:13 am

This was a great time, I can't wait for next year 8)

Group shot at Blue Lake:

Dropping down into Rimrock:

This trail was real tight, we stacked logs to get Rich through the trees in a few spots:

Saturday night we pitched our tents at Sleepy Park:

Mid-day Sunday, Rich had two sheered studs on the steering knuckle:

Ed and Paul were going to take the knuckle to Paul's shop to remove the sheered studs. As he was turning around he noticed a tire was flat and there was rip in the sidewall. Rob had a plug kit and they were able to plug the hole with several plugs.

Then my dad noticed he sheered off three steering box bolts:

Ed didn't have a very good spare, so Rich's spare was swapped onto Ed's incase the plug didn't hold on the way back down:

We left Rich's rig for the night and camped just a little ways up the trail at an elk camp:

Ed and Paul showed up Monday morning with the steering knuckle. After re-assembly we were back on the trail. We headed down Blue Slide. The pictures don't show just how steep it really is.

We then headed back up a un-mapped trail with several steep rocky hill climbs with nasty roots and ledges. I'd have to say this was probably the most overall challenging trail I've been on.

We were close to the top when my dad lost a front driveline u-joint taking the yoke with it. Ed winched him the rest of the way up the hill climb.

Just a few minutes later on the trail, Rob lost a rear u-joint. We noticed he had a bent rear control arm as well so that probably contributed to u-joint.

I hooked onto my dad to help him up the hills, but needed more pulling power in a few spots. So Ed hooked onto me to make the pulling easier. At one point Ed was making a uphill turn and my dad got hung up on a tree. I was stuck in the middle and suddendly found myself way up in the air on two tires. I was trying to grab the CB when Ed noticed and let off, I settled back down upright but I thought for sure I was going over.

Last edited by commando14 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:36 am

You guys have too much fun. Nice report Dave.

rjjff

Postby rjjff » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Great Pictures Guys!!! I had a great time and looking forward to the next one. Special thanks to Ed and Paul for the help with the steering arm studs. I think I'll narrow it up a bit for the next run to Rimrock.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Kind of funny, there is a picture of Rich and I trying to push Curtis off a tree. However, his wheels were turned into the tree. No wonder we sucked :lol:
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:14 pm

commando14 wrote:

Screaming Toylet wrote:Kind of funny, there is a picture of Rich and I trying to push Curtis off a tree. However, his wheels were turned into the tree. No wonder we sucked :lol:

Yeah, I noticed that myself, but I didn't say anything. I'm no engineer or anything. :lol:
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:33 pm

Well guys, I'm truly jealous. I've already got next year blocked out on the calendar. :yahoo

So what do you guys do for an encour so I can make my fall travel plans?

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 pm

Danny wrote:Well guys, I'm truly jealous. I've already got next year blocked out on the calendar. :yahoo

Danny that's good to hear... Curtis already has some good plans for next year :wink:

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:35 pm

That bent control arm definitely did my u joint in on the rear Driveshaft. Thanks to Jose, I got the new u joint on, I got 2 control arms and some good advice on strengthening them up so they won't bend again.

I've got the rear driveshaft back in and some 1 inch tube steel to add some strength to the control arms.

oddball
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby oddball » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Steve I was just testing your strength. Actually I have it in reverse trying to pivot around that tree and get the front end pointed in the right direction.

sams88

Postby sams88 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Beautiful pictures and good write-ups!!! You are probably going to have several more people doing this next year! :D
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm
88 yota p/u

Return to “Rimrock”